Military Families

Afraid of doing this without a little help

although im extremely greatful my husband will be home when i deliver, i am still very anxious about taking care of a newborn.  mostly because ive 1) never done this before and 2) it will literally just be myself and DH, because no one is going to be able to come visit for the birth.  If we do get visitors, they may only be able to stay for a few days at the most. Ive just started thinking lately about all the things we will have to juggle on our own like taking care of baby, as well as dishes, laundry, cooking, and our two dogs!  I know that my husband will be a big help, but it just seems so overwhelming and an extra hand around the house sounds sooo amazing. 

does anyone have experience doing this all on your own?  or just yourself and DH?  it prob isnt as bad as im picturing, but i cant help but bite my nails a little bit! on the flip side it might be really good for us as a bonding experience with our baby (we dont get along the greatest with everyone in our family) and so having visitors left and right would prob irritate the crap out of me too! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Afraid of doing this without a little help

• You will have days when you want to cry, but you will manage.  I have four kids between the ages of 12 and 3.  There are days I want to pull my hair out or run join the circus.  When I start to feel like that, I go shut my self in my room or sit on the porch and count to 100 while I breath slowly.  I feel better and carry on. 

Taking care of a newborn and getting into a routine takes some time.  Be patient don't get frustrated.  If the laundry doesn't get washed one day or the floor doesn't get mopped, don't worry about it.  Do what you can and then get your H to help out in the evenings and weekends. 

You can do it.  Don't freak out. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS is 5, and we've not had a single day of help with him. No one came for the birth, and I didn't expect them to. You'll figure it out. Be prepared to be exhausted, stressed, and to argue with your DH. It is all normal, and it will pass. With this LO, I'm having a c-section, so my mom is coming in for the birth. I doubt she will be much help with the baby, but her role is basically to sleep at the house with DS while I'm in the hospital so DH can stay with me. You'll be fine. Just take it one day at a time. Focus on yourself and the baby. The housework will get done eventually.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We had DD in March in Germany and it was just the two of us.  Then DH deployed when she was 2 months old and it's been just me since then.  I also have a dog, live on the 3rd floor, and laundry is in the basement.  To tell you the truth, it's been fairly easy.  Yes there are long nights where I wish someone else could help me feed the baby, but I EBF so that wouldn't be very possible anyway.  Yes there are days where I dread having to walk the dog up and down three flights of stairs wearing a baby in the cold rain.  But things have to get done, so I do them.  And they're never as bad as I expect before hand.  Overall it really hasn't been that bad.  I think things will work out better than you're imagining.  Just take it one day at a time and you'll get into your own routine and things will all work out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • I don't know if you live on or near a base or not, but with our base there are so many support programs to help new parents.  We actually have a "New Parent Support Program" which you can use to have the nurse who runs it make home visits to help with support. 

I am so nervous about doing this on my own as well, but I thankfully have made wondeful friends who have offered their support.  Do you not know any other wives near by---If so I'm sure that they would be more than happy to help in any way they can!  The one thing I love about military life is the fact you can make friends with people who have likely been through things you are going through already and give you great advice and help.  I hope that you can find friends like that before your LO arrives!
  • Babies sleep a TON.  And while having a newborn is stressful, I never felt like I couldn't get the basics done on my own.  DH and I have chosen not to have "help" from family after the birth of our babies.  We have enjoyed having that time to bond as a family.  I usually am ready for visitors (more than a few hours at a time) after 3 or 4 weeks.

Most of this is in your head.  Yes, it is your first baby and you are going to be stressed.  But it won't be because you have a zillion things to do.  Babies eat, sleep, and need diaper changes.  Having meals on hand (frozen) and not being afraid of paper plates and take-out for a few weeks might also lower your stress level.

The moral - you will be completely 100% fine. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Thanks ladies, I'm feeling a lot better about everything now, and trying to look on the brighter side.  I think the fact that we live 2 1/2 hours away from our families may be a blessing in disguise, because when we go home to visit I get ridiculously stressed trying to visit with everyone and just want to relax!  And it feels like I never get to spend any alone time with my husband when we go to visit and we consider it our "vacation"...HA! Anyways, I just keep telling myself, we can do this!  And I know a lot of people have raised babies under worse circumstances. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your do fine. It's a big change in our lives but we learn what to do. It's going to be long nights and things like that but we just have to look at the bright side and look how cute our babies are going to be. Stay positive.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"