Cincinnati Babies

Mealtime Meltdowns

I haven't seen anyone else post about this, so hopefully you have some advice. For a few months now, Owen has been whining, fussing and crying during meals (generally dinner, but many days, it's breakfast, too).

I have everything ready before getting him in his high chair, and even though he doesn't understand, I tell him it's ready. I've tried bottle, cup, feeding him, letting him feed himself, getting him out of his chair and holding him, giving him a spoon to hold. He eats around the same time every day, and although I pick his meals, he decides how much to eat so I think he's getting plenty.

My inclination is to wait to feed him until he calms down. I would sit there and try to comfort him by talking quietly and holding his hand, but I'd like to keep him in his chair. Is this a good idea or is he too young? Should I just ignore the behavior? Should I set a time limit for him to fuss, like five minutes, then I feed him anyway?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mealtime Meltdowns

• As far as dinner, is it possible that he's overtired/over hungry?  Or the other way, could he not be hungry enough?  I definitely suggest you keep him in the chair to eat.  Once you break that habit, you'll have food everywhere!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with pp about only allowing eating in the chair.  DD was like this and when I asked the pedi, I was told that mealtime should be kept fun at that age so that they don't see eating as a punishment, not to force the issue.  So we would let her down, and then try again and many times she would be much more compliant a few minutes later.  It also helped that we taught her the sign for "eat" since she didn't talk so she could tell us when she was hungry, and she could sign "all done" for when she wanted down and wasn't hungry.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"