D.C. Area Babies

Help with streamlining the morning scrambled eggs?

Ack! I'm going back to work in 1.5 weeks. I can't believe my maternity leave is almost over. I'm trying to figure out our game plan for the mornings since now we'll have to get *two* kids ready in the morning.

The thing that takes the most time in the morning is making DD#1's scrambled eggs. I give her eggs every morning because she doesn't eat much meat and so I really want her to get this protein each day.

We sometimes make eggs the night before and then microwave them in the morning so I know I could do that. However, do you think I could make a whole big batch of scrambled eggs for the week and then just take what I need each morning and microwave it? I don't really eat eggs so I don't know how well they would hold up. Or, does anyone have any ideas on how I could streamline the morning eggs process?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Help with streamlining the morning scrambled eggs?

• Not sure about making them ahead of time, but I know when my stepmom makes scrambled eggs she always does them in a microwave. I think she mixes them up in a little bowl or mug, microwaves them, and then the girls can eat right out of the mug. It doesn't take long, so that might work for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• DH will often microwave a raw egg in a little Pyrex bowl. It only takes a minute or so and seems fully cooked, though you might want to look up any food safety issues for yourself.

I don't know about making a whole batch of scrambled eggs, but would she eat hard boiled? You could definitely make a big batch of those. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagetomandcourt:
    Not sure about making them ahead of time, but I know when my stepmom makes scrambled eggs she always does them in a microwave. I think she mixes them up in a little bowl or mug, microwaves them, and then the girls can eat right out of the mug. It doesn't take long, so that might work for you.

Ha! I think this is a family trick!

• Hmm, I really like the idea of doing it in the microwave. Part of the issue with cooking them in the morning on the stove is that you have to keep an eye on them and it takes about 5-10 minutes. There have been many times that I overcooked or burned the eggs because I left the kitchen to tend to something and totally forgot about them. So, the microwave idea sounds like it could work well.

I'm wondering if I could scramble the eggs in 5 different coffee mugs at the beginning of the week and then cover them with saran wrap and put them in the fridge. That way in the morning, all I'd have to do is grab a mug and put it in the microwave.

Thanks ladies. I felt sort of dumb asking this question but you all always have such great ideas.

• kastlekastle member

i've made a big batch of eggs before & ate off them for days. they are certainly better when they are straight out of the pan, but they aren't terrible leftover.  they do tend to weep a bit, though. you could even bake in muffin tins (a la south beach diet mini-quiches) so they are single-serving size.

another idea (if you generally put things into the eggs) it to make a big frittata & just warm up slices.

• when I googled, I found this link from chowhound. they say scrambled eggs keep nicely - but they are so quick to make in the microwave might not be worth it. I guess all you can do is try!

Will the cup/bowl be too hot for your DD to eat out of? I have done this before, but don't remember if the mug got too hot! I would assume not... we buy egg beaters (well, the store brand of it anyways) and it gives microwave directions on the side and it is only for like 30 seconds if I remember correctly.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't do a whole weeks worth, they do get a little icky after a day or two.  I would do at most 2 days at a time.  FWIW, I don't like the texture of microwave scrambled eggs as much as pan scrambled (think McDonald's texture).  You may want to try them out on your daughter to see if she likes them before making a batch. 
  • vtkendra - take this with love:  I am always astounded at your ability to plan and be organized.  I have a learned so much from you, especially when it comes to making food ahead of time.  However, if you sramble eggs in five different saran wrapped mugs and put them in your fridge every Sunday night, I may have to come over and give you a talking to...!  Stick out tongue

It takes very little time in the morning to grab an egg from the fridge and scramble it, pour it into a bowl, and microwave it for about a minute or two.  (totally agree that stovetop cooking a breakfast on a weekday morning is a huge PITA).  You will be FINE.  Getting two kids ready in the morning is not double the time as getting one kid ready.  And getting three ready in the morning is not three times as much time as getting one ready. 

That is your pep talk!  Hugs to you!  Big Smile

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Will she eat a hard boiled egg?  Those you could do on Sunday and keep for the week.  I agree with Artslvr too in that in takes just second to crack and scramble an egg.  If it made you feel better/more organized you could always lay out the mug and fork the night before.  
  • imagec_washington:

when I googled, I found this link from chowhound. they say scrambled eggs keep nicely - but they are so quick to make in the microwave might not be worth it. I guess all you can do is try!

