North Carolina Babies

Need ideas for activity at daycare

I want to go in one day to Holly's class and read a book to the class, and maybe do a craft that goes along with the book.

I was going to read Holly's current favorite book, Tickle Monster, (complete with tickle mitts..hehe), but the way people are these days, I don't know how I feel about tickling other people's children.. LOL. Or should I just do it? I don't have to actually tickle them, I could just pretend.. It's so cute! But you know... people are weird these days Smile.

If not, do you have any ideas of fun books that your DC loves, and maybe a craft that goes along with it? I could also do a snack instead, but it would have to be storebought, not homemade.

Any ideas? I'm drawing a blank...

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Need ideas for activity at daycare

• What about the Very Hungry Caterpillar? You could bring several egg cartons, split them down the middle, and have them color each section a different color and use pipe cleaners for the antennae? Maybe? Or has this been done?
  • imageerin_aaronsbaby:
    What about the Very Hungry Caterpillar? You could bring several egg cartons, split them down the middle, and have them color each section a different color and use pipe cleaners for the antennae? Maybe? Or has this been done?

Before I even saw this response, I was thinking The Hungry Caterpillar too.  I like the egg carton idea or you could have 1/2 the class create caterpillars and 1/2 create butterflies.  Just an idea.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm - I'm not usually crafty, but our daycare just did something with Ella' favorite book We're going on a Bear Hunt and then did puppets made out of plain paper lunch bags and they decorated them with eyes, nose, ears, etc.  It was cute b/c they chased each other around all day with their puppets. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecate1119:

Hmmm - I'm not usually crafty, but our daycare just did something with Ella' favorite book We're going on a Bear Hunt and then did puppets made out of plain paper lunch bags and they decorated them with eyes, nose, ears, etc.  It was cute b/c they chased each other around all day with their puppets. 

I like the puppet idea, but Going on A Bear Hunt can be a bit tedious to read (IMO). Caleb is currently obsessed with "Bear Snores On." You could do puppets with that book.

I recently saw this idea, you could do a song & the puppets. Not sure about a craft or a snack though. 

Another thought, you could read the Tickle Monster and make paper bag monsters. That would be fun. 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • our current fave book is "Tuck me in!" which isn't terribly appropriate for crafts.

What about the singalong books from Boynton?

Rae Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebecki777:

Another thought, you could read the Tickle Monster and make paper bag monsters. That would be fun. 

This is actually what I was thinking of doing... I think I'll do that. Some paper bags, and some paper cut outs and googly eyes for the monster faces. Should be pretty easy!

They've read Going on a Bear Hunt, and the Hungry Caterpillar recently. But thanks for all the ideas!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• imageMrsHughesNC:
    imagebecki777:

This is actually what I was thinking of doing... I think I'll do that. Some paper bags, and some paper cut outs and googly eyes for the monster faces. Should be pretty easy!

They've read Going on a Bear Hunt, and the Hungry Caterpillar recently. But thanks for all the ideas!

We just made paper bag puppets (randomly) at our house and Jocelyn was so freaking excited over it. I just thought of it when I saw a brown paper bag in our drawer and made the arms and legs out of colored paper and she drew all over it. I was going to suggest "If you give a cat a cupcake" and have them decorate cupcakes, but that is probably too messy. J is obsessed with that book.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"