D.C. Area Babies

Used furniture for the nursery - yay or nay?

With all the upcoming and seemingly never-ending expenses, what is your take on purchasing used furniture for the nursery (crib, dresser, changing table, glider chair, lamps, etc)?

Re: Used furniture for the nursery - yay or nay?

• My only concern for a used crib would be that it was recalled or improperly assembled or something like that.  Otherwise I would get all the other stuff used if you can get it at a better price than new. 
  • imagetracy042206:
    My only concern for a used crib would be that it was recalled or improperly assembled or something like that.  Otherwise I would get all the other stuff used if you can get it at a better price than new. 

Same. You can look up recalls and get repair kits if necessary, though. That's what we did with our initial hand-me-down crib. In the end, it made me nervous though (drop side), so we bought a new one.

Everything else in C's room has been re-purposed from somewhere else. It generally matches (white spray paint!) and I think it looks totally fine.

• Loading the player...
  • New crib guidelines just went into effect at the end of June. I would probably buy new just to make sure I had one that met the new guidelines.

You can get a good, highly rated crib for well under $200. I have the Graco Lauren crib and it is solid and very attractive, and was just $125 or so. Ikea cribs are consistently highly rated, too, and they are all under $100.

I thought about getting a used dresser and refinishing it for LO's changing table, but we ended up getting the Ikea Hemnes dresser. It matches the crib, was just $150 and looks good in the room.

The other furniture (bookshelf, little dresser, toy bench) is repurposed, and then we bought a $150 glider on amazon prime.  We spent less than $450 on all the furniture for LO's room and most of it is new.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second the recommendation on the Ikea cribs if you want something inexpensive. We bought a white Ikea crib for DD#1 since DD#2 was on the way. I believe it was around $80 and it is very sturdy and looks nice. The front piece can come off to make it a toddler bed.

For the rest of the furniture, used is definitely fine. Also, you don't necessarily need something designed to specifically be a changing table. We bought DD#1 a new bedroom set that included a dresser and I just put a changing pad on top of the dresser and that's where I change her.

We also were able to get an inexpensive glider. I bought this from Walmart for $129 and it has held up very nice with regular use for DD#1 and we'll use it for DD#2 as well.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only furniture we bought new was a crib. 
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • We bought a used crib and dresser. And both have been fine.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'd buy a new crib, but I'd be fine with used for everything else. (FYI - Someone mentioned Ikea cribs. They're actually not available now because they're being reviewed re: whether they meet the new guidelines.)

• We got a dresser/changing table and a wardrobe via craigslist for $80 total :)  With all the other "needs" (diapers, carseats, strollers) furniture that DD would probably out grow in a few years was not what I wanted to splurge on.

But like everyone else, I definitely bought a new crib. 
  • New crib, and new carseat were necessary and seen as not negotiable.. but I was flexible on everything else being used. I was especially determined to get a used glider, since they are not "long term". There were loads on craigslist.  I also picked up some nice lamps on craigslist as well. 
  • we went used all the way!  crib, changing table, rocker, bookshelf, dresser -- all second-hand.  it was definitely the right choice for our budget, and everything was in excellent condition.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"