School-Aged Children
Options

How did you choose a school?

Our boys won't be in school for a few years but we're getting ready to move and would like to choose a location in a good school district or with good private school nearby. What resources did you use to learn about schools/school district reviews etc?

Thanks 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How did you choose a school?

• Options
    Ditto, I need this info. too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm going to answer from my knowledge both as a mom and as a teacher.  

--Check standardized test scores online.  With a little reading, you can probably get a sense for school districts within the state, and schools within the district, and whether they're doing well vs. poorly.  My sense, however, is that higher scoring schools tend to be a better indicator of the socio-economic status of the families attending the school than of the quality of the school itself.  This is, of course, not a hard and fast rule, just a generalization.  In some states, school funding is allocated to schools on a pro-rata basis: the more property tax revenue from the school's boundaries, the more money the school gets.  So, one kind of cynical way to look at this is to buy a home in an area that's as affluent as possible.  The website "schooldigger.com" can help you look at info like this for different schools all over the country.

--But don't put too much weight on test scores. Remember that the single biggest factor in a child's educational experience is the quality of the classroom teacher.  A fantastic teacher can work magic no matter where he/she teaches and now matter how crappy the facilities or the budget.  On the other hand, a crappy teacher will still be crappy, even with a beautiful classroom and 35 student laptops.  The quality of the individual teachers is a VERY difficult factor for a parent whose children don't attend the school to suss out.  The second biggest factor is probably average class size.  Even a brilliant teacher will be less effective if the classes are too big.  Careful when you look on websites like schooldigger for this info.  According to that site, my DD's elementary school has an average class size of 16.5 students -- a pretty low number!  But the school has a pre-k program as well as a special needs magnet program.  The typical classes are probably closer to 25 kids at her school.

--Ask around.  Other parents are probably the best resources for the information you're seeking.  Don't rely on a realtor; they'll probably always indicate that the schools in the area where you're looking are "great schools."

--Visit school websites, but expect to be underwhelmed by what you find.  School websites are often maintained by a single tech-savvy teacher in his/her spare time, and don't often reflect the quality of the school.  Still, you can get a sense of the school's priorities and traditions from looking at the way the website is organized and from pictures of school events.

HTH! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Neverblushed gave such a fantastic response!!!! Exactly what's in my head, but I couldn't get it down on paper.........
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    thanks neverblushed
  • Options

as you are looking at homes, set up meetings at the school.  you could ask to meet the principal, potential teachers at the school your child would likely attend.  if schools are closed for the summer, you could stop by the ed. center for the district. they would likely have info on test scores, graduation rates, etc.   

if i remember correctly, when we were looking at homes some left paperwork about the school district for us to look at.  however, if it was an underachieving district, i doubt they would do that. 

• Options
    Happy to help.  It's such a hard decision to make, because there are SO many factors out of your control.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    We open enroll as we bought a house in an area that we like and could afford at the time but not the best school district.  One district over has excellent schools.  We did a ton of talking to people that we know that live in the area that have kids already in school or that are teachers.  My older DD has been involved with EI through our home district since birth and I was never impressed and now that she is involved in the Early Childhood Special Ed in the new district, I am seeing 1st hand the huge differences.  My sister sends her kids to a private school and they did a lot of site visits and also talking to people that they know and asking for referrals from the school and they made a lot of calls to those people.  Word of mouth to me is way more important than just looking at test scores.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    JMayJMay member

Responding late to this post, but I hope you'll see this anyway - check out www.greatschools.org

It's a great place to start the search.  They have test scores (tho I agree to not put too much weight - you prob don't want a school that just teac hes to the test), % of teachers with BA vs Masters, extra curriculars, and my fav - community reviews.  Remember to take the negative with a grain of salt though.  GL! 

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"