Washington Babies

Fave baby shower games??

I'm helping put together a shower next weekend and we want a couple non-cheesy games to play.  Personally, I kind of love the disgusting melted candy bars in the diaper game, but this won't be that kind of shower.  We've already vetoed the guess how big the belly is game.  There are a couple other ideas floating around, but I thought I'd come to the pros.  TIA!  :)

Re: Fave baby shower games??

• My cousin did this for me and I love it.  She got a ton of white onesies and some fabric pens and stencils and then had people decorate some onesies (and bibs too).  I was able to take all of them home and then I chose the one that was my favorite and the person who drew the one I chose got a prize.  If you end up doing this I have a bunch of fabric pens you can borrow.

A wears them as undershirts all the time!

M + K = 05.16.09 | A.P. = 02.27.11
  • At the beginning of my shower we were all given necklaces with little pink pacifiers on them, and were told that we weren't allowed to use the word "baby." If we did, the first person to catch us would get to take our necklace. At the end of the party the person with the most necklaces won. It was a ton of fun! I actually embarrassed the crap out of myself by jumping up and down, pointing and yelling "you said IT!" when I caught the first person to use "the word" lol Embarrassed

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I like the "match the celebrity to their baby's name" game!
    imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • I like the baby celebrity name game too.

I also like the one where everyone sends the host an email with one of their own baby pictures attached. The host prints them out, hangs them up and then its a guessing game to see if you can match each guest with their baby picture.

There is also Present Bingo.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I like the "Match the Celebrity to their own Baby Picture" game.  At one shower I went to, they started a pool with stats - length, weight, date, and time - people filled in lists and a calendar, and supposedly the winners were mailed prizes when the baby was actually born.  Even if they weren't, it fueled some good conversation and mingling.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I saw this on Pinterest and it looked nice:  https://www.lilsugar.com/April-Showers-Heirloom-Shower-3051976?page=0,0,3#3

I also once did a jeopardy type game with baby related trivia questions.

• This one might be on the "cheesy" side but I liked it. Everyone was given a paper plate and a pen. We had to put the paper plate on top of our heads (so we couldn't see) and draw a picture of a baby. We had like 1 minute or something to do it, then we were given another 15 seconds to look at the drawing and try to make some improvements to it. The momma-to-be chose the one she thought was the best as the winner. The "art work" was hilarious. It got some good laughs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was going to suggest the melted candy one! I love the cheesy games too! :)

At my shower the host bought a white piggy bank and all the guests signed/wrote a short message on it to Ella with colorful sharpies! It turned out really cute!

Another idea was to guess the top 3 baby names (boy and girl) for the previous year... just depends on the crowd if they'll have any clue or not.

I also remember seeing someone on the bump have a shower where there were quilt squares that people could decorate and then someone sewed it together for the baby... obviously that's a little more time consuming! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've done the "make a baby out of Play-Doh" one a couple times and it's fun. Each guest gets a small container of Play-Doh and you give them a set amount of time (5 minutes?) to make a baby, then the guest of honor picks the winner. They come out pretty funny.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • My favorite is you gather some common baby items (a diaper, a small pack of wipes, a onesie, small lotion, small shampoo, diaper pins, teething ring, pacifier, jar of food, q-tips, spoons, outlet covers, etc.) and you put one item per small paper bag.  Number the bags and the guests have to feel through the paper bags to try to guess the item.  The few times we've done this, it has been a huge hit!

Marcie

• Oh and the other fun one is a candy bar game as well.  It is the story of baby (insert name).  You write the name of the candy bar on a piece of paper.  You pass one out per guest and any leftovers give to the mom to be.  Then you start your story. Mine went.  When (MOM) first met (DAD) she thought Wow, what a ____________ (Big Hunk).  When (MOM) told (DAD) it was time to start trying to have a baby, (DAD) thought ___________ (Skor).  And so on. 

?Daddy at conception (answer: Big Hunk)
    ?The conception (Skor)
    ?Pregnant belly (Chunky)
    ?Choosing baby's name (Whatchmacallit)
    ?Girl's name (Baby Ruth)
    ?Twin boys* (Mike and Ike)
    ?Contractions* (Now and Later)
    Labor and Delivery

?Hospital address (5th Avenue)
    ?Late to hospital (Rocky Road)
    ?Anesthesiologist (Mr. Goodbar)
    ?Epidurals* (Life Savers)
    ?Delivery doctor (Butterfinger)
    ?Labor and delivery nurses* (Sweet Tarts)
    ?Daddy during delivery* (Bonkers)
    ?Umbilical cord* (Twizzlers)
    ?Hospital nursery*(Cry Babies )
    ?Hospital bills (100 Grand)
    ?Hospital accountants* (Nerds)
    Your baby's first days

?Seeing your baby* (Tear Jerkers)
    ?Premie* (Runts)

?11 pound babies* (Whoppers)
    ?Swashbuckling triplets (3 Muskateers)
    ?Chunky baby* (Rolo's)
    ?Breast engorgement (Mounds)
    ?Postpartum tummy* (Jelly Belly)
    ?Breast feeding (Milky Way)
    ?Grandparents* (Sugar Daddies)
    Bringing your baby home

?Time alone (Zero)

?Mommy's lunch (Take 5)
    ?Mommy's sleep time (Fast Break)
    ?Baby giggles (Snickers)
    ?Diapers, formula, medicine (Payday)
    ?Dirty diaper* (Milk Duds)
    ?Lullabyes (Symphony)
    ?Love my baby* (Hugs and Kisses)
    ?Teething (Crunch)

?Daycare* (Sugar Babies)
    ?Baby's intelligence* (Smarts)
    ?Your new baby (Treasures)
    Marcie

• Drinking.

