Cincinnati Babies

Sleep Help

Brynn sleeps pretty well, it's just getting her to sleep that's the issue. We aim for a 6 PM bedtime since at that point she's just done with the day. We get changed into jammies, wash her face/hands and the she takes her last bottle for the night. She's usually falling asleep while finishing up the bottle but as soon as I put her down she wakes up.

She'll scream when I leave the room and if I come back in to put her paci back in her mouth, she just stops and smiles up at me. It's tearing my heart out. Last night we had 45 minutes of hysterical on and off crying. I haven't been getting her out of bed, but I'll let her cry for a little and then put her paci back in and leave. Rinse and repeat for 45 minutes.

What do I do? She can fall asleep without the paci so do I just let her cry it out without going in there? Is my going in there just prolonging her from falling asleep? I'm lost and frustrated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleep Help

• We were doing something similar around this age. We would put Mr. O to bed and then do five minute "cycles." Let him fuss for five minutes, go in a comfort (without picking up) for five minutes, rinse and repeat. My DH finally noticed that if he didn't calm down immediately, then it would take an hour to get him to sleep. We decided to try progressive waiting, i.e. Ferber, and it worked almost immediately.

You may also want to take a look at her schedule. Six o'clock sounds like an early bedtime, but I know it varies by family. I mention it because this was also the age Mr. O started skipping his evening cat nap and going to bed at 7:30 p.m. instead of 8:30 or 9 p.m.

It is heartbreaking to hear them cry, so good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Although I have no experience to stand on because my DD usually falls asleep nursing, but maybe don't let her fall asleep with the bottle.  Do something after the bottle so she's drowsy but awake when you put her in the crib.  Maybe if she's not waking with a start she won't get hysterical.  I have been looking into some sleep training methods; I personally can't stand to hear her cry for more than a few min without trying to pick her up and comfort her.  We will eventually try the Sleep Lady Shuffle.  Just to throw it out there if you want to look into any other methods.
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJLPT830:
    Although I have no experience to stand on because my DD usually falls asleep nursing, but maybe don't let her fall asleep with the bottle.  Do something after the bottle so she's drowsy but awake when you put her in the crib.  Maybe if she's not waking with a start she won't get hysterical.  I have been looking into some sleep training methods; I personally can't stand to hear her cry for more than a few min without trying to pick her up and comfort her.  We will eventually try the Sleep Lady Shuffle.  Just to throw it out there if you want to look into any other methods.

I loved this method, and it is the only one that works with DD.  I like that you aren't leaving them alone (though they may still cry) but they still learn to self-soothe, and DD didn't get nearly as worked up as when we tried Ferber/CIO methods.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"