Preemies
Options

Anyone have a preemie due to short cervix?

I'm currently on BR due to a short cervix.  I was hospitalized for 6 days and released because it was staying stable.  Well now it isnt.  It went from 2.1 last week to 2.04 on Tuesday and 1.7 on Friday.  My doctor sent me home on super strict BR and said we will reevaluate on Tuesday. 

Since my doctor's appointment yesterday I have been crampy and having lower back aches.  I am on Procardia and take it every 6 hours.  Also, the baby is really low (right up against my cervix) and I have a lot of pain in my pelvic bone area.  

Just wondering if anyone had a preemie due to short cervix and what the events leading up to the birth were like.  TIA!

BFP #1 - 3/19/09 - M/C  - 4/5/09 6 weeks 2 days
BFP #2 - 7/1/09 - DD born 3/8/2010
BFP #3 - 11/1/10 - chemical pregnancy
BFP #4 - 1/2/11 - DS born 9/8/11
BFP#5 - 7/13/13 - stick baby stick!  Due 4/24/14

Re: Anyone have a preemie due to short cervix?

• Options
    kck329kck329 member

My DD was born at 27 weeks 6 days because of undiagnosed cervical incompetency.

The day before she was born I had some cramps that felt like gas pains, nothing very painful or noticeable really. Turns out they were contractions. On the day she was born I woke up with the same "gas pains" and just felt "off" so I went in to get checked-I was dialated at 2, almost entirely effaced, and the amniotic sac had begun to decend without the baby. By the time they got me across the street I was an 8 and because the waters were no longer protecting the baby (which is unusual in IC cases according to my doctor), I had an emergency c-section.

Your doctor is monitoring you closely so your story won't be like mine. You are doing everything you can possibly do to keep your LO in as long as you can. Every day makes a big difference, celebrate each one as a gift you've given your LO. If you keep feeling crampy, I'd call and see what the doctor thinks. I'd also ask about getting steroid shots for LO's lungs if things keep looking like you are going to go early.

Good luck! You are doing awesome-I know its scary!

• Options
    imagekck329:

My DD was born at 27 weeks 6 days because of undiagnosed cervical incompetency.

The day before she was born I had some cramps that felt like gas pains, nothing very painful or noticeable really. Turns out they were contractions. On the day she was born I woke up with the same "gas pains" and just felt "off" so I went in to get checked-I was dialated at 2, almost entirely effaced, and the amniotic sac had begun to decend without the baby. By the time they got me across the street I was an 8 and because the waters were no longer protecting the baby (which is unusual in IC cases according to my doctor), I had an emergency c-section.

Your doctor is monitoring you closely so your story won't be like mine. You are doing everything you can possibly do to keep your LO in as long as you can. Every day makes a big difference, celebrate each one as a gift you've given your LO. If you keep feeling crampy, I'd call and see what the doctor thinks. I'd also ask about getting steroid shots for LO's lungs if things keep looking like you are going to go early.

Good luck! You are doing awesome-I know its scary!

Thanks for sharing your story.  I had the steroid shots 2.5 weeks ago when I was in the hospital.  My doctor said I most likely wont get another round.  I havent started dilating yet (as of yesterday) but my cervix is starting to funnel and is getting shorter.  I just hope this little boy stays put for a few more weeks.  My doctor's goal is to get me to 36 weeks.  My goal is 37! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member
    I'm glad you've had the shots. From this point on, your LO's NICU journey should just get easier should you deliver early. Later preemies usually have to work on feeding, temp control, and growing in order to come home. It really sounds like you are doing an awesome job keeping him in, I know bedrest can't be easy! Whenever he comes, remind yourself that you worked so hard to keep him safely inside and that you did an amazing job of it. I hope you get to your 37 weeks and avoid the preemie thing all together!
  • Options

My LO was born at 26w2d due to IC too. I didn't have any warning though until I was 1 cm dilated and membranes bulging at 24w2d and it was too late for a cerclage as well.I was hospitalized immediately and was on magnesium sulfate and got steroid shots and was on strict bed rest laying upside down to try to slow any progress towards delivery.

He spent 17weeks in the NICU and is 2 1/2 yrs old now.  

T&P to you!!  I've heard a lot of success stories as well and I hope you can keep baby baking a bit longer!

• Options

At 27 weeks I had very insignificant amount of spotting, but called my doctor's office anyway.  They had be go to the L&D clinic to get checked.  The initially said they would simply observe me overnight.  I was 2cm dilated.  Then the doctor ordered a cervical scan.  The scan showed that my cervix was so thinned that it was not even measurable.  

All the sudden the nurses swooped in and started an IV with Mag. Sulfate and antibiotics.  They were concerned that I could potentially delivery any time.  I had not realized that I had been having small contractions (I really didn't feel them).  Once I made it through the night with now major issues they moved me to the Preterm Labor unit.  I received the steroid shots for Sophia's lungs.  I spent 2 weeks on strict hospital bedrest (couldn't even get out of bed to shower).  

