Health & Exercise
Options

Exercise while pregnant

Hello!  I'm 9 weeks pregnant and had my first doctor's appointment today.  I've been working out consistently for over a year and lost about 60 pounds.  I asked my doctor about exercising while pregnant and she was really of no help.  Are there any great books or resources out there you would recommend?  

I've run in the past (done a few 5k's) but would not consider myself a runner, nor do I do it on a consistent basis.  I mostly do zumba, strength training with weights, cardio - a lot of videos (Jillian and Bob from the biggest loser, P90X, etc.), and recently started Tabata. 

Any feedback you have would be appreciated!

Thanks! 

Re: Exercise while pregnant

• Options
    I've been doing all the same stuff I was doing before I got pregnant.  I run, lift weights, swim a bit and bike.  I really haven't had to adjust my workouts much.  I just try to listen to my body and not over do it.  I have had to slow down my running and cut back on far I go.  However, I did run a few 5k's during my first tri.  During the first tri I was a bit more tired and found that step aerobics was a really good workout for me then.  I've had more energy lately and been able to do more. 
    imageAnniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ACOG is one of the best resouces for you to read and know.  It all comes down to "you didn't train like a knucklehead before you got pregnant, don't start training like one now!"  Listen to your body and follow its cues and it won't let you down.  If you need to hold back, do so, if you've got a lot of energy and are feeling up to it push to do your best for that day given what you have to work with. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The advice above is great and I also got that book although it was too boring to read!

As for working out, definitely talk to your Dr. but everything I've read and from my experience I say listen to your body and do what feels right.

In my first trimester I barely had the energy to get off of the couch, let alone work out. So I didn't. Second trimester was better and now that I'm in my 3rd I've somehow found the energy to do some amazing workouts (the last one was almost 2 hours of cardio and weights). I NEVER push myself to a straining level, am lifting lighter (not much but some) than pre-pregnancy and ALWAYS do what feels comfortable, safe and good for my body. I of course, don't do any supine exercises or exercises on machines that are high off the ground (like tricep dips/pull ups). You may need to adjust some of your workouts. 

Hopefully you will have more energy than I did in the weeks to come. Good luck!

Oh, Youtube videos are helpful too- for me I needed to find core exercises that didn't make me feel like I was smooshing my baby!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I am still working out and teaching group fitness classes at 35 weeks. The only thing I have had to really "give up" are yoga poses on my belly and crunch type movements.  I am still working my CORE, though. Plank is my best friend. Still doing cardio and weights.

You just have to listen to your body and make sure to pay special attention to your hydration.

Everyone is different and you have to do what is best for you. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • Options

I go on Youtube and search "prenatal pilates" or prenatal fitness, there are quite a few full length 10-40 min videos on there, even trimester specific ones :) Just be careful not to push yourself like you used to, one time I gave it a bit too much and then was sick on the couch all day after :( I did another new exercise and I got a cramp in my back all night, my nurse told me walking is mostly the best exercise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I worked out 5-6 days a wk my entire pregnancy, 45 min cardio every day and 2 days of light weights each week and yoga twice a week.  There is a book by james clapp(I think) who has done some research on pregnancy and exercise.  I actually didn't read the book but it might ease your mind about getting your heartrate elevated and keeping up the exercise.  I felt great my entire pregnancy and I'm sure much of that was due to exercising and the stretching that yoga provided.  Good luck!

ETA:  Also forget the 140 heartrate recommendation that many doctors still give.  ACOG has reversed itself on that recommendation.  Listen to your body and don't push to exhaustion.  Be careful to drink plenty(esp in the hot weather) and don't overheat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"