November 2011 Moms

It bugs me when people say...

What comments bug you the most? Pregnancy related or not, I want to hear them!

Mine for today is when people say "You don't get a medal (or a trophy) for delivering naturally." Really? You don't? Well I'm so glad you told me because that's the reason I wanted to deliver naturally.

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: It bugs me when people say...

• "Oh, you're having a boy!  So you're done then!"

"Oh, you're having a boy - you know they love their mamas more than girls do."

"These boards are for support"  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • That bugs me, too! So does this one:

Do you like pain? No. Were you born in the 19th century? No. So get the epidural.

I've heard it a few times now and I find it so offensive. 

Toddler Turtle - November 2011
    Baby Turtle - November 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Along those same lines it bugs me when natural childbirth comes up and the response I get is "Well good luck with THAT. You'll be screaming for the epidural, trust me." Well, thanks, I didn't realize you were a fortune teller. Everyone's childbirth experience is different, so your or your wife's, sister's, mom's, friend's experience does not foretell what my experience will be like.
  • imageemilyj77:

Mine for today is when people say "You don't get a medal (or a trophy) for delivering naturally." Really? You don't? Well I'm so glad you told me because that's the reason I wanted to deliver naturally.

Those comments are exactly why we are having a "Natural Birth" trophy custom made for a friend of ours as a new baby gift.  That way, when people say that to her, she can whip it out of her purse and say, "actually, I did."

Honestly, people's comments about our birthing or parenting choices don't bug me that much.  What I do I do because I feel it's the right thing for my child, I don't do it to win anyone's approval.  Since approval isn't my goal, I don't find it heartbreaking when I don't get it.  It just rolls off my back.

What does annoy me though is when people comment that I look pregnant, I automatically feel like they are calling me fat.  WHen people comment that I don't look pregnant (when I know I do) I feel like they are calling me fat.  Either comment used to upset me until I realized that BOTH were upsetting me and there is just no pleasing a pregnant lady sometimes :)  Now, I still feel fat but at least I can laugh about it.

• imageJanimal:

"Oh, you're having a boy!  So you're done then!"

"Oh, you're having a boy - you know they love their mamas more than girls do."

"These boards are for support"  

Almost exactly except we are having a girl this time. 

Hilarious on the support comment. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I hate when people tell me I can't bond with my baby unless I know the sex.

I'm crazy to even consider cloth diapers

?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • "this is your first.... youll be late for sure".  I say oh really, four of my friends just had their first, and they were all early.  "their doctors probably mis calculated their due dates, because it is impossible to be early or on time.... you will have to be induced, trust me"   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMommaErica:
    imageemilyj77:

Those comments are exactly why we are having a "Natural Birth" trophy custom made for a friend of ours as a new baby gift.  That way, when people say that to her, she can whip it out of her purse and say, "actually, I did."

Honestly, people's comments about our birthing or parenting choices don't bug me that much.  What I do I do because I feel it's the right thing for my child, I don't do it to win anyone's approval.  Since approval isn't my goal, I don't find it heartbreaking when I don't get it.  It just rolls off my back.

What does annoy me though is when people comment that I look pregnant, I automatically feel like they are calling me fat.  WHen people comment that I don't look pregnant (when I know I do) I feel like they are calling me fat.  Either comment used to upset me until I realized that BOTH were upsetting me and there is just no pleasing a pregnant lady sometimes :)  Now, I still feel fat but at least I can laugh about it.

It cracks me up that so many people feel the need to make some kind of comment about your size, as if it were required. The comments I've heard run the gamut from "Omg, you're that far along? You are tiny!" to "Wow ... that baby is just ready to come out, right?" Umm, no. I have four months to go, but thanks. Indifferent

It did bother me at first but I'm getting better at just laughing off how wildly different everyone's opinions are about how big or small they think I am.

• All of the above?

Ditto on the natural birth thing. I mentioned to a few co-workers that we were contemplating a home birth and man, did I hear it from them. "It's not safe" "Why would you want to put your baby's life at risk?" etc. Unfortunately we're in between homes and such so it would be difficult for a home birth. We're still going to go all natural, no meds, and such. I hear from people all the time that it's going to hurt like hell and why wouldn't I want pain meds? I'll tell you why, because I just don't want them. I'm confident in myself and my husband's support that I can give birth naturally.

