Washington Babies

Penelope Annelise

Thank you so much for all the well wishes!! Life has been crazy since last Wednesday, but I had a few moments while little miss fuss gus sleeps, so instead of sleeping I'm Bumping :)

After a labor scare a month ago, we were on high alert for 'any day now', but little sister took her sweet time and went past the due date. I was due on Sunday, the 17th, and I didn't go into labor in earnest until the 20th - the day after our last midwifery appointment.

At 6:30pm, I felt a contraction that was pretty different from the others, but I didn't want to get excited, so Eric made dinner and then I took a shower. The idea was that if we went to triage A) I wasn't going to be hungry and B) I wasn't going to smell. The shower didn't slow the contractions so I told Eric we should go. I couldn't sit, so I used the walker we had picked up the day before to help with my hips and allow me to walk through any contractions. We got everything together (most of it was packed the month before, but a few final touches), and drove to my mom's house to drop off Emmeline and pick up my mom.

It was all pretty fast-paced, but not a panicky one. Although Eric did say that if I said the word, he'd drive super fast. Being in the car during contractions sucked, so I put all my energy into hating that road. By the time we got to Providence, I was in the zone. Triage checked me out and I was 7cm - hooray! I was deep into coping by then, and they just took the bed down to the third floor. I used my walker to get around and labor some more, and everyone just kind of waited. Our support team (aka pit crew) trickled in (mom, MIL, bonus mom, bonus sister, and photographer). We cracked jokes and I kept changing positions until I found one that worked, and a few hours later, Penelope made her way into the world.

This birth was so much different than my eldest. There were no interventions, no trying to get my body to do something it didn't want to, and no complications. It was about 6.5 hours from that first contraction to holding her, and Eric got to catch.

10lbs, 10oz and it turns out she was actually 21.25 inches long.

I was so happy to get the birth I wanted. I can't tell you how many tears I cried over Emmeline's birth, and I could never bring myself to write her birth story. It was definitely healing. A huge thank you to Molly, our midwife and nurses Shelly and Angela - they were so wonderful and the energy in the room was just amazing. Geez, I'm going to cry just thinking about it again.

Her Name:

We had Penelope picked out before we even considered a second child. We were shoe shopping a few weeks before Emmeline's first birthday, and I said IF we were going to do it again, and IF we had a girl, my guilty pleasure name is Penelope. Eric surprised me and said he loves that name, and we said Penelope Anne and that was it.

Then when I actually became pregnant, the middle name wasn't quite right. E has a first and middle that are both 8 letters, so as a challenge to ourselves, we thought it would be fun to see if we could find a middle name we loved that was also 8 letters. We kept a card of all the possibilities, and we had...Penelope Guinevere (nn Penguin - 9 letters, but too fun to pass up), Annelise, Marigold, Coraline, Angeline, and Victoria (just in case she was born on Canada Day Stick out tongue). Each of them had some small story or something to offer, but none of them felt quite right. I kept saying I wished that Annelise felt more like us, but it just didn't seem right. Turns out that it may not have been right for us, but it was right for her. After 12 hours in the birth suite, we had a middle name.

Anne for the literary connection and a name we both like, Elise to honor my amazing mom, 8 letters, and Danish (which we both have).

There are pics on www.onetreephotography.com under Penelope, but I'll try to post some soon - baby is waking!

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image

Re: Penelope Annelise

• Beautiful birth story Angel! Congratulations again!

Also, I noticed she was born 1:11 and weighed 10, 10 - I think she is going to have a numbers thing like you. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KNemoKNemo member
    Congratulations again, Angel. She is wonderful, squishy, and perfect! And you area rockstar!
    The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats! I've been waiting for this post to see what you decided to name her! I love your first daughter's name and love your insight on the Baby Name board (I lurk). I think your name choice for daughter #2 is great and love the thought put into it!

