Washington Babies

10 days old - time for a birth story! Louie III

10 days overdue and with no progress in sight, we scheduled an induction...Saturday the 16th was the date. 5am.  We got the whole clan up and out the door and headed for Overlake.

Induction was tough - contractions started Friday night (better lte than never, right?), figured we were going in for induction on Saturday anyway.  Checked in at 5am, OB broke my water at 7am and it was muddy - lots of meconium.  contractions were getting more intense and closer so we just kept an eye on everything.  I wlked the halls like a mad woman and got monitored every 30 minutes or so.  Contractions were progressing but slowly.  3 min. apart but still not bringing the progress my OB was hoping for.  Cervix went to 3 and 90% but baby wasn't dropping into the pelvis like he should. 

By noon or so, the contractions started to slow down so we did some pitocin (which I was REALLY hoping to avoid).  I wasn't thrilled but knew that with the meconium in the water, we needed to really get the show on the road.  Pitocin kicked my butt.  Contractions were longer, stronger, and no break in the middle, me breathing to get through them was getting harder, and I asked for pain relief in hopes of just getting through the roughest part.  Around this time, c-section was discussed as a "if this doesn't work" option - baby wasn't tolerating contractions very well and still hasn't descended...I labored for an hour on Nubain and when the hour was nearly up, I asked for an epidural.  Anything to get closer to delivery - I had given up on my "natural birth" plan. 

Around 3pm, OB came over to me and told me as gently as possible "we've got to get this baby out now."  I'd be lying if I said I took it well.  I knew it was serious - I knew that something was going wrong - I sobbed.  My poor DH sobbed with me in empathy.

They prepped me and I cried all the way to the OR.  I was terrified.  Truly terrified on so many levels.  This was not the birth I pictured but I knew from the look on my OB's face that this was our best option for my "healthy mom, healthy baby" birth plan

at 4:10pm, Louis H. III was born.  7 pounds 9 ounces, 9/9 Apgars.  I watched them re-assemble me in the reflection of the OR lights - surreal.  I could feel everything they were doing with the exception of pain.  tugging, pushing, prodding, pouring water to clean up...but no pain.  NOT something I ever want to see/hear/feel again.  Ever.

today's day 10 or so...and he's sleeping well, nursing like a champ (although I think he broke my right boob!!  it hurts like hell when he latches - a new development!!), really only squeaks when he's ready to eat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 10 days old - time for a birth story! Louie III

• Welcome to the World Louie!

Congratulations Mama! You did everything you needed to do to get that little man safely here - Good Job!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Congratulations and welcome to the world, Louis!

I know it wasn't the birth you wanted, but you did everything to ensure that your little boy arrived safely! I hope your recovery is going well and that your right boob feels better soon :-)

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering when you had the little guy. I m glad he's here healthy and happy. Congrats!
  • Congratulations again, mama! I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it. I'm so glad you and baby are doing great.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congratulations!  I'm glad that you are both doing well!
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Congrats Mama! I know it wasn't what you wanted (and eerily close to my own experience) but I hope you come to terms with it and know you did what was best for him. And I hope you don't go back to your day job for a long time, and those teens wait on you hand and foot! :)
  • congrats!  Glad your ok and doing well!
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Sounds rough, but glad all is well, and he's now an outside baby.

• Congrats! I've been wondering about you! Glad that you ended up with a healthy mom and healthy baby! :)
  • Congratulations! Sorry that you didn't get to experience the delivery you wanted but glad you both are healthy and happy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Congratulations!  Sounds like a tough, scary and hard time, but I am so glad little Louie is here and healthy!
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats!!!  And a healthy baby is the most important part!

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• Congratulations! I have been thinking of you and wondering how it went. Glad to hear things are calming down and getting better (except for the right boob). Congrats again!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo
  • Congrats!  I'm so happy he is doing well!  I hope that right boob clears up soon!
    M + K = 05.16.09 | A.P. = 02.27.11
  • Congrats! Glad to hear you are both well!
  • Congrats and welcome baby Louie!  I'm sorry you weren't able to have the birth experience you had hoped for, but I'm glad he's healthy and thriving and know that you did whatever needed to ensure a healthy baby and safe delivery so great job mama!  Can't wait to see pics!

image Visit The Nest!

• Congrats! "Healthy mom, healthy baby" is my favorite mantra for that situation. Glad to hear things are going well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"