(not for the mother to be of course)

• imagepreston18:

Drinking.

This. I went to a shower where we had to drink cocktails through baby bottles. It was hilarious.

• imageMandR:

My favorite is you gather some common baby items (a diaper, a small pack of wipes, a onesie, small lotion, small shampoo, diaper pins, teething ring, pacifier, jar of food, q-tips, spoons, outlet covers, etc.) and you put one item per small paper bag.  Number the bags and the guests have to feel through the paper bags to try to guess the item.  The few times we've done this, it has been a huge hit!

Marcie

Another variation on this (not really, but it involves the same items so what the heck) that we did at my shower, was to have the mom-to-be carry out a serving tray with the above items (or anything) on it and tell the guests that you're now going to play the memory game. Give them a minute to look at things and then remove the mom-to-be and the tray from the room. Then tell them to write down what the mom-to-be was wearing. Chances are they will be caught totally off guard ("wait, I was memorizing the tray!") and everyone should get a few good laughs out of it. Then see how they do!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageitskacie:
    imagepreston18:

Drinking.

This. I went to a shower where we had to drink cocktails through baby bottles. It was hilarious.

I was going to suggest this to the host, but I'm not sure it'll fly.  Hell... I'm going to suggest it anyway. 

• I love the one where everybody makes guesses on new baby's future career, birth weight and height, eye color, favorite hobbies, etc. The ones that most closely resemble the mom's wins. And it's a fun keepsake for the mom to have.
  • I love baby shower games.  :)

I got to pick the ones for my shower and I chose the Left/Right story.  Easy, non thinking game.  the host reads the story and you start out having someone hold a baby item.... like a rubber duckie, a bottle, whatever.  Everytime you say "left" or "right" the quests have to pass the item.  At teh end of the story, the person left holding the item gets a prize. 

Here is a story:  (this is not the version I had, it's on my old computer that died..i just googled this one)

LEFT RIGHT BABY SHOWER GAME STORY:

Mrs. WRIGHT went into labor. Mr. WRIGHT prepared to take Mrs. WRIGHT RIGHT to the hospital. He was in such a hurry that he put his RIGHT shoe on his LEFT foot. Obviously, he was not in his RIGHT frame of mind. Mrs. WRIGHT grabbed her sweater from the LEFT hand side of the closet and they quickly LEFT the house for the hospital. As Mr. WRIGHT approached the hospital, he noticed a detour sign. The LEFT turning lane was blocked so he turned RIGHT instead. Mr. WRIGHT drove RIGHT in front of the hospital entrance and helped Mrs. WRIGHT inside. As soon as they got inside the hospital he realized that he had LEFT the car running. He had to go RIGHT back outside to turn off the engine.

He LEFT the car parked in front of the hospital and headed RIGHT back for the reception desk. As he approached the desk, he realized that he had LEFT the keys in the ignition. Panicked, he went RIGHT back to the car, but noticed that the LEFT driver side door was locked. Luckily Mrs. WRIGHT hadnt locked the RIGHT side door.

Mr. WRIGHT ran RIGHT back into the hospital again. Mrs. WRIGHT had been taken to the labor and delivery. The nurse instructed him to go down the blue hall and turn LEFT, RIGHT just passed the water fountain. By the time Mr. WRIGHT got to the room, Mrs. Wright was already pushing, so the Dr. asked Mr. WRIGHT to stand on the RIGHT side of Mrs. WRIGHT's bed and hold her RIGHT hand..

Mrs Wright looked RIGHT into Mr. WRIGHT's eyes and asked, Where is the video camera? Oh no, said Mr. WRIGHT, I LEFT it at home! Mrs. WRIGHT closed her eyes and said, RIGHT now, you are not my favorite person. It might be better if you just LEFT the room.

LEFT? Ask Mr. WRIGHT. That wouldnnt be RIGHT at all. Im staying here with you. RIGHT then, Mrs. WRIGHT screamed and squeezed Mr. WRIGHT's LEFT hand really tight. Mrs. WRIGHT had the baby!

Mr. WRIGHT passed out. The nurses ran RIGHT over to him and placed him in a chair. When he came to, he saw Mrs. WRIGHT holding twins. A baby boy was on her LEFT arm and a baby girl was on her RIGHT. Mrs. WRIGHT was smiling and Mr. WRIGHT was too. Not only had they been blessed to have one WRIGHT baby, now they had two.

Have Fun!

