Preemies
Options

XP: If you were on IV mag, how long?

Hi Ladies, I peeked in the other day asking about your experiences w/ 32 weekers as I am on hospital bedrest due to preterm labor. They started me on IV mag (3mg/hr- due to increasing amount of contractions, not Pre-e) Tuesday night, and have tried weaning it down twice with no luck. I was just curious if you were on IV mag, how ling did you stay on it? I definitely want to keep these babies cooking a while longer, but would hate for there to be further complications from being on this drug. Thanks!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: If you were on IV mag, how long?

• Options

I went in to labor @ 33 weeks, 5 days. I was on the mag for about 36 hours when my contractions finally stopped and long enough to get my 2 steroid shots. My LO was born 24 hours later after he showed signs of distress. He spent 9 days in the NICU learning to eat and be monitored for jaundice and temp regulation.

Good luck!

• Options
    I was on it for pre-e, but I was on it for almost 5 days. During induction and then for 24 hours after delivery. No complications from it. Generally, if you are on Mag, than any risk is outweighed by the benefit.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OscarQOscarQ member
    I was on it for two 24 hour periods.  When I was admited to High Risk and then a week later when he was delivered.  No complications from the mag for LO.  It just sux for you (I still get shivers when thinking about the mag - I hated it!).
  • Options
    I was on mag for pre-e for about 36 hours, basically from the time I was admitted until the day after I delivered DD.

• Options

I was on it for 3 days but the normal dose didn't work for me so they had to up it. I think I was on 6mg/kg but I am not 100% sure. I didn't really have any complications except it made me feel like crap.  DS's heart rate did drop at one point (still within range) but they thought it was a combination of the nubain & the mag/sulf.  I was on it right up until the time I was induced.  Basically by the time they got my contractions to finally stop, it was time to start the prostin gels. Not my favorite drug. People always complain about pitocin but I would take that any day over mag/sulf.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    I guess I should clarify that baby didn't have any complications. I felt like total crap. However, it was worth it to keep me & baby safe.
  • Options
    I was on the highest dose of mag they could give me continuously for TWELVE DAYS and had two bolus pushes in there too. I can't complain about it because it got me to 24 weeks but that stuff is MISERABLE! My babies don't seem to have any complications from it, but I did end up with a kidney stone.
  • Options

I was on for about 20 hours until DS was ready to come out. No compications from it other than making me extremly tired/sluggish and very hot for a few days after.

DS's heart rate was perfect the entire time.

• Options

I went into labor at 29w5d 3cm and 70%, no pre-e.  I was on it for 72 hours total. 

I had the initial bolus around 2pm on a Saturday, then 12 hours later, after somewhat calming the contractions, I went back into labor.  They gave me another bolus.  That got me through the next 48 hours.  They sent me home the next Wednesday on Procardia.  I was home for 24 hours when my water broke and I delivered Thursday afternoon at 30w 1d. Basically cooked him long enough to get both doses of steroids.  He was in the NICU for 7 weeks.  But the difference between 30 weeks and 32 is HUGE!!

FWIW, My sister delivered my first nephew at 32w 5d and he did very very well! In the NICU for 2 weeks. 

GL :)

• Options

I had 2 magnesium boluses and a drip because it has been show to protect preemies brains and reduce the risk of cerebral palsy. So, the day they thought I would deliver and the day I actually delivered. 

I would talk to your doctor about it.  They will likely be able to reduce your anxiety about this.  

Magnesium is the weirdest drug I've ever been on.  I said some crazy stuff on it and acted totally bizarre.  The biggest thing I remember is flipping out about how hot it made me.  LOL!   But, honestly, I was glad I'd just gotten a bolus before my c-section because it had me so whacked out that I don't think the whole thing was as emotionally traumatizing as it would have been if I was in a more clear state of mind.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I was on 2 rounds of it 24 hours each time. The first time was when I was 26 weeks to stop my contractions. The second was to also stop my contractions and that was at 30 weeks. I delivered at 31 weeks. I was able to get my second round of steriod shots in before she was born a week later!
  • Options

I went into PTL with our twins at 22w1d, and they thought they had it under control for about 24 hours with terb and procardia.  Right before they were going to release me, things kicked way back up and they had to put me on mag.  Over the next 2 days they gave me two boluses of 6 and kept me at about 3 1/2.  I was so out of it -- thought I saw buffalo in the hallway and was so weak that I couldn't swallow correctly.  Thank goodness for a caring nurse who heard me when I kept trying to tell her "poisoned" and ran the mag levels in my blood.  The doctors came back in a few hours and said they had to reduce the level to 3 because it was too much for my body.  By that point, though, the mag had in a roundabout way caused me to have aspirational pneumonia -- it had made me vomit and I wasn't able to clear it without aspirating.

Long(er) story short(er), I was on the mag to some degree for the next 5 weeks, when I was weaned off and kept on a regimen of terb and procardia.  I also had a couple of courses of antibiotics along the way to get rid of the pneumonia and to try and avoid a UTI since I had a catheter most of that time. Even with all the issues, I am glad I was on the mag, because my OB is convinced it is what kept them "cooking" until the terb and procardia were enough to keep the PTL under control.  With those meds and almost total bedrest, I carried them until 36w0d.  They were able to leave the hospital with us at 4 days old, even though they were tiny.  Their pedis went back and forth about whether to assess them on adjusted age or not for their first year, and now only use their actual age.  We haven't found anything resulting from the mag. 

I know the mag feels awful, but I hope it keeps those babies inside awhile longer!  Best wishes to you!

After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was on mag to stop contractions for 2 weeks.  It wasn't fun!!  I don't know of any long lasting side effects of being on mag despite the immediate discomfort!
  • Options
    I had severe pre-e and was on it for 72 hours, then after DD was born on it for another 24 hours. As pp said any risk is outweighed by the benefit.  GL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"