Illinois Babies
Options

Questions about Childbirth Classes at NMH/Prentice

What classes did you take? Which would you recommend and which would you skip? At what point in your pregnancy did you start taking classes? Any other tips that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance! I know it's really early for me to be thinking about all this, but I'd like to have some sort of plan.

bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Questions about Childbirth Classes at NMH/Prentice

• Options

We did the all day weekend Great Expectations class. I had already read a lot of the info, but thought the class was worthwhile. it was really good for my H to get a lot of the info because he didn't read anything. it definitely helped when our LO came for him to have heard everything from the nurse.  We took it when I was like 30 something weeks. I wouldn't worry about doing it too far before then.

I wish I'd taken a breastfeeding class at Prentice. I took one at Bellybum and it was fine-but not worth the money really. though I love Bellybum for other things.  We still haven't taken infant CPR, but need to do that.

BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we took the Great Expectations class when i was 36 weeks i think.  It was nice to get a good breakdown of what would happen on delivery day...although i think i was more nervous after we went lol  I just liked walking through where to go when u first arrive, knowing how long you will be in what area.  I recommend it. 

If you don't have much experience with babies, the basic infant care course looked good too.  It was going on across the hall during our class, so of course i peeked in lol

**Kelly***

image image
    Visit The Nest!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the help ladies! I'm assuming I will also be more nervous after going to the class.

Weddingcaketaster - Your daughter is so cute! 

• Options

I was looking at the weekend class. Do you remember if the price was per couple or per parent? It just says "spot available". Wanted to know what made up a spot.

thanks! 

• Options

We just did the Great Expectations last Saturday. I felt quite a bit better after the class knowing the process and being able to talk about fears. The teacher is an actual nurse at Prentice so she was very helpful. We are doing the breastfeeding and CPR class next Saturday.

The price is per couple and they give you parking validation at the hosptial lot if you need it.

image"">

• Options
    I recently did the 1 day Great Expectation Class at Prentice as well.  I definitely thought it was worth it.  Lots of good info, even if you have already read about some of it.  I thought the tour was good to do before the actual day!  I recommend it, esp if it's your first. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks again ladies! This was all really helpful!

• Options
    We took a pediatric care for your newborn class and it was terrible! However the CPR class was very helpful. Great Expectations was fine - the tour was the best part. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Classes at Prentice

Great Expectations @~30 wks, thumbs up (reg. covers a couple, both mom and dad)

Breastfeeding @~35 wks not great if you know anything about breastfeeding, good if you know nothing (reg. covers couple)

Classes from my work

CPR and first aid, recommend getting it somewhere for peace of mind.

Classes I wish I took:

Lamaze or Bradley.  Read a book, talked to Mom, started watching a Lamaze DVD that arrived in mail right before my water broke (11 days early).  With the help of my Mother, two sisters, husband and a clear cut birth plan I actuallty did it natural.  Though would have probably been SOL without one component.  Though if you want the epidural no worries!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"