And the whole "boy's love their mommies more" comment dives me bananas. I'm having a girl and it makes me feel like people think my daughter isn't going to love me because she's a girl. Ridiculous! 

The other day someone mentioned I was carrying really high so it must be a boy. Maybe your boys were all high but I know I'm having a girl. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Me: "Yeah, DH and I are super excited that we are going to use cloth diapers."

Random stranger or family member: "Huh, well good luck with that! I had a friend/relative/stranger that tried CD and they said it was horrible!"

Shut up and keep your opinions to yourself. Grrr

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • "Wow! You're getting big!" Umm... thanks?
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "You are getting huge" ugh! This is one I dislike hearing very much...

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "You don't look like your ____ weeks".

"You aren't going to be able to do this on your own it is so much hrder than you can even imagine."

Um....If you aren't going to tell me my bump looks cute, don't say anything.  And I realize it is going to be hard to do on my own.  It wasn't my plan.  But I really don't have a choice.  Maybe a little bit of encouragement, "I'm here if you need a night off", would be more productive than freaking me out. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMommaErica:
    imageemilyj77:

Ok, now I want one!

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageMommaErica:
    imageemilyj77:

The medal/trophy comments drive me nuts too, but I don't think I've gotten that comment IRL, I've just seen people write that on TB/TN.  I LOVE that you're making you're friend a trophy!  LOL.

I haven't really gotten any natural birth or cloth diaper, etc. comments this time I think because 1) I don't talk about it, people don't ask and 2) I've BTDT so no one in their right mind would tell me I'm going to be screaming for an epi.  Especially someone who has never had a baby herself.  I did get lots of those comments when I was pg with DS and they drove me batty. 

The size/weight comments don't bother me either because like some of you have pointed out, for every person who tells you you look huge, another says you look tiny.  I figure people just don't know what a X week pregnant woman really looks like plus, every woman grows and shows differently.  

I think the only thing that bothers me just a tiny bit right now is when people find out we're having another boy and they have that look on their face that asks "are you ok with that?" or "oh no, you don't get to have one of each!"  They sort of hesitate as they ask if I'm excited or something.  IDK, it's an odd moment, but it quickly passes when I say we're really excited, DS is excited to have a little brother, etc.

• "Oh was this planned??"

Would you like to climb into bed with me and dh next time too to find out anymore details? 

BFP 03/01/2011 - DD  Annabelle 10/28/2011
    BFP 12/2/2012 - MC 12/19/2012 @ 5w
    BFP 01/25/2013 - MC 02/09/2013
    BFP 09/09/2013 - DUE 05/17/2014
  • "how much weight have you gained?"

"what do you mean you don't want to find out the sex ? i don't know how you can stand not knowing!"

• "Oh you still have a ways to go!"

ugh, bite me. That drives me crazy. I think a lot of it is because it is so.fvcking.hot here that November feels really far away. Less than 4 months people!!! Ugh.

• When people feel the need to tell you the most horrible birth story ever told the second they find out you are pregnant. Preferably one involving the death of the infant, the mother or both. WHY people? Why?

TTC #2 since 1/1/13

image    imageimage
  • "It's so sad that you live so far away from home and your baby won't even know her grandparents", or "Your parents must be so sad they can't be grandparents".

ARGH! It's 2011, and we have 'Skype' and airplanes. Also, I love New Zealand, but Canada is my home now, and if I hadn't ventured out and moved here, I would never had met DH and be starting our family. I'm not worried, my parents aren't worried, so why do people feel the need to comment?

• i am not a pain person... so i love when i get shots, hurt myself, etc and the first response it "Well, good luck with giving birth" (thanks, i wasn't aware it would hurt)

especially from Fi "you wanted this" - always his response when i'm sick (thanks Love!)- actually no, this was no a planned pregnancy. 

and the kicker my neighbor who feels it's always approperiate to rub my none existant, pre- baby regular fat saying "ooooh Maddie"- no hunny, that isn't maddie. that's my fat and my anterior placenta NOT maddie, lay off the belly- thanks!