Will the cup/bowl be too hot for your DD to eat out of? I have done this before, but don't remember if the mug got too hot! I would assume not... we buy egg beaters (well, the store brand of it anyways) and it gives microwave directions on the side and it is only for like 30 seconds if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the link. Someone else in that thread gave this link which has info on microwaving them:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/MicrowaveEggs.htm

I believe the mug may be too hot but also we don't let DD eat out of glass containers (since she may drop them off her highchair) so I'll just dump it into one of her plastic bowls. I'm going to try this tomorrow morning.

• imageArtslvr:

vtkendra - take this with love:  I am always astounded at your ability to plan and be organized.  I have a learned so much from you, especially when it comes to making food ahead of time.  However, if you sramble eggs in five different saran wrapped mugs and put them in your fridge every Sunday night, I may have to come over and give you a talking to...!  Stick out tongue

It takes very little time in the morning to grab an egg from the fridge and scramble it, pour it into a bowl, and microwave it for about a minute or two.  (totally agree that stovetop cooking a breakfast on a weekday morning is a huge PITA).  You will be FINE.  Getting two kids ready in the morning is not double the time as getting one kid ready.  And getting three ready in the morning is not three times as much time as getting one ready. 

Haha, I'm cracking up at this. Yes, I know it sounds a bit odd and maybe I'm overthinking it. Part of it is that I have this fear of salmonella and so everytime I get the eggs out, I feel like I have to wash my hands and wipe down the counter thoroughly because some egg always seems to drip somewhere so that also adds extra time. But yes, maybe it's overkill. So, I'll try to promise that I'll do my 5 mugs *just* for my first week back at work and then I won't do it anymore Smile

• imagevtkendra:
    imageArtslvr:

vtkendra - take this with love:  I am always astounded at your ability to plan and be organized.  I have a learned so much from you, especially when it comes to making food ahead of time.  However, if you sramble eggs in five different saran wrapped mugs and put them in your fridge every Sunday night, I may have to come over and give you a talking to...!  Stick out tongue

Haha, I'm cracking up at this. Yes, I know it sounds a bit odd and maybe I'm overthinking it. Part of it is that I have this fear of salmonella and so everytime I get the eggs out, I feel like I have to wash my hands and wipe down the counter thoroughly because some egg always seems to drip somewhere so that also adds extra time. But yes, maybe it's overkill. So, I'll try to promise that I'll do my 5 mugs *just* for my first week back at work and then I won't do it anymore Smile

YesSmile

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • imagevtkendra:

Part of it is that I have this fear of salmonella and so everytime I get the eggs out, I feel like I have to wash my hands and wipe down the counter thoroughly because some egg always seems to drip somewhere so that also adds extra time.

I used to have this issue as well - so I started putting the bowl in the sink and cracking the eggs in there, so that was all I had to clean up/wipe down. 

• According to stilltasty.com, the shelf life of cooked scrambled eggs is 3-4 days (which, realistically means you'd only be able to make ahead 2 days - since you'd be doing it the night before the first day...)  Raw eggs out of their shell are 3 days, too.

• If it's taking so long becuase of salmonella fears - buy the prepasturized eggs.
  • How about getting Egg Beaters in the carton? Then you can just shake up the carton, pour into a mug, nuke it and done.
    Photobucket
  • I don't have a link but I found a recipe online that is super simple. You crack an egg into a ramekin that is buttered and microwave it in 15 second intervals, using your fork to scramble it after 15secs and keep an eye on it. It literally only takes one minute.

another suggestion - can your DD1 eat b'fast at daycare instead of home? DD drinks a cup of milk in the morning and then has b'fast at daycare. We send mini-waffles with sunflower seed butter (premade the night before) and grapes or blueberries.

and you are totally the most organized nestie/bumpie EVER!

• Will your DD only eat scrambled eggs? I feed DD lots of eggs for the protien and one of my fav things to do is make little quiche with spinach and cheese in mini muffin tins. I bake a bunch and they freeze beautifully. I'll take a few out the night before and let them thaw, heat them quickly in a toaster oven or microwave and DD loves them. She gets a protien in addition to a veggie...it's a win/win.

Not sure if you're stuck on eggs, but other protien breakfast options I use:

-  I make oatmeal bars and add nuts for extra protien. These freeze nicely and no need to heat when thaw.