I also did the candy bar matching game.  This one is so unique.  I went to a shower once and played it.  I LOVED it so I recreated it for mine and have done for family members too.  It's SOOO much fun!  The grandmas loved it too.  All the guests kept wondering where it was going, then they got excited to see what the next candy match up would be. 

Here is a synoposis I found on the internet.  It does take some work on your end.  I had a beautiful board I made, but loaned it out and never got it back.  I bought a poster board at the Dollar store, placed sticky notes to hold the places and then drew the grid with a sharpie.  I think I did it 5x7 for 35 spots so I had 1 free space and then 17 duplicate words for 17 candy bars.  I then wrote my baby words in 2 different squared randomly on the board and covered with 2 sticky notes. (2 since you could see thru one)  then wrote 1-35 on each sticky note.  Easy to pull off and put back.   SO FUN!!!!  A little slow at first, but once it gets going, going around the room with people picking numbers trying to get a match, it goes quick.  I had a few different candy bars to go with other terms.  The Grandmas laughed SO hard at Skor.  :)

One of the most fun laugh-out-loud games, the candy bar baby shower game can be played in several ways, but the most popular way is to play it as a memory game. You simply play this game like you played a classic childhood memory game. Just set up a poster board or cork board that measures 5 squares by 6 squares (total of 30 squares or 15 pairs of baby terms). You can use a yardstick and sharpie pen to draw straight lines while creating the grid. In each grid square, write one of the baby terms being sure to mix them all up (each term will appear twice within the grid). Then, pin or tape small construction paper squares with a number (1 through 30) on them over each grid square so that all the terms are covered up. Going around the room, each guest takes a turn by choosing 2 numbers. If they don't guess a matching pair, cover the 2 squares back up and the next person in line is up to guess. If they get a matching pair, they win the candy bar associated with the term. For instance, if they get the matching pair of ?breastfeeding' squares, they'd get a Milky Way candy bar as their prize.  Be sure that you buy at least one of all the candy bars on the list so that you have a prize for each correctly guessed answer.

The Conception: SKOR

Epidural : Lifesavers

Anestesilogist:  Mr. Goodbar

Umbilical Cord: Twizzlers

Teenage years: Rocky Road

Hospital Address: 5th Avenue

Choosing A Baby Name: Watchamacallit

Newborn Girl: Baby Ruth

Twin Boys: Mike & Ike

Triplets: Three Musketeers

10 Pound Baby: Whoppers

Preemie: Runts

Father or Dad: Sugar Daddy

Breastfeeding: Milky Way

Engorgement; Milk Duds

Laundry: Mounds

Hospital Bills or College Fund: 100 Grand

Bottle: Bottle Pop Candy

Mom Alone Time: Zero

Lullaby: Symphony

Mom Nap Time: Take Five

Baby Giggles: Snickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I did baby item pictionary.  That was really fun.
    My siggy never works right! Our bug is almost 3 now! image
  • I hate shower games.  So much so that I had a party at night with booze and food and no opening gifts or games.  So it takes a lot for me to actually enjoy a shower game (I know, I know I'm a downer to this thread).  BUT there were 2 games at a baby shower I went to that I really enjoyed. 

1. Name That Tune- Baby edition: The host played  Rockabye Baby lullabies (the instrumental lullabies version of rock songs) and we had to write down our guesses.  The person with the most right won. Songs like these  It's harder than it sounds but really fun.

2. Children's Book Titles- They gave us a paper with a bunch of book plots/general premises and we had to write the book title.  You "know" all the books but coming up with the exact book title is hard.  

• imageQuincysBerry:
    imageMandR:

My favorite is you gather some common baby items (a diaper, a small pack of wipes, a onesie, small lotion, small shampoo, diaper pins, teething ring, pacifier, jar of food, q-tips, spoons, outlet covers, etc.) and you put one item per small paper bag.  Number the bags and the guests have to feel through the paper bags to try to guess the item.  The few times we've done this, it has been a huge hit!

Marcie

Another variation on this (not really, but it involves the same items so what the heck) that we did at my shower, was to have the mom-to-be carry out a serving tray with the above items (or anything) on it and tell the guests that you're now going to play the memory game. Give them a minute to look at things and then remove the mom-to-be and the tray from the room. Then tell them to write down what the mom-to-be was wearing. Chances are they will be caught totally off guard ("wait, I was memorizing the tray!") and everyone should get a few good laughs out of it. Then see how they do!

I really like this one! I have only seen it once and it was unexpected.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • imageitskacie:
    imagepreston18:

Drinking.

This is my fave. We had a couples shower with L and did this for the guys with beer. It was awesome. We played one at anouther couples shower where you tape the name of a baby item on everyone's back and you have to go around and ask everyone for 1 clue.

• my all time fave is "pin the sperm on the egg". i found a printout of of the uterus with cute little egg online, and then i made my own sperm with a cricut machine (using a balloon shape).

i also like the baby bottle chugging game, where you fill it with apple juice or something and whoever chugs the bottle first wins.

FWIW i hate the "can't say the word" game. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"