March 2011 Moms

Do you still nurse & rock to sleep?

I know many of your LO's are perfectly content with being put down on their own, but DS still gets rocked to sleep for naps and nursed to sleep for bedtime.  He's super alert all.the.time. and has a hard time shutting out the world, so he often needs help calming down.  After reading the Babywise book that someone gave to me, I want to try to get him to fall asleep on his own for naps just because in one month he'll be going to a nanny. Mommy has the magic touch to rocking him to sleep and I don't want her to get frustrated with him.  

Starting today,  I thought I'd give it a try.  He was giving me tired cues, so I gave him his paci and put him down.  He is in his PnP behind me.  His sleep sheep has now changed from beach to rain to the annoying whale noise.  I don't know what that child is doing in there!

How many of you still rock & nurse? Please tell me I'm not alone in waiting this long to try something like this.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you still nurse & rock to sleep?

• We just started trying to lay him down awake for naps and bedtime within the last week or two.  Some days he does great, other days not so much.  So no, you're not alone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine still gets a bottle before nap time and bedtime. Most times I can get him to lay down still partly awake and he does fine, but it doesn't always work. Normally the only reason it doesn't work is when he rolls over. He will only sleep on his side for some reason. So if he finds himself on his back he'll cry for me to come roll him back over to his comfy side. 

The first time I put him down when he was still awake, I didn't think he would go to sleep, but he did! I would try weaning him from it! Nurse him until he's almost asleep and then put him down and let him fall asleep in his crib or PnP. Ease his way to going down awake. :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I still nurse her to sleep for bedtimes and naps.  I think they give her a bottle and then swaddle her for naps at daycare and that seems to work for them.  Once she's a little older, we're going to do Ferber, so hopefully then we will change her nighttime routine and put her down drowsy but awake.  But for now I'm just going to keep doing what works!
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Me!  Still nursing her to sleep.  But!  We found out that rocking her with her pacifier works just as well as long as she's not hungry, of course.  So it's not just me who can put her to sleep, but also her daddy and grandparents ... She fell asleep on her own about 2-3 times in total. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, we loosely try EASY, just because I was tired of people (my mom, DH) telling me he was hungry when I had just fed him 90 minutes before... he just snuggles my breast/ the breast of whomever is rocking him when he wants to sleep.  I rock him/ snuggle him to sleep for naps with a paci but nurse to sleep at bedtime.  I am more concerned with having him fall asleep on his own for naps since I won't be there to put him to sleep come August 29th :(:(:( 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh, I HATE the whale noise. It sounds like something is dying.
  • :sigh:  Me...I am soo frustrated because even that isn't working great anymore. Most of the time I lay him down asleep and he is waking right back up. He is also now waking up every 3-4 hours to eat at night. If I'm not getting any sleep anyway might as well just start working on it now.
  • my LO is also super-alert.  she has a baby einstein aquarium/sound machine in her crib and if i turn on the light she gets batty!  for naps, i don't rock but she is still napping in her little lamb swing (no swinging though).  i've tried putting her in the pack n play but she just flails like mad.  at night she gets her last bottle and then i rock her at little before putting her down in her crib. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"