Military Families
Options

re-post- Pregnancy depression.

This is posted in 2nd trimester as well.

Hey all. I haven't had any issues with depression for years.. over 4 to be exact. and when i did they were not very bad- i wasn't medicated or anything, just struggling with things.  My husband is in the military ( no this isn't a milit. topic) and is home right now, but his days are long and he is gone for a few days every few days. We have one car and i don't ever get to use it because he runs around a lot at work with it. As well as we don't live near all of the people i talk to.  Everyone is at least 40 minutes away and that doesn't include traffic which can make a trip 2 hours easily here.  So i rarely get to see anyone more than once a week if that. and we only get to see our family maybe 2ce a year if we are lucky.   I've lived this way for 2ish years since we got stationed here.. but it's just now seeming to get to me.  I dont know if i'm depressed or just burdened with teary hormones lately.  I dont know if its something to bring up to my doctor quite yet, I dont want her/him to take it out of proportion and try to medicate me. I know i'm not bad, i am not going to do anything to myself.  Any advice? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: re-post- Pregnancy depression.

• Options

Do you ever get out of the house?  Go for a walk, to the park, etc?  Have you befriended any of your neighbors?  It sounds to me like your depression and your feelings are because you don't get out much.  Just getting out of the house and meeting people could help you.

Is there a way that you can get the car for part of the week or all the time?  Does he really need the car all the time?  Can some one at work give him a ride to the places he needs to be?  What are you going to do when the baby arrives?  Does he get it all the time still, but you need to take the baby to the Dr because all of the sudden because it is sick?  We were a one car family for about 3 years.  He usually left me the car, so I'd take him to work, pick him up, but if he had to do things in the middle of the day, there was usually someone that could help him out. 

I think you two need to come up with a plan about the car, especially since a baby is on the way.  But getting out of the house I think will help you a lot.  So maybe compromise on how many days he gets the car. Try to meet other moms in your neighborhood and do activities with them.  I think just socializing more might help you.

• Options
    Which base are you stationed at? I know a lot of them constantly have activities going on. Some of them have Arts & Crafts Centers that have really fun things to do like make bath soaps, framing classes, and quilting classes. There are also spouses clubs available to join and meet people. The FRGs have meetings every 1-2 months which can be a great way to meet other spouses (you could even suggest having them start up a spouses night!) PM if you have any questions. I have been an Army wife for almost 3 years now and have been very active in the Army community. I would be more than happy to help you find more resources to help you out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do get out to go for walks with the dog, but during the day when he is gone that's about it.  We live in a apartment complex in which people are not extremely friendly and always gone, or to elderly.  

No i cannot get the car more- I cannot explain why he needs it as much as he does, but it's out of the question for me to take him in most days. I can get the car about once a month if we play it right, but he has so much do and places to go that's about it.  Yes I understand we need a car when we have the baby- and you are repeating to me what someone has told me already but their words were ," your baby is going to be sick and you won't have a car and it's going to die and be your fault"  We WILL have another car when the baby is born but getting one right now is not an option or we would have done that already.   Just " compromising" on me getting the car more is not an option for his lifestyle in the military. 

The closest base to me in our branch is over 35 minutes away, ( we are ultimately stationed out of Norfolk VA but he is not working on that base) and with not having the car i can't really get involved into activities.  I have a large group of mil. wives i have met here, or have been at other duty stations with- but because of the area we live they are just really far away from me.  We are hoping to move closer to their side of the water before the baby is born just so that I won't be alone. I wasn't when we moved here but others have moved on and we are the last ones left in this particular area :-/  We used to live in SC and on base so we had walking groups and i was always involved in something and even started my own group there, but here because of the distance of everyone the group didn't work out as well.  We meet every other month maybe as opposed to our weekly meetings there. It's just frustrating with the waiting game of seeing when/where we move and waiting for another vehicle.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you are depressed, as I'm not a doctor, but it does sound like loneliness is getting you down :( which seems totally normal for the situation you are in. Being so far from friends and family is hard, especially when your husband is working such long hours.  I go through the same feelings myself all the time.  Even though I work, see friends here where we live and talk to my family and friends on the phone, it still seems like I'm so alone sometimes.  But talking about it always helps.  Hope your spirits begin to pick up soon!
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

SaveSave
  • Options
    Can you move on to base? Granted, not everyone likes base living, but that would give you access to things within walking distance and even car assistance.
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    We've talked about it- moving to base- but the money we are saving by not living there is what is going to go towards a car when we find one.  And base's here are hit and miss as to which are the good ones, and most of the good ones would have my husband making at least a hour long commute with no traffic sadly.  Hopefully we can find a place closer to everyone and still within range for him to get to where he needs to go.  

I think that some days are just your down days of loneliness and yesterday was mine. every three nights he is gone for 2 days and that was this weekend and no one was available to even talk on the phone between people and family i know lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"