• imageklovesd:

I'm crazy to even consider cloth diapers

This! One of my friends asked me if I enjoy setting my self up for post pardum hell. I ripped her a new one!

imageimageimage
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Yeah, I hate it when people comment about my size. I was feeling bad about it for the longest time since I am so small. I went to my 20 week appointment, it was my first at this office since we moved and I had to get a new OB, and the nurse asked me if I'd gotten a pregnancy test to find out if I was pregnant yet. I almost started crying. But I have had a growth spurt since then and if I wear the right shirt, my friends say I look pregnant. (I sure know I look pregnant!)

The natural birth trophy is such a great idea, I would totally whip that out, lol :) I have always wanted a natural birth, but EVERYONE keeps telling me that I'll change my mind when the time comes. It kind of scares me that everyone else is so sure of what my personal experience will be like.

• "You're whole life is going to change. Say goodbye to the good life."

Yes, I know my life is going to change significantly but stop with all the negativity. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageOlalala157:

"Oh was this planned??"

Would you like to climb into bed with me and dh next time too to find out anymore details? 

Ugh, same here! I've said since DD was born that I'd like my kids to be about 2.5 years apart, so when I got pregnant again it really shouldn't have been a surprise...yet, at a family get-together, my aunt comes up and asks me "Was it planned?"

I really wish I had the guts to say have said something like "would you like to know the position we were in too?". I don't ask about your sex life, don't ask about mine!

• It really is the worst when out of the blue someone brings up a story about a miscarriage or stillbirth.  Why would you bring up such a thing to a pregnant woman?

I had a "friend" tell me recently (referring to birth) "you're gonna go through hell."  Uhh, thanks so much for the positive attitude.  Oh, and this was a man, btw.

• "Twins?  That's great.  Now you're done!" (Um maybe...but what if we want more than 2 kids?  Why is two kids the "golden" number?)

"Twins?  Oh lord, better you than me!"  (No sh!t...I'd much rather ME have twins than you because OBVIOUSLY you wouldn't be able to handle it).

"So, you guys had fertility treatments."  (Um, if we HAD and I hadn't talked to you about it before, why would I tell you now?  But NO we did not.  We're having identical twins, fertility treatments do not increase the chances of identicals).

"My cousin's uncle's half-brother's first wife's sister had twins and said it was the worst thing that ever happened to her."  (Did I ask?  No?  Huh, there MUST have been a reason why I haven't asked you about the experiences of people you have heard of who have twins).

"Do you realize how BIG you are going to get?" (I'm going to get big?  Are you SURE?  Awesome!  Maybe I'll grow a few inches too because that would be even better).

Visit My Twin Life 
  • imageMommaErica:
    imageemilyj77:

My favorite is, "wow, you're bigger than the last time I saw you." or "wow, you're getting so big." 

• oh I have more!

"Look how big you've gotten!" (sure, I have a belly now but I'm having twins...what's your excuse for YOUR belly?)

"Aren't you disappointed you're having two girls instead of one of each?"  (Not really, I'd be worried if my identical twins were a boy and a girl).

"You're life is going to change."  (Really? I hadn't thought of that).

Visit My Twin Life 
  • Oh, right, and the cloth diapering thing.  One of the guys my husband works with told him "I'll give her a week."  Worse yet, my husband started parroting him.  Finally I had to ask- well, did he try cloth diapering his kids?  If not, wtf does he know about it?  Anyway, somehow I doubt that someone would make a several hundred dollar investment in diapers for newborns and not even try to make it work.  AND FINALLY (now I'm on a roll, LOL) what's with the "give HER a week"???  Like I'm going to be the only one changing this child's diapers??? 

And this is exactly why I don't spend much time talking about these things IRL!

• "You're pregnant...  AGAIN?!?!"  Yes, yes I am.  It's only #3, it's not like is is #16.  Really not that shocking.

Before we knew what we were having.  "Oh so you are really hoping for a boy right?"  No, actually I'm just hoping for a healthy baby.  There are reasons that I hope it is a girl and reasons I hope it's a boy.