- waffles w/ peanut butter (or sunflower butter if it goes to daycare) and banana

• imageMrsNJSwimmer:
    imagevtkendra:

Part of it is that I have this fear of salmonella and so everytime I get the eggs out, I feel like I have to wash my hands and wipe down the counter thoroughly because some egg always seems to drip somewhere so that also adds extra time.

I used to have this issue as well - so I started putting the bowl in the sink and cracking the eggs in there, so that was all I had to clean up/wipe down. 

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that.

• imageclaraj:
    How about getting Egg Beaters in the carton? Then you can just shake up the carton, pour into a mug, nuke it and done.

I've never even tried those. I'll take a look at those next time I'm at the grocery store.

• imageSofka:

I don't have a link but I found a recipe online that is super simple. You crack an egg into a ramekin that is buttered and microwave it in 15 second intervals, using your fork to scramble it after 15secs and keep an eye on it. It literally only takes one minute.

another suggestion - can your DD1 eat b'fast at daycare instead of home? DD drinks a cup of milk in the morning and then has b'fast at daycare. We send mini-waffles with sunflower seed butter (premade the night before) and grapes or blueberries.

This is definitely an option. There have been mornings where I'm in a rush and I throw her eggs in a tupperware and have the DCP give it to her. However, I sort of feel bad about doing that everyday. Also, we put her in the highchair and DH and I can talk to her while we are doing other things in the kitchen.

I guess my main nervousness is that I'm still BFing and I'm going to try and pump while at work. With DD#1, I quit BFing at 8 weeks. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to feed DD#2, then pump, then get my pump stuff together to bring it to work, and get ready. DH is actually the one who typically starts getting breakfast ready for DD#1 but sometimes it seems to take him a half-hour to get the eggs ready which is part of the reason I'm trying to streamline the process.

• imagerubride:

Will your DD only eat scrambled eggs? I feed DD lots of eggs for the protien and one of my fav things to do is make little quiche with spinach and cheese in mini muffin tins. I bake a bunch and they freeze beautifully. I'll take a few out the night before and let them thaw, heat them quickly in a toaster oven or microwave and DD loves them. She gets a protien in addition to a veggie...it's a win/win.

Not sure if you're stuck on eggs, but other protien breakfast options I use:

-  I make oatmeal bars and add nuts for extra protien. These freeze nicely and no need to heat when thaw.

- waffles w/ peanut butter (or sunflower butter if it goes to daycare) and banana

The mini quiches is a really good idea. I think I'll give that a shot too. I can also use that for dinner sometimes if she can't eat the protein we are eating. Generally, I cannot get her to eat chicken or ground turkey or beef. So, it would be nice to pop one of those out of the freezer.

The waffles and PB is a good idea too. DH eats that all the time for breakfast but I never thought to give it to DD.

• imagevtkendra:
    imageSofka:

I don't have a link but I found a recipe online that is super simple. You crack an egg into a ramekin that is buttered and microwave it in 15 second intervals, using your fork to scramble it after 15secs and keep an eye on it. It literally only takes one minute.

This is definitely an option. There have been mornings where I'm in a rush and I throw her eggs in a tupperware and have the DCP give it to her. However, I sort of feel bad about doing that everyday. Also, we put her in the highchair and DH and I can talk to her while we are doing other things in the kitchen.

I guess my main nervousness is that I'm still BFing and I'm going to try and pump while at work. With DD#1, I quit BFing at 8 weeks. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to feed DD#2, then pump, then get my pump stuff together to bring it to work, and get ready. DH is actually the one who typically starts getting breakfast ready for DD#1 but sometimes it seems to take him a half-hour to get the eggs ready which is part of the reason I'm trying to streamline the process.

I never pumped at home, I nursed and then pumped when I got to work

and congrats on still BFing!

• imageSofka:
    imagevtkendra:
    imageSofka:

I never pumped at home, I nursed and then pumped when I got to work

and congrats on still BFing!

I second the never pumping at home, I just don't have the inclination to get up any earlier.  I just pump an hour after I get to work (3 hours after my last feeding with DS).

• Sofka and HJ, thanks for your comments on the pumping. I actually have questions about pumping once I go back to work which I'll try to do a separate post on later. I'm trying to figure out a game plan for that as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"