North Carolina Babies

If DC is in daycare full time now, pre-K or straight to K?

The "norm" in town seems to be that everyone puts their kid in a pre-kindergarten program the year before real kindergarten. Most of these are half day programs that offer some sort of afterschool care until 5 or 6. Since John's bday is mid July he will likely start K as a new 6yo rather than a young 5yo. He can stay at the daycare center he in in now until he starts real K. Do you think these pre-K programs are worth it? It seems a little confusing to go from being in an all day program like he is now (8:30-5:00) to a half day program with some sort of afterschool then then next year to a longer day real K. What is everyone else doing? I don't want him to be bored by staying in daycare right up until K but I want him to be prepared for K, too.

Have you thought about what you will do?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If DC is in daycare full time now, pre-K or straight to K?

• I've read that children benefit greatly in school if they start out in pre-school or pre-K before heading to kindergarten.  My girls aren't in daycare so I'm not sure how the programs differ but does the daycare provide organized learning activities that you would expect from a pre-school/pre-K?  I'd check into what the pre-school/pre-K offers and compare it to what he's getting at daycare.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Holly will stay in daycare until Fall 2014 when she goes to Kindergarten. She's in more of a playschool type setting now. At our school, when they're 3, they're transitioned to a more real school environment, until Kindergarten.

I'm sure every DC center works differently. But assuming your DC has some sort of educational focus, I can't see any reason to change. Especially if it's only half day, and you'd have to work out logistics fo aftercare. 

Daycare = Pre-school to me, at least in a daycare center setting anyway.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • C isn't in DC anymore but even if he was he will be starting K next fall as a young 5yo. 
    image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • L is going to stay in DC until she goes to K at 6 years old.  Her daycare is like Hughes in that it moves to a typical classroom setting as they get closer to K.
  • It would depend on what the daycare offered.  Our daycare does a pre-K program for rising kindergarteners, so I really see no point in moving him to a new place for that last year.  But if your center doesn't, then I could see moving him. 

IMO, pre-K programs are generally for kids that have stayed at home for the first few years and their parents want to get them prepared for K.  Not something necessary for a child that is in a daycare situation with an established pre-K program for the 4 year olds.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:

IMO, pre-K programs are generally for kids that have stayed at home for the first few years and their parents want to get them prepared for K.  Not something necessary for a child that is in a daycare situation with an established pre-K program for the 4 year olds.

This is pretty much my thought on it. His daycare does have a more structured program as they get closer to kindergarten age. For selfish logistical reasons I really don't like the idea of a half day program or afterschool care when I can really keep both boys at one location for a full day. Once he starts real k I will likely try to rearrange my work schedule so he doesn't need afterschool care with a combination of different work hours and MIL watching him a few days a week.

Most of the moms that I see doing this are SAHM who have not had their children in a full day daycare/preschool setting. So I guess that would make more sense.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSalisburyBride:
    imagemrsmikey:

This is pretty much my thought on it. His daycare does have a more structured program as they get closer to kindergarten age. For selfish logistical reasons I really don't like the idea of a half day program or afterschool care when I can really keep both boys at one location for a full day. Once he starts real k I will likely try to rearrange my work schedule so he doesn't need afterschool care with a combination of different work hours and MIL watching him a few days a week.

Most of the moms that I see doing this are SAHM who have not had their children in a full day daycare/preschool setting. So I guess that would make more sense.

I agree 100%. Since our boys will be at home with me until school time, we are planning to do a pre-k program to help with the transition. If I had them in DC instead, I wouldn't do pre-k.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"