Military Families
Options

Fort Sam Houston Ladies?

Hello everyone! Does anyone know that area around Fort Sam Houston well? My husband and I are looking to rent, and I was wondering if any of you knew a good place that is safe to rent? Thank you! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fort Sam Houston Ladies?

• Options

Right around Ft. Sam.. there is nothing "safe", in a affordable area. Alamo Heights is the only one I can think of, but its a pricey area if youre looking for a house. Base housing isnt too bad, idk your DHs rank but its pretty quaint. Then you dont have to worry about electric, gas, lawn or house maintence. Also for school aged children, all the schools are on base which is great.

Its about a 20 minute drive but I suggest the Schertz, & Selma area if youre looking for a house. They have pretty good schools over that way too.

Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Thanks! Is Alamo Heights a housing community or an apartment complex? I think we are looking to get an apartment right now.But that's good to know about the housing on base, we will keep it in mind! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Alamo Heights is a community close to base. Its on a street called broadway. I can think of a few apartments around that area. Base housing is cute. If its only you, YH, and a child they put you in a 2 bedroom. For enlisted, they ARE older homes.. from the 1920s actually but its cute! They have big front porches and hardwood floors. I think most of the bathrooms and kitchens have been redone with new countertops and new appliances too. I really suggest atleast checking it out! I had never lived on base before I moved there and I actually really liked it.
    Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

On post housing is nice there- it's one of the only posts where I would consider living in military housing.

Alamo Heights is the community name- it's an area near post. It is very nice, but pricy. I don't know about schools in the area.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your help! :)
  • Options

I grew up in San Antonio. I agree with pps that the area closest to base is not so nice. Alamo Heights is a wealthier area - they have their own school district. I had friends who went to high school there and they liked it.

One of my best friends lives in an apartment in Universal City (which is near the Selma/Schertz area mentioned by a pp), and they really like it. The only thing not to like is the traffic on I-35 at rush hour. I sat in that traffic many times after work on my way to visit her - not fun.

There are also nice areas along hwy 281, but there is also a lot of a traffic going that way at rush hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"