Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Drinking from regular cup?

What age do kids do this?  Right now we still use sippy cups (well cups with straws) and wanted to know about transitioning to regular cups.

What age to do this and any tips or suggestions?

Re: Drinking from regular cup?

• Options
    DD was just over 3 and we use a regular cup at dinner time.

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• Options
    Both of my girls were 3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Agree -- around 3.  DS has started drinking from a regular cup but tends to spill. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    erbearerbear member

They started regular cups at school around 20 months, so we did at home too.

Only give a little bit of liquid!

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    DD was 24 months when she started part time preschool and they had them drinking from small cups.
  • Options
    DS#1 had just turned 2. He just started trying to drink from our cups and didn't want a sippy any more. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

We started using kid-size regular cups when DD1 was around 2 1/2. She drinks from them at mealtime but still drinks water from a straw sippy around the house.

DD2 has already started asking to use the regular cups when she sees DD1 with hers. I give her a very small amount at a time.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options
    My girls just turned 3 last week and we just started doing this consistantly. The one twin was able to do this at 2 1/2 but the other just could not figure it out. But now at 3 she is able to drink most of her liquids from an open cup at the table. I do still let them have a sippy in the morning with their milk when the first wake up. But once they move to the table for breakfast they start drinking from an open cup. I make them drink all of their liquids at the table for the rest of the day. It is heaven to not have to wash all those sippy cups and part every single night now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member
    I say about 3 years old.  DS does pretty good with this at meal times. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    We started giving them a lidless cup between 12-18 months.  I'm actually surprised by all the 3 years answers.  My 2 year old has been drinking out of an open cup for over 6 months and does fine.  She spills as often as my 5 year old (rare, usually the result of not paying attention). 
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options
    At ages 3 and 5 - we only use real cups at home. We have sports bottle style straw cups that we use for water by their beds at nighttime and when we are out and about but no sippy type cups at all. My daycare starts teaching the kids to use real cups at around 18 months when they move into the toddler program. When my kids turned 2 1/2 or so (no real science to it), I tossed the sippy cups other then my youngest sippy for milk which was gone when she was 3 - she used to drink it while reading stories at bed but I moved the milk to be offered after dinner and got rid of them all.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    We transitioned when DS turned 2. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"