When the labor started back up strong after a week they gave me trebutelin (spelling) and Indosin.  I was very closely monitored.  They did several biophysical scans on Sophia to make sure that her fluid levels were still good and she was moving well.  She never did "practice breathing" on the scans... so I was really worried she would have lung issues (thankfully she didn't).  

Sophia was born on Monday.  Sunday night I had some stomach cramping and had to get up to go to the bathroom several times.  I sat in the bed and started timing my contractions.  I called the nurse in cause my contractions were 5 minutes apart.  She immediately restarted an IV with antibiotics.  The doctor came to check me and said I was progressing too far too fast to stop the contractions and I would deliver that day. 

The doctor had to rupture my membranes, as my water was not breaking on it's own.  Once my water was broken labor increased significantly.  

Sophia was born at 28 weeks, 6 days.  She weighed 3lbs, 3 oz.  She spent 6 weeks in the NICU.  She was intubated for 24 hours and one week on a nasal cannula.  She is doing wonderfully well now!!

*I wish you the best of luck with your little one!!   

Sophia Elizabeth born at 28 weeks, 6 days. Weighing 3lbs, 3oz and 15 1/8" long. SS Photography blue petti
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    imagelemen99:

My LO was born at 26w2d due to IC too. I didn't have any warning though until I was 1 cm dilated and membranes bulging at 24w2d and it was too late for a cerclage as well.I was hospitalized immediately and was on magnesium sulfate and got steroid shots and was on strict bed rest laying upside down to try to slow any progress towards delivery.

He spent 17weeks in the NICU and is 2 1/2 yrs old now.  

T&P to you!!  I've heard a lot of success stories as well and I hope you can keep baby baking a bit longer!

Thanks for sharing.  I cant imagine how scary that must have been.  Having one full term baby my doctor is shocked this is happening.  I'm hoping the same thing happened w/ my DD and it's jut the way my body handles pregnancy.  Although, considering the amount of pain I'm in I cant imagine the same thing happened w/ her.  So glad your little one is doing well!

• Options
    imageRachie_B:

At 27 weeks I had very insignificant amount of spotting, but called my doctor's office anyway.  They had be go to the L&D clinic to get checked.  The initially said they would simply observe me overnight.  I was 2cm dilated.  Then the doctor ordered a cervical scan.  The scan showed that my cervix was so thinned that it was not even measurable.  

All the sudden the nurses swooped in and started an IV with Mag. Sulfate and antibiotics.  They were concerned that I could potentially delivery any time.  I had not realized that I had been having small contractions (I really didn't feel them).  Once I made it through the night with now major issues they moved me to the Preterm Labor unit.  I received the steroid shots for Sophia's lungs.  I spent 2 weeks on strict hospital bedrest (couldn't even get out of bed to shower).  

When the labor started back up strong after a week they gave me trebutelin (spelling) and Indosin.  I was very closely monitored.  They did several biophysical scans on Sophia to make sure that her fluid levels were still good and she was moving well.  She never did "practice breathing" on the scans... so I was really worried she would have lung issues (thankfully she didn't).  

Sophia was born on Monday.  Sunday night I had some stomach cramping and had to get up to go to the bathroom several times.  I sat in the bed and started timing my contractions.  I called the nurse in cause my contractions were 5 minutes apart.  She immediately restarted an IV with antibiotics.  The doctor came to check me and said I was progressing too far too fast to stop the contractions and I would deliver that day. 

The doctor had to rupture my membranes, as my water was not breaking on it's own.  Once my water was broken labor increased significantly.  

Sophia was born at 28 weeks, 6 days.  She weighed 3lbs, 3 oz.  She spent 6 weeks in the NICU.  She was intubated for 24 hours and one week on a nasal cannula.  She is doing wonderfully well now!!

*I wish you the best of luck with your little one!!   

WOW!  She is a fighter!  Only 6 weeks in the NICU and she was born at less than 29 weeks?  Thanks so much for sharing your story!

• Options

::waves::  Just wanted to say hi.

As much as I like you, SnT, I hope to not have to see you over here again!  :-p  Keep cookin' E!

