Preemies
Options

prevacid solutabs-help?

We were just switched from the compounded version of prevacid to the solutabs. The doctor told us to disolve in water and give them to her. So far, we aren't having much success with disolving the tabs into anything that she will actually take. We give all her other meds in a nipple or a syringe (the nipple method works best for us).

So...how do you dissolve your solutabs and get LO to take them?

Re: prevacid solutabs-help?

• Options
    beyogabeyoga member
    We dissolve it in water and ds takes it out of a dropper.  He's a mover and would easily try to help and knock a spoon out of our hands.  He holds the dropper in his mouth and sucks.  He seems to like the prevacid. 
  • Options
    jendbjendb member

We disolve them in 2 ml of water an give it to them in this syringe.  It works great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member
    Thanks ladies! I totally have one of those syringes and completely forgot about it! I'll have to try both ideas. The hardest part for us has been getting it to dissolve but maybe the bigger syringe or dropper will make a difference.
  • Options

They don't ever completely dissolve, that's part of the problem.  But if you dissolve them in a syringe like that, and make sure you hold it upright so the prevacid sinks to the bottom, you'll be able to get it all out.  It took us awhile to get the hang of it, but once we did DS took it fine. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I also use a syringe - LO takes half a tab and it fits in there (undissolved).  I push it to the bottom, then draw up a little waters - only a little more than covers the tab.  Then I roll the syringe (don't shake or it gets stuck to the top) around, pointing slightly down so the dissolved part goes towards the tip of the syringe.  Once it is dissolved, I shoot it in his mouth towards his cheek so he doesn't choke (usually in two squirts.)  Then, I add in a little more water, roll again to get any last bits that are sticking to the sides, and squirt again.  Luckily, DS doesn't mind and opens his mouth for the syringe each time!

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member
    imagenjdcgirl:

I also use a syringe - LO takes half a tab and it fits in there (undissolved).  I push it to the bottom, then draw up a little waters - only a little more than covers the tab.  Then I roll the syringe (don't shake or it gets stuck to the top) around, pointing slightly down so the dissolved part goes towards the tip of the syringe.  Once it is dissolved, I shoot it in his mouth towards his cheek so he doesn't choke (usually in two squirts.)  Then, I add in a little more water, roll again to get any last bits that are sticking to the sides, and squirt again.  Luckily, DS doesn't mind and opens his mouth for the syringe each time!

GL!

Thanks! I will try the rolling..I was shaking the syringe and of course that didn't work well. She seems to like the taste, its just getting it in her mouth that is the struggle. I tried this and it went much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"