Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Coil vs. Foam crib mattresses?

What did you get/do you have and do you like it?  Why?  I've read what baby bargains thinks and am looking for other opinions/experience.  I'm looking at the organics at Costco.com.  TIA!
TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coil vs. Foam crib mattresses?

• Options
    I got a coil one for DS merely because the weight limit went higher and DS's crib converts into a toddler bed.  I want him to be able to use it as long as possible.
  • Options

Get foam. Trust me.

We got a high coil count spring mattress for DS1 (a Sealy or Serta something), and that thing is so darn heavy to get in and out of the crib to change sheets, particularly now that it's on the lowest setting.

For DS2, we bought a Colgate Classica I and am blown away at the weight difference. Love it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejaxmom1:
    I got a coil one for DS merely because the weight limit went higher and DS's crib converts into a toddler bed.  I want him to be able to use it as long as possible.

Thanks!  I hadn't thought of this as the two I'm looking at don't say to what weight they are rated. Confused

IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),

Thankful for every day

• Options
    imageMereou12:

Get foam. Trust me.

We got a high coil count spring mattress for DS1 (a Sealy or Serta something), and that thing is so darn heavy to get in and out of the crib to change sheets, particularly now that it's on the lowest setting.

For DS2, we bought a Colgate Classica I and am blown away at the weight difference. Love it.

Thanks!  I had heard that this was the big advantage to foam, but strangely of the ones I'm looking at the coil one is 24 lbs. and the foam is 25 lbs... Confused

Thankful for every day

• Options
    Foam, because of the weight. Iknow you didn't ask, but there is no regulation on the use of "organic" for mattresses, if you are looking at lower priced ones from a place like Costco they may have some organic cotton in them but there will be conventional/petroleum based materials in them as well. It's a bit of a you get what you pay for, if you want true organic you need to look at the more expensive such as naturepedic.
  • Options
    FOAM!  It's amazingly easy to change the sheets w/ foam...trust me on this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Foam, definitely.

If for no other reason than they fit cribs better. We purchased a standard crib (Creations Baby) and 2 different coil mattresses left big gaps in the corners from the mattrress to the slats. After speaking with the store we purchased the crib from, they suggested a foam mattress because they are cut at 90 degree angles instead of being curved like the coil. It was like night and day the way the foam mattress fit perfectly into the crib, despite all 3 mattresses that we tried being standard crib size.

• Options
    We went with the Sealy Soybean foam-core crib mattress.  It's lightweight (less than 9 pounds) and fits so snugly into our crib (Graco Lauren) that there isn't any room for gaping.  I planned to get a crib-only mattress and will buy a toddler mattress later on, it only cost about $90 off Overstock.com so it wasn't like I was sinking a lot of money into it.
  • Options
    imageAmbsies:

imageCrazyToast:
    FOAM!  It's amazingly easy to change the sheets w/ foam...trust me on this.

This exactly.

ditto

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

imagesomewhereincali:
    Foam, because of the weight. Iknow you didn't ask, but there is no regulation on the use of "organic" for mattresses, if you are looking at lower priced ones from a place like Costco they may have some organic cotton in them but there will be conventional/petroleum based materials in them as well. It's a bit of a you get what you pay for, if you want true organic you need to look at the more expensive such as naturepedic.

Thanks for your feedback.  I think we know what we are getting with one like this.  Our objective is to get mattresses as "clean" as possible without spending $600+ for two.

Thankful for every day

• Options
    We bought foam and it is awesome! So light weight and easy to maneuver.
  • Options

this is what we bought, its foam organic from BRU we got it in the store, I didnt see it online but this is copied from the reg description of it. I like it bc it has an infant side and toddler side. with the 20% off cupon and the twins discount we got them for 215 each

Stearns & Foster Baby Dynasty Eco-Foam 2-Stage Infant-Toddler Mattress

By: Kolcraft 1001151Item #: 638696
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"