Now that we know it's a boy "Your husband must be so happy."  Yeah, he is because the baby is healthy and you know we are having a baby and that's exciting.  He was just as excited about having our two girls TYVM.

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Any comment that begins with "Just you wait..." makes me want to punch people.

A friend who is constantly comparing her pregnancy to mine. "Oh mine was way worse!" STFU.

People who tell me I'm a jerk/being mean for not telling them the baby's name.

And lastly, entirely from my mother, "Every woman wants her mother in the delivery room! You're being stupid not letting me come stay with you, you're going to need help after the baby!"  Where does she think my husband will be?

• imageraeski2008:

The natural birth trophy is such a great idea, I would totally whip that out, lol :) I have always wanted a natural birth, but EVERYONE keeps telling me that I'll change my mind when the time comes. It kind of scares me that everyone else is so sure of what my personal experience will be like.

I think the worst part about that is if you DO change your mind, for your own reasons, they'll be smug and all "I told you so". Hey, jerkface, your input had nothing to do with my decision either way!

• Oh yeah - "Mr Janimal must be so happy" because it's a boy.  That makes me want to slap a biitch.  Girls are just as worthy of their father's happiness assclown!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD1 has some developmental delays and some medical issues and when people hear we're having a 3rd they always ask if we had genetic testing done. I always say the same thing "No, nothing is going to change our mind and no testing can detect these issues before birth."

Heck, the researchers are still trying to pinpoint the genes causing some of the issues!

• I've only gotten one negative weight comment so far. From a friend of my parent's who thinks I'm having a boy because HE can tell by the weight in my face. So basically you're telling me that I have a fat face or have gained weight in my face. Thanks!

Most people say I have a cute bump, but actually my "bump" is pretty low which has caused all the other organs in my body to be pushed up, creating a "bump". Therefore I don't believe them when they say I have a cute bump, but I try to be gracious nonetheless.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagejennz201:

Me: "Yeah, DH and I are super excited that we are going to use cloth diapers."

Random stranger or family member: "Huh, well good luck with that! I had a friend/relative/stranger that tried CD and they said it was horrible!"

Shut up and keep your opinions to yourself. Grrr

Can't even tell you how many times I have heard this.

Heres another....

Them: "so when are you going to start trying for another?"

Us: "not sure, we might just be a singleton family" 

Them: "how could you do that to your child, they arent going to be socially adjusted, they will be shy, spoiled, a brat, and lonely, plus, thats so selfish of you, your child really deserves at least one sibling"

Gee, would you like to donate money to our bank account then, to cover all of the costs associated with raising two children, not to mention medical? Did you realize we didn't even know if we could have one? We want to be able to provide a good life (not spoil) for our child, and if that means only having one, we are perfectly happy with that. I can provide you with many research articles on "onlies" and "singletons" if you'd like to see studies on their social adjustment.  

Be the change you want to see in the world. Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Before we got pregnant, EVERYONE asked us "So when are you having a baby?!??" My family knows how much I love babies. I get that. And yes, we got married in August of 08, so yes, it was not right away. Of course, it really pissed me off when people would ask that when we had been trying for 8 months. F off!!!! Ugh.

I also had an aunt tell me before we got married (while I was in the midst of wedding planning "Why not have one now? You don't have to be married!" No sh!t, all 3 of your kids had babies out of wedlock (not that I frown upon it, but whatever) but that doesn't mean that's what I want! lol 

• imagemandapanda78:
    imageraeski2008:

I think the worst part about that is if you DO change your mind, for your own reasons, they'll be smug and all "I told you so". Hey, jerkface, your input had nothing to do with my decision either way!

Oooh, yeah, I'm dreading this from my inlaws.  They've been drug pushers from the start.   

• Not much different, but...

1.  "Oh, is Kevin disappointed?"  (because it's a girl).  Um no, actually he preferred a girl, though of course would've been happy with either.

2.  I know you ladies get a lot of comments about delivering naturally, but the reverse is also just as bad.  "Oh, you're getting an epidural? You know natural is best."  Well, I guess. Or "aren't you even going to try it?"  Um, no, thanks though.

3. Same goes for not breastfeeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"