Photobucket  image
    Married: December 2005 ~ Started TTC: December 2008 ~ DH: 33, Me: 30
    Diagnosis: severe MFI, late ovulation, short LP, DOR
    Only option is IVF/ICIS. Waited several years before treatment because we're OOP.
    IVF/ICIS #1 in June 2012 (Protocol: Long Lupron). Stims: 6/17/12, ER: 6/30/12 (6R, 5M, 4F), ET: 7/5/12 (1 4AA embryo transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 7/14/12 - 55, Beta#2: 7/16/12 - 100, Beta#3: 7/18/12 - 199 ~ Limbo for weeks, finally confirmed pregnancy not viable: 8/13/12 ~ D&C: 8/17/12 
    Varicocele Surgery: October 2012 (long break to wait for results, no change) 
    Changed clinics: February 2013 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #2 in April 2013 (Protocol: Antagonist). Stims: 4/12/13, Cycle Cancelled: 4/17/13 for poor follicle response and low E2 rise. 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #3 in May 2013 (Protocol: LEAP) Cycle Cancelled: 5/20/13 at suppression check due to cyst
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #4 in July 2013 (Protocol: LEAP). Stims: 7/20/13, ER: 8/1/13 (12R, 11M, 9F), ET: 8/6/13 (3 fair embryos transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 8/15/13 - 86, Beta#2: 8/18/13 - 390.6, Ultrasound: 9/3/13 - TWO HEARTBEATS! 

• Congrats again, Angel. Looking at the beautiful photos made me tear up. She is just gorgeous!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Beautiful birth story and beautiful name!  Congrats to you and the family!
    M + K = 05.16.09 | A.P. = 02.27.11
  • Thanks for sharing Angel. Love her name. I had a student names Annelise, love the name.  You are a rockstar, I can't imagine 10 lbs naturally. W's 8lbs with an epi was enough for me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Great story, Angel!!   I'm so glad you finally got the birth experience you were hoping for, Penelope is just adorable!!!
    imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Congratulations Angel!!  I'm so glad you got the birth experience you hoped for.

She is beautiful and I LOVE her name!!! 

• Congrats!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • That is an AWESOME birth story. It's wonderful that you got the birth that you wanted and SO fantastic that it went the way that it did! Congrats, mama!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• amazing story Angel, I am so glad you got to have the experience you wanted.  She is beautiful, and I love her name.  Congrats!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She is so beautiful. You are my hero for not only going med free but for doing it with such a big, healthy girl! I'm so glad you were able to get the birth you wanted. I am in love with her name. Congratulations to the four of you!
    TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats mama...great story, and she is gorgeous...so pink and round and alert, beautiful!
  • I am so happy that you finally had the birth you wanted, and Penelope is just gorgeous and cuddly!  Congratulations to you and your family again, Angel!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amazing story, and I LOVE the name... It would be a great name for the heroine of a children's story. :)

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Congratulations again! You are amazing and Penelope is beautiful and perfect and lucky to have such great parents and big sister!
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Congratulations to your family! What a great birth story! Love, love, love the name and she's just adorable!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Congratulations, again!  Love the story about her name!
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Congratulations Angel!! I'm so glad you got the birth experience you hoped for.
    collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • What a wonderful birth story Angel!  I am so, so happy for you and your beautiful family.  Penelope is as beautiful as her name- that is to say both are gorgeous!  You are a superstar mama and totally rocked that birth!  Can't wait to meet your newest little lady!

P.S. Thanks for not being like the poster I remember once from the names board and spelling it Analease. ;) 

image Visit The Nest!

• imagepinktulips:

Beautiful birth story Angel! Congratulations again!

Also, I noticed she was born 1:11 and weighed 10, 10 - I think she is going to have a numbers thing like you. :)

Hahahaha...yes! I was pretty happy about the time and date of her birth too...all odd numbers just like E! It's the little things :)

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
  • imageKRoseToes:
    Congrats! I've been waiting for this post to see what you decided to name her! I love your first daughter's name and love your insight on the Baby Name board (I lurk). I think your name choice for daughter #2 is great and love the thought put into it!
    Thank you, KRose! I've been so tight-lipped about her name on the Bump that I almost hesitate to post the our choice on the Name Board. There have been so many Penelope posts, but I have to remember that she's the only one we know :)
  • imageZista:
    Amazing story, and I LOVE the name... It would be a great name for the heroine of a children's story. :)

You know what's funny - I had Penelope pegged for the heroine of my someday children's book because it's such a stand alone name, and I figured I'd never use it for a baby. Ha!

• imageMSTie24:

What a wonderful birth story Angel!  I am so, so happy for you and your beautiful family.  Penelope is as beautiful as her name- that is to say both are gorgeous!  You are a superstar mama and totally rocked that birth!  Can't wait to meet your newest little lady!

P.S. Thanks for not being like the poster I remember once from the names board and spelling it Analease. ;) 

Thanks, Shane! And yes, thank goodness - phonetics is not a friend of the namer. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"