Washington Babies

Need help with Ear Infection..Diarrhea

So originally baby got pinkeye on Sunday, 7/10.  Luckily, we got an antibiotic eyedrops.  He only had one day away from daycare, and it cleared up. 

Then the next week, he got sent home from daycare on Tuesday, 7/19.  My husband took him to the pediatrician, and he has a ear infection.  The pediatrician said that sometimes an ear infection can happen after pinkeye.  He has to be on the medication Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium for 10 days.  There was an aftereffect from the medicine of vomiting and diarrhea on Wednesday.  We thought he would be okay to take back to daycare on Friday, 7/22, but he got sent home for diarrhea and fussiness.  Luckily, he has not vomited since Wednesday.  But he still has the diarrhea this morning.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I called the pediatrician on Friday to see if we could stop the medication for the ear infection, in hope that baby's diarrhea would clear up, but they told us that we still have to have baby take the medication. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  He has been on Pedialyte.  I am trying yogurt.  I saw that they was a product called Organic B.R.A.T. feel better drink--do this help?  He has to be 24 hours free of diarrhea before he can return to daycare.   He is not quite on finger foods yet, and he mainly feed him whole milk, Similac Advanced formula, and baby food.   

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.

Re: Need help with Ear Infection..Diarrhea

• Antibiotics give diarrhea pretty regularly.   You should talk to your day care and tell them that it's not a stomach bug diarrhea and that it's just the effects of the antibiotics.  That might make a difference in whether they'll let him come back.  My kids take a while to get back to normal after antibiotics.  So so gross.  

You might ask your ped if you can give him some probiotics to help... you can get acidophilus in a powder that you can mix into his food.   

• Ditto Jill, definitely get some probiotics in there. You can call your pedi and ask what brand they like- I know there are some good ones but can't recall them off the top of my head. Also, not meant to be snarky but is there a reason he's not on real food yet? I would think that getting some good solids into him would help. Charlie loves toast and waffle strips- high fiber bread might be particularly good with the diarhhea. We usuaally butter ours but it's not necessary. Since it's not illness related diarhhea and a side effect of the meds, I wouldn't worry about limiting yourself to BRAT foods. Things with a high water content are good to keep him hydrated. Fruit and veggie chunks are good, C is also a big fan of pearled couscous which is fairly moist. We buy one made with basil that is really yummy for all of us. :) Hope he is feeling better soon!

image Visit The Nest!

• Loading the player...
  • I can only speak for what I would do, would have done (since I don't know your child's whole background). Given you can't go back in time, I would just stop the antibiotics and deal with an uncomfortable child for a few days until the ear infection passes on its own. I would give DC a lot of water to drink to help everything filter out of his body. (I have also learned that as soon as I stopped allowing my children to drink liquids while laying down, like in bed, the amount of ear infections we got were cut drastically.) I would probably cut back on the milk too until diarrhea completely resides.  
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Thanks for the advice. 

He is going at his own pace with the finger food.  It is hit or miss with him.  He does better at daycare, but it is hit or miss with daycare menu as well.  He is set to transition to Toddler Room during August and will be officially in Toddler Room at the beginning of September. 

He does the yucky teddy bear look with finger food.  He loves the HappyBaby Organic Puffs.  He likes YoBaby yogurt.  I am going to try him on more finger foods this weekend. 

He is also not walking on his own yet.  So for Gerber Food, we have him on the crawling stage food.  But we do not have him on Gerber Toddler food yet, since it says on the package that he needs to be walking. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • imageIrishSapphire:

Thanks for the advice. 

He is going at his own pace with the finger food.  It is hit or miss with him.  He does better at daycare, but it is hit or miss with daycare menu as well.  He is set to transition to Toddler Room during August and will be officially in Toddler Room at the beginning of September. 

He does the yucky teddy bear look with finger food.  He loves the HappyBaby Organic Puffs.  He likes YoBaby yogurt.  I am going to try him on more finger foods this weekend. 

