January 2011 Moms

Solids

It seems like I'm just not giving LO as many different kids of solids as everyone else. I started at like 5 1/2 months old and do 1 new food per day for 4 days. Is it just that I was late to the game? He's had only 5 different foods as well as oatmeal and rice.

Also, how many solid meals are you giving LO? I do oatmeal for breakfast and the new food for dinner.

I'm anxious to start fruits but feel like he hasn't had enough veggies yet...what did you do?

TIA 

Re: Solids

• When we started solids we alternated fruit and vegetables when trying each one. Sophee has had them all in stage 1. I give her fruit for lunch and vegetable for dinner (both followed by bottle). I have given her rice, but she didn't seem to care for it. There is no one way, you just have to do what is best for your baby.
    Hope (32), James (36), Sophee (1 year old), McKenzee (7 weeks) CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • We started at 4 months, so DD has tried just about everything. I didn't really go by a certain method... I just opened the cabinet and picked out whatever sounded good that day. I did start with things that my mom said I liked when I was little.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We haven't even started yet. Our pedi is a 6 monther so we won't even start until after his appointment which is for 2 weeks even though he'll be 6 months on Wednesday. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket
  • RedZeeRedZee member

I'm not much help as we haven't really started solids yet (she tried rice cereal twice and a bit of banana twice).

But - I was feeling like there are "rules" for starting solids and that there are things you must do in order for your kid to have the proper nutrients and stuff. I've been reading a lot about solids lately and I realize that there's just no one way.

We'll be doing a combination of baby led weaning and some purees. I'm hoping to make most of my own food but I know I'll use some jars and stuff too along the way.

They really don't NEED the nutrients from food (as long as they're still getting breast milk or formula) until after 8 months.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • imageRedZee:

I'm not much help as we haven't really started solids yet (she tried rice cereal twice and a bit of banana twice).

But - I was feeling like there are "rules" for starting solids and that there are things you must do in order for your kid to have the proper nutrients and stuff. I've been reading a lot about solids lately and I realize that there's just no one way.

We'll be doing a combination of baby led weaning and some purees. I'm hoping to make most of my own food but I know I'll use some jars and stuff too along the way.

They really don't NEED the nutrients from food (as long as they're still getting breast milk or formula) until after 8 months.

This. Don't worry about it. It is just for fun right now, to get them interested in food. I usually do oatmeal with a fruit puree for breakfast. (And I don't push him to eat it really, so some days its like one or two spoonfuls. Other days he eats all of it.) Then for dinner I do a veggie. Now my pedi wants us to do 3 times a day..which just seems crazy because we haven't been doing purees for that long and he certainly hasn't tried everything either..so I'm not going to really worry about it! I also give a sippy cup of BM during the meal. I don't know if that helps at all. 

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We haven't started yet either.  H's family has a history of GI issues so we're waiting just a bit longer to make sure her tummy is good to go.

Our gameplan is to start with iron-enriched cereals (since iron is one major vitamin missing from BM), then follow with veggies (sweet potatoes first, likely, for the same reason) and then fruits.  We're doing veggies first so hopefully she doesn't get hooked on sweet. heh.

• I make Simon's food, and as such I have a stockpile of carrots, squash, and peas. He also has applesauce and bananas mixed with oatmeal. We just rotate these. I've been too lazy to pick up other food to make him since we have so much already.  :( So if that makes you feel better....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamandabrown530:
    I make Simon's food, and as such I have a stockpile of carrots, squash, and peas. He also has applesauce and bananas mixed with oatmeal. We just rotate these. I've been too lazy to pick up other food to make him since we have so much already.  :( So if that makes you feel better....
    That's the same here - I've made my own (except for the carrots, pedi told me to buy them). I'm going to go back to butternut squash Wednesday cause I have so much of it...is it true it's only good for 1 month frozen? Maybe I can throw in a fruit instead of another green.

Like PP I was trying to do veggies before fruits though...hm...I dunno.... 

• We started at 4 months too and I did rice for two days and he hated it so we started with Oatmeal and he has liked that ever since. We started with peas, carrrots and sweet potatoes. I buy Earth's Best Organics. Then we went to apples, pears and bananas. I did three days on a row of each.He liked it all. Then I looked at Gerber for some green beans and peaches. He hated prunes. We just moved to level 2 and he likes most everything there too.

When I started I would make a serving of Oatmeal and divide it in half and I would mix a half jar of fruit for breakfast into it and a half jar of veggies at night. He eats a whole jar of food twice a day now at 6 months 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"