Food Allergy
Options

Just got a frustrating call from the pedi...

So I called them this morning to set up an appointment for me to have a good talk about Sasha's food options. I feel really limited and I want to make sure she is getting the nutrients she needs without me doing her any harm. The appointment desk said she needed to get me in touch with the on-call nurse and the nurse would better be able to determine who I needed to talk to and for how long of a time.

The nurse called me back...before I could even ask her my questions she said, "so looking at the report from the allergist, it looks like she's positive for wheat, oat, soy, egg, peanut, corn and dairy." I was completely shocked. The allergist specifically told me she was negative for everything, but skin tests at such a young age are inconclusive so we should retest her when she is one year old.

At her 9 month appointment the pedi said that looking at the report she was slightly positive for wheat and corn and that was it. I am so frustrated that nobody is properly communicating either with each other or me. One of the questions I was going to ask the pedi was that "I tried corn and so far she's had no reaction, so I guess that one's safe, right?" The nurse freaked and said I should "discontinue it immediately."  "But she's had no reaction."  "But she tested slightly positive."

I started crying. I feel so limited with what she can eat to begin with (I already knew she couldn't handle dairy, wheat or oats) that adding that many things to the list became so overwhelming. The poor nurse on the other end of the phone didn't know what to do. She said she's going to have a Dr. call me to discuss my concerns further and then she hung up.

Sorry this got so long. I just need some answers. I think part of me is mad because my family says "she'll probably grow out of it" when I try to talk about her issues. I can't live on the edge of hoping she'll grow out of it, I need to give her what she needs here and now. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Just got a frustrating call from the pedi...

• Options
    Your best bet is a pediatric nutritionist.  Get a copy of your LO's RAST test and go see a nutritionist.  They are better equipped to help you feed your child then a Pediatrician.  I got so fed up with Z's Pedi, ENT/Allergist and GI Drs that I started seeing a nutritionist for him.  She actually comes to our home once a month, does a weight check (he's FTT) and we go over his diet and tweak it if we have to.  We JUST got the egg and wheat allergy diagnosis so I can't wait to see her.  I do keep a food journal and document what he eats and if he has a reaction I put that down.  It's tedious work and I wish I didn't have to do it but when you have a child who is FFT, picky as heck and multiple food allergies, it's kind of what you have to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    OMG this must be so frustrating and overwhelming! I know what it feels like when you just want to feed your child and want to make sure you're not hurting them in the process. The PP had some great advice but I just wanted to post to let you know that you should be frustrated and that I'm so sorry you're going through this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

are you seeing a pediatric allergist or just having your pedi run the allergy tests?  If you aren't with an allergist- I'd get one asap and have him/her analyze the results of the test and give you some direction.  The tests can have false positives and negatives.  If the allergist will allow it- I'd ask for both skin and blood tests so that you can compare the results and decide with the dr. if a food challenge is appropriate. 

For where you are now- if you haven't seen a reaction with corn (no skin issues, no tummy issues etc), and the numbers only indicate a possible slight allergy- I wouldn't pull it.  Not having a reaction is a prettty clear indicator that she's doing ok with it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageg_belle:

are you seeing a pediatric allergist or just having your pedi run the allergy tests?  If you aren't with an allergist- I'd get one asap and have him/her analyze the results of the test and give you some direction.  The tests can have false positives and negatives.  If the allergist will allow it- I'd ask for both skin and blood tests so that you can compare the results and decide with the dr. if a food challenge is appropriate. 

For where you are now- if you haven't seen a reaction with corn (no skin issues, no tummy issues etc), and the numbers only indicate a possible slight allergy- I wouldn't pull it.  Not having a reaction is a prettty clear indicator that she's doing ok with it. 

We had a pediatric allergist do the skin tests and he sent the results over to the regular pedi. The allergist is the one who told me in the office that DD tested negative for everything. The allergist wants to wait until she's closer to one year to retest her, and I will be requesting a blood test at that time, we only did skin testing when she was 6 months old. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I second a pediatric nutritionist.  It was a HUGE help for me and you should totally go.

Also, next time request a copy of the results.. this way you can see all the levels of her RAST test yourself.

All i can tell you is that it will get easier. You will find a group of foods she can have and you will stick to them.  It's just finding that group of food. 

Try this place for some product searches

There is no option to choose for oats, but after you select everything she's allergic to, except for oats, you can select the product and below it will say what it does not have and all the ones i clicked on it said "no oats"  

I think this has no wheat, oat, soy, egg, peanut, corn and dairy - https://www.allergygrocer.com/allerenergy-nutrition-bar-apple-cinnamon-from-ags-foods.html You may need to wait until she's one to give it to her. But it's an option for a snack.

They also have a lot of mixtures. 

I'm so sorry you're dealing with it. I would totally ask for results so you can look at them yourself also.  You can just hope she will outgrow it, like all of us, but we are living in the NOW (and that's what i tell my family when they dismiss everything and causally say  oh, he'll outgrow it.. i'm in the NOW and NOW he's allergic to ABC).

Good luck and hugs

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"