Preemies
Options

Peeking in.... Moms of 32'ish weekers ????

Hi Ladies, I was just wondering if those of you that has 32'ish weekers would share your experiences?? I usually post on the multiples board, but w/ recent events (admitted to hospital, dilating cervix & on IV mag) thought I would prepare myself for my LO's arrival sooner than later. Also just wondering if you decided to pump/ breastfeed, how long was it before you were able to put your LO to the breast? (FWIW I worked as a Respiratory therapist in a level III (some states call it level IV) NICU for 7 years & then now am a Speech Pathologist working w/ patients w/ swallowing problems, so the medical aspect of things I fully understand - it is just so surreal to be on the MoM/patient side of things now.) Thanks so much in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Peeking in.... Moms of 32'ish weekers ????

• Options
    Well my daughter was 33 weeks exactly when she was born and it took me about 2 weeks into her NICU stay to be able to breastfeed her. Thankfully we had a pretty uneventful stay. She was there for 32 days and was on an apnea moniter for about 7 weeks. I had sever pre-e so im not to sure on the dilating cervix part but I wish you all the best and a short uneventful stay!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My boys were born at 33 weeks. Baby B had problems that stemmed from my labor, but Baby A had an uneventful stay. He was on CPAP for just a couple of days and was tube fed for a couple of weeks before I was able to put him to breast. He had no trouble at all with being breast fed, other than staying awake:) I hope that you keep that baby in as long as you can, but if you can't that you have an uneventful NICU stay:) I'll send up a prayer for your lo!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My guys were born at 33 weeks. They were in the NICU for 2 weeks and I was able to put them on the breast in the last week of their stay. However, they weren't great nursers and I mostly pumped and bottle fed for the first 6 weeks. Once they hit their due date they BF much better. My advice to you is pump asap and often.

By the way, I also dilated early and they were able to stop labor with the mag. Good luck! 

• Options

Hi there! My DD was born at 32 weeks and was in the NICU for 20 days.  We had no major problems (thank God) and every day was better than before.  She was on CPAP, NG tube, billi lights, and thats about it.  The doctors and RN's let me bf her when she was there for about 1.5 weeks.  They allowed once per day, then upped it to twice, then as much as we wanted.  I started pumping just a few hours after my c-sec and had a much much larger supply than needed.  I hope you can keep your LO's cooking as long as possible and have a very uneventful NICU stay!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member

Start pumping as soon as you possibly can and pump every 3 hours around the clock, no matter what you LOs can eat at birth. This helps establish your supply, starts a BM stash for your freezer, and gives you a tangible way to care for your babies when they are in the NICU. Ask about the hospital's milk bank or how they handle pumped milk for the NICU so you can label your milk properly. A LC should come talk to you about all that but you can request a visit now since you are in the hospital waiting.

Generally speaking, babies develop the suck-swallow-breathe reflex between 32 and 34 weeks. At that point you can start putting them to breast/giving a bottle. The NICU usually likes to do both breastfeeding and bottle feeding because they can't measure intake on breastfeeding and they need to see how much your baby is getting and what they can tolerate. They may also want to fortify the breastmilk to help your LOs gain weight.

Good luck! Breastfeeding isn't easy in the NICU but it is possible-there are lots of success stories on this board (my 27 weeker included).

• Options

My DD was born at 33w 4d and spent 12 days in the NICU. She was on the CPAP, IV, NG tube, Bili lights for a few days. She had a few issues with BF. We tried on several occasion to get her to breast, but in the NICU when your not there they really do bottlefeeding hardcore. Although I wasn't to upset. I pumped from the time that I delivered until she was 2 months old. My supply really never came in. Sad

Before I was admitted I had high bp issues, they put me in Mag and I got one steroid shot before DD was born. My water broke after the one shot. I progressed pretty fast and I delivered her the following day. I will keeping you and your LO's in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated. 

• Options
    ppantsppants member

My twins were born at 32w3d when my water broke.  Before that I was on bedrest for PTL at 30w.  DS weighed 4 lbs 9 oz and DD was 4 lbs.  They were in the NICU for 22 days.  Good luck and hang in there!

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    My DS was born at 32w6d.  We had a pretty uneventful NICU stay as they were able to get both steroid shots before he arrived.  He was on IV, cannula for oxygen for a very short time, bili lights (1 day) & an NG tube. He was in the NICU for 11 days before he was discharged to go home.  I am not much help with breast feeding because I had supply issues from the beginning and eventually had to stop. Good luck!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

DD was 2lb3oz at 31w.

