Babies on the Brain
Options

WTF is a swamp cooler? (nft)

Re: WTF is a swamp cooler? (nft)

• Options

My ex-bf had one.  It's like an indoor a/c unit. 

I'd like to think they call it a swamp cooler because that bad boy stank!  It doesn't exhaust outside like a window a/c unit would so all the funky cooled off air flow sits stagnant in your house.  Or maybe his was just old....I dunno, it was bad.  LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I thought they were just like giant fans.  But I just looked them up and it looks like there's more to them than that.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It cools things off like an AC but also by adding moisture to the air. Really great in dry climates, really miserable and soggy in humid ones.

(Think about the cooling affect of evaporation and it's something like that.)

• Options
    Thank you for asking. I had no idea either.
    Jack Donovan, b. Christmas Eve, 2009.

imagemonkeybuttjunction image

• Options
    It is kind of like an A/C unit that uses evaporation to cool the air.  Some houses out here in AZ have them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP 2/17/12 EDD 10/24/12 MM/C 3/22/12 D&C 3/27, 4/4, 4/9
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options

imageMelaneigh:
    I thought they were just like giant fans.  But I just looked them up and it looks like there's more to them than that.

Really? I thought they were whole house fans too. They are kind of common around here. I had never heard of one until CO. 

TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • Options

They cool using evaporating water. 

In dry places, they are a god send because the water makes the dry air a bit more bearable.

In humid places, like the south- where I lived in an apartment with one, they are the devil. A wet, nasty, moldy devil. 

Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • Options
    I had never heard of them until the FFFC thread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Evap cooler. We had them when we lived in Barstow (desert).
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMandyBrownNoser:

They cool using evaporating water. 

In dry places, they are a god send because the water makes the dry air a bit more bearable.

In humid places, like the south- where I lived in an apartment with one, they are the devil. A wet, nasty, moldy devil. 

That's why they're common around here! Thanks!

TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"