Preemies

For those of you that have 2 or more...

If you delivered a preemie for your first pregnancy, did you deliver a preemie for your second?

My son was born at 35 weeks, small but perfect, with no NICU stay. My concern is this, Did I just get lucky the first time, and what are the odds of me having a preemie with real problems next time?

I know there are no guarentees in life, and I'm not asking for a crystal ball prediction, just wondering what your experiences were.

Re: For those of you that have 2 or more...

• A lot of if you will deliver another preemie depends on why you delivered your first early.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagealbertabride06:
    A lot of if you will deliver another preemie depends on why you delivered your first early.

This...if you had your first b/c of pre-eclampsia, there's a good shot you'll have it again, and possibly sooner. However, if you had your first b/c your water broke (pPROM), your risk of having another preemie isn't likely to be too much higher than if you'd delivered your first at term.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have PTL issues, DD was carried to 34 weeks and spent 12 days in the NICU, because of an awesome doctor and p17 shots DS was carried to 36 weeks 6 days, so while still considered a preemie he was healthy and went home with me.
  • I delivered at 28w4d with my first due to my cord failing. My 2nd was born at 38w1d for my scheduled repeat c/s.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My first was born at 21 weeks because of PPROM. My second was born at 38 weeks but I did have a short cervix. I was on bedrest, p17 shots and weekly cervix scans. My last one I had a short cervix and was to late to do a cerclage, I was on bedrest and then hospital bedrest and I also had p17 shots. I delivered her at 31 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elisbuelisbu member

My first baby we lost at 7 weeks.

My 2nd was born at 35 weeks due to IUGR and cord restriction.

When we want to TTC again the doctor wants me on baby aspirin and possibly progesterone. She told us that we shouldn't expect more m/c or preemies, but to prepare ourselves because our chances were higher.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you everyone, sorry it's taken me so long to get back.

My DS was born early due to PRE-E and extreme stress (work FMLA violations related). I wouldn't have any stress related work this time, but I'm worried about the pre-e. I'm the first woman in the last 3 generations on my dads side to deliver naturally, since genetically we are all under 5 feet with small hips that tend to refuse to widen during pregnancy.

I

• Thank you everyone, sorry it's taken me so long to get back.

My DS was born early due to PRE-E and extreme stress (work FMLA violations related). I wouldn't have any stress related work this time, but I'm worried about the pre-e. I'm the first woman in the last 3 generations on my dads side to deliver naturally, since genetically we are all under 5 feet with small hips that tend to refuse to widen during pregnancy.

I guess I'm just really worried that I got lucky the first time. I know lots of 35 weekers that had NICU stays, and my son didn't even had jaundice. I guess the upside is I'd now be considered "high risk" so they would monitor me much closer than last time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"