He is also not walking on his own yet.  So for Gerber Food, we have him on the crawling stage food.  But we do not have him on Gerber Toddler food yet, since it says on the package that he needs to be walking. 

I don't know what walking would have to do with eating.   Most kids eat plenty of finger foods well before a year old and plenty of kids don't walk until a year or older.   

It really is worth trying to get more of the real solid foods going so that he doesn't develop a texture aversion.   Obviously don't force it.  But try to offer real foods pretty often and before the purees.  He's plenty old enough to eat any adult food at this point. 

• I hate antibiotics for this whole reason.  They start feeling better, but then they get aweful diarrhea from it, then the diaper rash that come next.  The best advice i got for them not to get diarrhea is to add probiotics to their diet.  I even do this when i am not feeling so well in that department.  It works wonders.  The best kind (that our pediatrcian recommended) was Culterelle (at Bartells, fidn coupons on their website).  You do not have to buy the kids kind.  Just the big box of adult probiotic.  Break open the capsil in the top of the yobaby yogurt, don't mix it in, then feed it to him.  It doesn't taste bad and the yogurt makes it all go down.  It will make the diarrhea better, not sure it will eliminate it.  You actually don't have to do pedilight unless they get REALLY dehydrated or when the doctor tells you to.  Bananas and toast will help the diarrhea as well.
    My siggy never works right! Our bug is almost 3 now! image
  • imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    imageIrishSapphire:

Thanks for the advice. 

I don't know what walking would have to do with eating.   Most kids eat plenty of finger foods well before a year old and plenty of kids don't walk until a year or older.   

It really is worth trying to get more of the real solid foods going so that he doesn't develop a texture aversion.   Obviously don't force it.  But try to offer real foods pretty often and before the purees.  He's plenty old enough to eat any adult food at this point. 

This exactly.  We have done a combination of baby food (the squuezable pouches are especially easy for on the go) as well as BLW style food for months now, and C is definitely not walking.  I don't know why they put those things on there- the window for walking especially is very wide.  Some babies walk at 9 months, others at 16.  Really, your best bet is to just feed whatever you're feeding, provided it's obviously not inappropriate due to allergy concerns, spiciness, etc.  We do strips or small dices of meat, strips of grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas, cut up pasta in sauce, either super small or large, nommable pieces of fruits and veggies, yogurt (doesn't have to be a baby brand, we get the Trader Joe's full or low fat stuff), veggie sticks, waffles and pancakes, and pretty much anything else that we're having.  It's SO much easier and cheaper than buying baby specific foods.  And with kids in the age range A and C are in, you definitely want to expose them to lots of different tastes, textures, etc.  We do what Jill says, try real table foods first and if she's in a state where she'd rather be spoon fed, which does happen occasionally, then we open up baby food/yogurt/applesauce, etc.  Otherwise we'd rather she work on learning to chew and deal with different kinds of food. :)

image Visit The Nest!

• KNemoKNemo member
    imageSeattle_JiLLn:

Late to the game here, but I agree with Jill. Max didn't walk until he was 15-months old. He started eating finger foods at 6-months, and I cannot imagine holding off on more advanced finger foods until he was over a year. He would have gotten so bored. But because Aiden was so premature, maybe there is a reason for delaying the finger foods?

Max also had extreme reactions to Amoxicillan. We had to switch to Zithromax because he had a rash all over his body, spiked a HIGH fever (104.6), and had horrible diarrhea. It might be worth it to switch his antibiotics if the diarrhea persists, or if he develops any other symptoms.

I hope he's feeling better. Poor baby!

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    imageIrishSapphire:

Thanks for the advice. 

I agree w/ this- even if he's got no teeth his gums are a powerful thing.  Tiny pieces of cheese, avocado, lunch meat turkey, meatballs, scrambled eggs are all great places to start.  and DEFINITELY get some acidopholis capsules and give it to him 3 X a day in some applesauce or anything else you can give him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"