We're still trying to figure out the whole BFing thing. I keep pumping, and DD keeps screaming at my breast.

Our NICU experience was really uneventful. The most drama we encountered was the jaundice issues. Her levels went up, down, up, down for at least 4 weeks.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

Gabe was born at 31w3d.  He didn't need respiratory support, probably for 2 reasons.  He was IUGR which stresses them a lot and it causes the body to develop the lungs.  I also got my steroid shots.

He was on an IV for about 10 days and his NG tube the majority of the time he was there (6 weeks).   He was under the bili lights for 2 days (he responded to them REALLY well and his levels went down and stayed down). 

He had a few issues with feeding.  He didn't tolerate big increases in feeds well, then he didn't tolerate fortifier well (the 4 calorie, not so much the 2 calorie).  Once he got over that issue (basically, the doctors backed off their aggressive plans and just went more gradually) he did very well.  We still bottle feed.  He doesn't want to BF and I don't want to push him.  So, I don't.  I pump and feed him.  I still pump 7-9 times a day and plan to EP through RSV season and then give him freezer milk.  So far I've got about 1000 oz saved.  I hope to get him to 1.5 years on BM. 

He was a tiny guy (2lb3oz) so it was a challenge to get his temp regulated.  Once he was out of his isolette he had to have LOTS of layers to stay warm in a 70 degree room.  He was usually in: a onesie, footed sleeper, socks, hat, and swaddled in 2 blankets (sometimes a 3rd on top).  

He was having a lot of A's and B's, so he had to come home on a monitor.  He is still on it (he is 41w1d today).  He will be on the monitor until at least the 3rd of August.  However, when they came yesterday to download the info off his monitor it was clear he was still having A's and B's, so he may be on it longer.  We'll see. 

His ultrasound yesterday confirmed he does indeed have a hernia.  So, he'll be getting surgery sometime in late August/early September to correct it.  Which makes me sad.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

I had my little boy at 32 weeks 3 days. He was 5 lbs 3 oz. My water broke and I went to the hospital. They gave me one steroid shot and put me on the mag to stop labor. I was 0% dilated when I was admitted. The next morning I was at 5 and they had to deliver via c section due to breech position. Michael needed to be intubated as his lungs were not properly developed yet. He also had jaundice. They were also monitoring his mag levels as the medicine they put me on was in his system when he was born and he was lethargic for several days due to the mag. He was in the NICU for 3 1/2 weeks and is home on a monitor for apnea and heart rate. I pumped religiously every 3 hrs for 6 weeks and never got more than 2 oz total. Michael latched on within 2 1/2 weeks of being born with a nipple shield but after visiting with the LC several times we determined he was only taking about 1 oz from me. I quit nursing/pumping after 8 weeks as I wasn't producing enough for him.

Good luck!! Sending you thoughts and prayers!

Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Options

My Lil Mister came unexpected at 31 weeks for no reason, we spent 6 weeks 5 days in the NICU(it was a bit of a rollercoaster ride) he started life at 3 lb. 10 oz. 16 in. CPAP for 4 weeks on and off due to a staph infection, turns out that I?m a carrier of staph and could?nt breast feed, but now he?ll be 9 mo. In a few days is 21lb. 28 in and reaching all of his milestones ( actual age not adjusted) and is as healthy as can be? good luck

• Options
    Thanks so much ladies for all of your experiences! My heart goes out to you and all the moms of preemies on this board, like I mentioned I worked in a NICU forever (had to leave after having DS#1 as just couldn't do it anymore) but being on this side of things is a completely different experience!! I will keep you all posted :)
  • Options
    I had my son @ 32 weeks to the day and he weighed in a 3 lbs 3 oz and was 15 inches long. He was born naturally and was breathing on his own the moment he was born and throughout his NICU stay. He had no issues except for jaundice and not being able to suck, swallow and breathe. I attribute him being able to breathe on his own to having steroids shots prior to his birth. A few hours after he was born I began pumping and pumped every 3 hours for 10 months! Pumping every 3 hours is a great commitment, but know that your milk is the very best. Since I was not able to keep inside I vowed to atleast provide him with whatever milk I could. Luckily for me the nurses said I pumped enough for twins. I stored milk in my freezer and my parents freezer in order to keep a good supply going. He stayed at the hospital for 5 weeks and we were able to carry him and kangaroo with him a couple of days after birth.  My son is now a smart, sweet, and precious boy who loves to talk and smile. 32 weekers tend to do very well. I wish you and your twin boys the best of luck and a short and uneventful stay at the hospital.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My 32 weeker is now 3.5!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"