Preemies
Options

Oh no, freezer-mare!

I just walked into the kitchen to find the freezer door wide open & all my bottles of milk on display! This is what my nightmares are made of...and it's been scorching hot today so even with AC it's uncomfortable in here. The bottles in the door had melted some and some on the inside. Crying Our fridge door has been "broken" since we moved in...like you close the bottom & the top pops open, or they just keep opening when you close them. I have duck tape to fasten it (classy, right? our landlord doesn't care) but that wasn't attached. DH told me I was overreacting, but that's not the point! That's my blood, sweat, & tears! I got rid of a few, but I really don't know how 'bad' an accident it was...what do I do?

Re: Oh no, freezer-mare!

• Options

I would just go by the smell and err on the side of caution.  You know when it gets bad.

How frustrating!  People don't understand that bm is priceless to a preemie! 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry, mama.  I agree to err on the side of caution.  Hopefully your supply is good and your are able to keep on keeping on with the pumping and build your stash back up.  I would kick that freezer full force.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At the NICU they told me if this ever happened to save the bags that there was more ice than liquid.  They would likely be fine.  Mark the bags or bottles with marker so you know which one might be compromised and then smell (and maybe even taste) the milk before you give it. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Oh no! I'm so sorry!! I hope most of it is still salvagable
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member

I just saw this....man that sucks! Any chance that your landlord will fix your fridge? I don't have any other advice that hasn't already been said, just lots of sympathy. 

I'm guessing you don't have space for a deep freeze in your new place? I'm thinking we may buy one this weekend because we are running out of room the freezer fast!

• Options

After successfully transporting our deep freezer 300 miles after Z was released from the NICU (we used dry ice) and not losing any milk, we've had freezer issues THREE separate times where I've lost milk.  I know how devastating it is.

My lactation consultant said you can save milk that has ice crystals in it.  That isn't considered "thawed," so you don't have to pitch it.

Can you get a cheap or free freezer on Craig's list?  They sell them for cheap sometimes... Or maybe at a garage sale?  We had a deep freezer in our 250 square foot hotel room, so you can make it work anywhere!  :-) 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! I didn't get back on TB until now, but it's very helpful reading responses (especially because it isn't bad news!). K. I only dumped one, the rest I left, uncertain. We just switched to BF'ing so not sure if I'll ever make more to save. I've never dipped into it before so they're starting to expire (getting close)...considering a freezer, though! It's so cool that they are small & affordable now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"