LGBT Parenting

help settle a debate (silly clicky poll)

Okay, so S and I have been having a debate and we're turning to you all to help us "settle" it ("settle" is in quotes because no debate is ever SETTLED in our household, lol!). TIA!

[Poll]

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: help settle a debate (silly clicky poll)

• Edited so as to not give away who is on which side.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I think it is polite to say thank you - but the height of rudeness? Nah.

I am trying to think if we say thank you in our house after sneezing and I have no idea if we do or not.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I always say thank you when someone blesses my sneezes but that's just me.  I don't think it's the "height of rudeness" to not say thank you but I think it's nice to acknowledge that you heard the person saying it, a quick smile, a nod of the head, something along those lines is acceptable to me.
  • Not the height of rudeness, nor is obligated, but I think most people say thank you.  Ummm.....the more I think about it, I'm not sure.  I'll go wait for someone in my office to sneeze and report back on what happens ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's weird to acknowledge someone else's bodily function, so I don't say 'bless you.' If someone says it to me, I say 'thank you,' but only b/c it seems to be expected, and it would be rude to say 'mind your own business.' Big Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageleapgirl8:
    I think it's weird to acknowledge someone else's bodily function, so I don't say 'bless you.' If someone says it to me, I say 'thank you,' but only b/c it seems to be expected, and it would be rude to say 'mind your own business.' Big Smile
    This totally made me lol... literally!
  • I voted yes, but I don't know if I 100% agree with the extreme wording :)

• So who won? Wink
  • imageTwo*True:
    So who won? Wink
    S won. By a landslide, apparently!!

It all started a couple of nights ago when I sneezed at the kitchen sink. I was doing a million things and probably talking to the babies, too, and I neglected to say "thank you." A little while later I turn around to find S glaring at me. She said "can you please say 'thank you'?"

I'm of the opinion that if you want to bless me, go right on ahead, but don't bless me and then *expect* (wait for, ask for) me to thank you for doing something you should have been doing out of the kindness of your heart. Stick out tongue

But I also used to hate being "blessed" by people, in the height of my anti-religion days.

All that said, I have been making an effort to thank her when she blesses me.

• I love C's words today...HAVE TO, GLARING, MANDATORY, etc....I feel it shows how passionate she is about this subject. All that being said, I was raised by saying thank you after being "bless you'd" by somebody; an action of acknowledgment/respect. There are many myths about where "bless you" came from, but it has been around for quite awhile. In Mexico, we say "Salud" which is a wishing of good health, which is how I view bless you.

• imagegeeeegers:

I voted yes, but I don't know if I 100% agree with the extreme wording :)

I 100 percent agree. Sadly, that was why there was the "edited" post by me below the poll. I had written that it should say "should" instead of "have to", but C told me (and I agreed) that writing that post would let people know which stance we had.

• imagenevr2amazin:
    I love C's words today...HAVE TO, GLARING, MANDATORY, etc....I feel it shows how passionate she is about this subject.

Bahahaha, you two crack me up! What a great debate there must have been! Wink I don't agree with the harsh wording either, as I think there may be situations where it doesn't work but I do think it shows manners to say thanks when you can.

• I grew up hearing Salud (although not in my household) and I think K says it every now and again.

I'm with TWB in that at times it feels (or has felt) weird when people 'bless' me.  Like really? You have the power to bless? Umm, okay  ::shrug::  I'm not offended or anything if it happens now but I'm also not one to immediately jump in with a "bless you" to someone else.

• This was meant for Two*True............I hit reply instead of quote! Sorry...do not mean to offend anyone...including you True! Big Smile 

Bless YOU!

(I am so kidding...please forgive my humor (or lack thereof))

"Like really? You have the power to bless?"

(May we continue our "religious" debate? *HUGE SMILE*)

• imagenevr2amazin:

This was meant for Two*True............I hit reply instead of quote! Sorry...do not mean to offend anyone...including you True! Big Smile 

Bless YOU!

/dead (as in you're killing me) Big Smile When are you coming to NY? I absolutely want to continue our debate and have an honest interest in hearing your views.

• imageTwo*True:
    imagenevr2amazin:

This was meant for Two*True............I hit reply instead of quote! Sorry...do not mean to offend anyone...including you True! Big Smile 

Bless YOU!

/dead (as in you're killing me) Big Smile When are you coming to NY? I absolutely want to continue our debate and have an honest interest in hearing your views.

I am not sure when we will make it there...but I am looking forward to that day and having a conversation with you. (I have "faith" it will come.)

Uh....forgive me, but I cannot hold my tongue...YIKES! Geeked

Through faith, I "know" God's wishes for you (and all of us) is good health...me telling you "bless you" is not me believing I have the "power" to bless you, but rather God using my voice as a vessel to let you know that at (what I believe) the Highest level you are Blessed with the intention of good health. (I am not saying this as eloquently as I would like...but I hope I am clear.)

Now I will zip it. Zip it! 

Why oh why can't I keep my mouth shut on this public forum?

You so have to forgive me True...please............okay, now really zipping it! Zip it!Zip it!Zip it!Zip it!Zip it!

• imagenevr2amazin:

I am not sure when we will make it there...but I am looking forward to that day and having a conversation with you. (I have "faith" it will come.)

Uh....forgive me, but I cannot hold my tongue...YIKES! Geeked

Through faith, I "know" God's wishes for you (and all of us) is good health...me telling you "bless you" is not me believing I have the "power" to bless you, but rather God using my voice as a vessel to let you know that at (what I believe) the Highest level you are Blessed with the intention of good health. (I am not saying this as eloquently as I would like...but I hope I am clear.)

Now I will zip it. Zip it! 

Why oh why can't I keep my mouth shut on this public forum?

You so have to forgive me True...please............okay, now really zipping it! Zip it!Zip it!Zip it!Zip it!Zip it!

I'll only forgive you if you promise to keep doing it - lol!  I swear that you have to be related to one of my very close friends.  Your posts are almost word for word what she would say.  And she ALWAYS has something to say! Wink I have a feeling your backgrounds might be slightly similar, you both worship the ground your wives walk on, and you both play fantasy football.  If you and your really white twin sister were separated at birth, I know where she is Stick out tongue

• imageTwo*True:
    I swear that you have to be related to one of my very close friends.  Your posts are almost word for word what she would say.  And she ALWAYS has something to say! Wink I have a feeling your backgrounds might be slightly similar, you both worship the ground your wives walk on, and you both play fantasy football.  If you and your really white twin sister were separated at birth, I know where she is Stick out tongue
    Hear that, S? You're supposed to worship the ground I walk on, LOL! (Don't I wish!!)
  • imagethiswillbe:
    imageTwo*True:
    I swear that you have to be related to one of my very close friends.  Your posts are almost word for word what she would say.  And she ALWAYS has something to say! Wink I have a feeling your backgrounds might be slightly similar, you both worship the ground your wives walk on, and you both play fantasy football.  If you and your really white twin sister were separated at birth, I know where she is Stick out tongue
    Hear that, S? You're supposed to worship the ground I walk on, LOL! (Don't I wish!!)
    C, even though I glare at the back of your head; pretend that I don't hear one of the babies crying in the middle of the night; and yank the blankets away from you...I do worship the ground you walk on! Even moreso (if possible) when I watch you with the Kiddos...you are an awesome Mom!

• I put it depends, because I agree with aspects of both. I think it is polite to say thank you--maybe not the height of rudeness not to, though. I also think you should bless someone freely without it being a quid pro quo situation--it is a kind gesture, who cares if they thank you or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"