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I had my daughter at 31 weeks due to a short cervix. I was monitored very closely this pregnancy because I had a short cervix with my other daughter although she was born full term. Anyway with this past pregnancy I had cervix scans done weekly and at 25 weeks my cervix was down to 1.2  and the Dr ordered my first round of steriod shots. It was to late for a cerclage. At 26 weeks I had no cervix left and was 2 cm dialted and the Dr admitted me into the hospital for bedrest. I was only allowed to get up to use the bathroom. I made it to 31  weeks before I delivered her and during that time I had 2 rounds of Mag to stop contractions. I also had another round of steriod shots at 30 weeks. The morning when my daughter was born I woke up to very strong contractions and I knew that she was going to be born because with the other contrctions I had I didnt even know I was having them. The monitor was picking them up since I was put on the monitor 2 times a day while I was in the hospital. Anyway my daughter was born at 31 weeks weighing 3lbs and 8 oz. She did not need any kind of breathing help at all while in the NICU. I truly believe that the steriod shots did wonders for her lungs. She stayed in the NICU for 28 days. The staff at the NICU called her a feed and grow preemie meaning thats all she needed to do in order to be able to come home. She's been home now for almost 2 months and has been doing great. Good Luck!!.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My son was born at 34w1d after discovering a shortened cervix at 28 weeks.  At my 28w2d growth ultrasound (was going to a MFM doc due to high blood pressure) I complained of menstrual like cramps since the evening before.  Dr. did an internal and discovered my cervix was 1.8.  He sent me to L&D and they saw I was having contractions I couldn't feel.  They stopped, and I was sent home and put on modified bed rest.  I went back to doctor one week later, at which point my cervix length hadn't changed but I was 1 cm dilated.  So bed rest continued with fFN tests every other week and cervix checks and at 30 weeks I was still 1 cm dilated, but at 31 or 32 weeks I was 2 cm (details are fuzzy now but full story is in my blog - link in siggy).  When I went in for my 33 week check I was at 4 cm and sent to L&D with expectation that I was going to deliver.

At hospital I was given procardia and put on a mag drip given first steroid shot and stayed overnight (Thursday night).  Friday morning Dr. checked and I was 6 cm, so stopping labor wasn't working so they stopped mag and procardia and gave me 2nd steroid dose that evening.  The plan was to keep me in the hospital until I delivered but they wouldn't induce me.  But then Saturday morning Group B Strep test results from Thursday came back and it was positive, so I was given antibiotics and sent back to L&D to start induction.  I was given pitocin and contractions were mild and menstrual-like for several hours.  I only progressed to 7 cm, so at about 12:30 am they broke my water, and DS was born just after 1 am on Sunday.  He weighed 6 lbs, 10 oz. 

He spent 22 days in the NICU due to respiratory distress.  He was breathing really hard and it kept him from being able to eat on his own, so he was on an IV at first then feeding tube then finally got a bottle and we tried BF (I was pumping all along).  It was a tough three weeks but he's 3 months old now and doing just fine (except for his reflux)!  

Best of luck to you!

Ten months: Mr. Giggles!
    Photobucket
    A10 March Siggy: Next vacation - Maine!
    Photobucket

kikijbunny (formerly kikijbird)
    Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

Mommy Blog: And Baby Makes Pi
    Pregnancy/Baby Blog: Eggs Over Anxious
    BFP chart

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options

My cervix started shortening and was caught at my 20 week ultrasound at 1.8.  I was on home bed rest from 20-24 weeks.  At 24 weeks I went on to hospital bed rest dilated to a 2 and at a .6 with erratic contractions.  I was on procardia every 4 hours and at 26 weeks was at a 4 with bulging membranes.  I was moved to a hospital with a higher level NICU and went into labor (the first time) that night.  They were able to stop it with magnesium and indocin.  I had 3 days of indocin before it was stopped to prevent premature PDA closure in the babies and went back on procardia. I delivered the boys at 27w 3d when labor started up again and I was progressing too fast for it to be stopped.  I had an emergency c-section due to a transverse baby B.

The boys weighed 2lbs 11oz and 2lbs 14 oz and spent 10 and 14 weeks in the NICU.  

They are now 6 months old and doing so well!  Best of luck to you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your story!

• Options
    Possibly. I had my baby due to PPROM (my water broke at 36 weeks and I was given pitocin to spur contractions because I didn't go into labor.) I was monitored for a short-ish cervix starting at 22 weeks but it was never considered to be a problem. It got to around 2.7 by 33 weeks or so but my doctors weren't concerned at that point.
  • Options
    My son was born at 33 wk due to IC. At my 20 wk u/s my cervix was 2.5 with funneling then a wk later was 2. I was given a cerclage and put on modified activity ( no heavy lifting and lay down as much as possible). Also was started on wkly progesterone shots. Until the delivery my cervix measured from 1.7 to 3 but my last appt it was 2 with no funneling. At the time we were discussing removing the cerclage the following wk and one wk left of the shot. Well, my water broke and at the hospital was given steroids, mag drip, And terbutaline. When the cerclage was removed i was 5 cm dilated. They hoped to hold off the deliverybut baby boy wanted out. He was in nicu for 8 days. He only needed thecpap for two days, lights for jaundice and some feeding issues. He was considered a big preemie at 5 lb 1 oz. Althou i did have gest. Diabetes. He is doing great now despite some reflux issues and doubled his wt by 2 mos. Best of luck to your family!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"