Eco-Friendly Family

Getting yeast out of wool?

I'm a regular on the CD board, but thought that mamas here might have some insights for me.

What is the best way to get yeast out of wool? I hot washed & bleached all of my cloth diapers, but am fearful to treat my wool soakers and longies. Would bringing them to a boil (not putting them in boiling water, but slowly bringing them to a boil in a stock pot) do the trick? I'm hesitant to use any chemicals, but I really want to make sure the fungus is gone for good. Help? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Getting yeast out of wool?

• I probably wouldn't boil my wool as you might end up felting it (more than it already is if it's felted) and that would be sad.  :(

I treated everything with Grapefruit Seed Extract.  I had thrush so I took it internally and then treated all of my nursing pads (wool) bras, towels, etc with GSE.  Anything that came into major contact with that area I put a GSE solution straight onto the fabric.  If it was kind of secondary (like diaper covers) I would do a soak with the GSE and then wash as usual with some more GSE in a downy ball.  It was the only thing that worked at getting rid of yeast for us.  It was the dead of winter or I would have dried it in the sun but if I were you I would do that too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the info, Lulu. How did you make and "administer" the GSE solution? How many drops of GSE per water? I would need to put GSE directly onto my soakers and longies because they came into direct contact with the rash on his thighs.

This clicky is the kind of GSE I have. How much should go into the Downy Ball?

Thanks again for the thoughts! I appreciate it. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelulu3061:

Thanks so much Lulu! I'm going to try this tonight with all my wool. Next time I wash the diapers, I will do the GSE treatment in the Downy Ball. Can't be too careful with this, it can NEVER come back!!

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"