September 2011 Moms

How to wash those delicate hand-made blankets?

So we have two knitted blankets that were made for Cael. I don't know if it's a good idea to just throw them in the washing machine, even on the gentle cycle. How would you ladies wash them? Should I get one of those mesh bags for washing delicates? Or put them in a pillow case? I really don't want them to get ruined, especially since one of them will be used in his newborn photos. Thanks ladies!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How to wash those delicate hand-made blankets?

• I put the ones my grandma made me 31 years ago in the washing machine, on gentle in a pillow case and then hang dry with a fluff on the dryer once they are almost done.  This works great and they have lasted this long.

• I just use the gentle cycle with cold wash and cold rinse. Just make sure there's nothing in there that will snag the yarn (bra hooks, velcro, etc) and it should be fine. I'd prob air dry on a flat surface though.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on how tightly they are knitted. We've gotten 3 baby size knitted blankets from DH's uncle and they are super tight. We also have a few queen size ones. I usually just was them in a load by themselves because once all that yarn gets wet it gets pretty heavy (for the big ones). I also have a crochet one that I put in the washer. I've never had any problems with them coming apart. Just make sure they don't seem to have any unfinished ends.
  • I just washed some knit baby blankets and some baby quilts that my grandma made for me in the washer. I washed them on gentle with cold water and dried them on delicate and they were fine.I've always washed our handmade blankets in the washer.  If you are really worried about them then a pillow case would probably work.
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMrs.K23:

I put the ones my grandma made me 31 years ago in the washing machine, on gentle in a pillow case and then hang dry with a fluff on the dryer once they are almost done.  This works great and they have lasted this long.

Really dumb question - what does this mean? image 

• elyndselynds member
    It depends on the fiber - I would ask the gifter.  Some, like acrylic, you can easily wash and dry, but if it's wool you have to wash it on cold and air dry (otherwise it will turn into felt).  Either way, machine washing is OK, just make sure it's on a delicate cycle, cold water, and washed by itself.  I always include washing instructions when I give people knitted items, so I would definitely ask :).
  • imageJo&Matt6609:
    imageMrs.K23:

I put the ones my grandma made me 31 years ago in the washing machine, on gentle in a pillow case and then hang dry with a fluff on the dryer once they are almost done.  This works great and they have lasted this long.

Sorry, still a little tired here.  I dry them flat or hang dry them, then just as they are almost totally dry, I throw them in the dryer on the fluff cycle for a few minutes to soften them up, so the fabric doesn't get too crunchy.

• Thanks so much ladies! 

imageMrs.K23:
    imageJo&Matt6609:
    imageMrs.K23:

Sorry, still a little tired here.  I dry them flat or hang dry them, then just as they are almost totally dry, I throw them in the dryer on the fluff cycle for a few minutes to soften them up, so the fabric doesn't get too crunchy.

It's ok :)..that makes sense. Thanks! :)

• It depend a lot on the fiber used. If it's acrylic or a wool/poly blend, or something like that, gentle cycle should do it /w air dry. However, if the blanket was knitted exclusively of an animal fiber such as alpaca/cashmere/etc. (which, though scrumptiously soft, are a pain to wash) you need to hand wash it in cold water, do not wring, but rather pat dry, and then carefully air dry it. You could use a no-rinse fiber wash like Eucalan, or anything gentle used for lingerie.

Basically, treat blankets as you would sweaters; according to fiber.

• Gentle cycle, cold/cold, using Woolite - never anything stronger. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"