Preemies
Options

Anyone have GD during pregnancy?

I failed my 3 hour and found out the results on Thursday.  I still haven't heard from the dietician.  What things should I expect to change with my diet?  Anything I should be aware of in general for the pregnancy?

I won't be able to exercise.  I had an emergent cerclage @ 21 weeks (28 weeks now).  So I have to stay on light duty.  TIA 

Re: Anyone have GD during pregnancy?

• Options

Hi hon - I'm so sorry you failed the three hour and now have to deal with GD on top of all this.  I had LO even before I took my GD test, so I can't help you too much, but from what I read the diet changes will focus on controling/managing sugar/carbs.  Sort of like the South Beach diet, if you've ever heard of that.

If you haven't already, I'd post on the High risk board - ton of GD moms on there.  Good luck (and I'm so happy that you are at 28 weeks - keep doing what your doing b/c it is working!!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The doctors actually thought I had GD during my pregnancy and had me meet with a dietician and start on the diabetic diet but it turns out I have actual diabetes. From my experience, its all about counting carbs, it takes a lot of control but it can be done.  You can still eat the same amount of calories...let me know if you need any tips/advice...PM me :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

::coming out of lurkdom::

I had GD too.  My blood glucose level was so high after the one hour, my doctor didn't even want me to do the three hour.  She just gave me the glucose reader, strips and lancets and sent me to a dietician. 

If I remember correctly, I had to test my blood sugar four times a day.  Once, first thing in the morning (fasting) and 2 hours after each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner).  As long as my blood sugar was under 100 first thing in the morning and under 120 two hours after meals, I was ok.  At first, my numbers were sky high across the board, so I had to take metformin, it was eventually increased over time, and my highest dosage was 1500mg. 

As far as diet goes, it's mainly guess and check to see what your body processes well and what it doesn't.  I couldn't have any refined sugar -- no white rice, no white pasta, potatoes, etc.  My highest reading ever (205) came after eating a very small portion of red beans and rice.  My diet consisted of a lot of protein and lots of water.  Peanut butter, eggs, tuna, lean meats, etc., were my foods of choice.  

GD is definitely a pain, but overall it's not that bad.  Good luck!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"