2nd Trimester
Options

Dog intuition!

For those of you with pets, do your pets know your pregnant? My dog ( 125 lb black lab newfoundland) knew within the first tri-mester.  I was sweeping the floor and it hit part of my belly and i stopped and instantly said ouch becuase it's a reflex word lol and he came up to me and looked all upset and kept tilting his head until i let him sniff and push his nose into my belly.  Any one else have super odd pets who just know? lol
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dog intuition!

• Options

It's impossible to know if dogs "know" that we're pregnant. Obviously, they can't come out and tell us. Your dog could have just been reacting to you saying Ouch, as it's probably something you've done before getting pregnant. 

It's possible they smell the different hormones that are produced/increased during pregnancy.

The dog in my siggie has become extra-cuddly since I found out I'm pregnant. My shepherd mix, on the other hand, isn't acting any differently.  

• Options
    Not sure if my dog knows but ever since I got pregnant she won't leave my side.  Like she is trying to protect me.  So cute :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejnatkaniec:
    Not sure if my dog knows but ever since I got pregnant she won't leave my side.  Like she is trying to protect me.  So cute :)

This!

Miley hasn't left my side.  She even stands guard outside the bathroom door.  I have to remind myself to watch out and not trip over her if I come out of a closed door.  She cries when I'm leaving for the day.  I wonder how she'll be when LO is actually here....

• Options
    I think my cats know something's up but aren't 100% sure what... As I get bigger and they try to cuddle me and feel movement I think they'll know.  I know my youngest one DEF doesn't know as she jumped on my stomach the other night and woke me up (hurt like hell).
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't think my dog knows I'm pregnant, but she does know something is up. She is uber protective of me recently and follows me like a shadow around the house.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
  • Options
    I would say so, my fur baby likes to lay with her ear pressed against my stomach like she's listening. She had never done that before, but started up at about week 15 or so.
  • Options
    I def think dogs can tell.  If i hurt my finger or say ouch for anythign else he doesnt acknowledge me, but if it deals with a stretching pain of getting up to fast or something he is right there staring at my stomach. Obviously he can't tell me he knows lol. My doctor says they can prob hear the extra heartbeat- they may not know what it is but they know somethign like that is going on!  Anytime the baby is active my dog wants to be super close to me and my stomach. When i'm gone the first thing he does when i get home is put his head next to where the baby is.   When i lost our baby this past winter he was the same way before but after would put his head by my tummy and then put his head down and be sad. He actually cried with his head on my belly. Super weird! He's never acted like any of that any other time except for when i've been pregnant!
  • Options

My female dog is extra cuddly and protective of me. She actually growled at the vet tech the other day when I took her in for her shots which is totally not in her nature. She does cuddle my belly a lot and she has never been one to do that with me at least.

My male dog is oblivious and still tries to stand on my stomach. 30lbs of dog on my stomach is not comfortable! Oh, he also barks at me to get out of bed now because I don't move fast enough for him anymore.

imageimageimage
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    My dog follows me everywhere now.  I don't think she knows I'm pregnant specifically, but she does seem to sense that something is different.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagejjmac:

My female dog is extra cuddly and protective of me. She actually growled at the vet tech the other day when I took her in for her shots which is totally not in her nature. She does cuddle my belly a lot and she has never been one to do that with me at least.

My male dog is oblivious and still tries to stand on my stomach. 30lbs of dog on my stomach is not comfortable! Oh, he also barks at me to get out of bed now because I don't move fast enough for him anymore.

That actually suits an OWT that I've heard, that animals and sometimes babies of the opposite sex of your baby will be more attached to you. It's funny because it's your female dog and you're having a boy. The last time I went to visit my DH cousin her animals were all that way with me, even though they never had been before, and they're all males and I'm having a girl.
  • Options
    my pup, stella (an 8-lb maltese yorkie mix), sure acted strangely during especially the first several weeks.  she is normally pretty independent, but she would not stop following me around.  she normally snuggles up to my fi more, but all of a sudden, she had to be with me and in my lap always.  now, she loves sleeping with me snuggled right up to my belly.  i joke that she's trying to keep the baby warm (like how a hen sits on an egg).  i think it's adorable.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagejnatkaniec:

This!!! LOL and if my husband tries to kiss me or is tickling me our male comes up and jumps on him to knock him out of the way and then stands between us.

Our Miracles: BFP- May 14, 2015... diagnosed with SCH. Collapsed Sac- May 29, 2015. Determined to be failed twin tetraploidy pregnancy.
    "Never in my arms, Always in my heart"

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

My dog started acting funny before I even knew I was PG.  She would follow me everywhere and lay her head on my stomach while I was sitting down.  It was one of the reasons I decided to take a PG test.

photo IMG_2317_zpsa2789747.jpg
  • Options
    I do believe dogs now, it's like when they sense you are sad or upset. My little guy (terrier mix) wants to cuddle with me all the time and rests his head on my tummy. He follows me around all day and barks like crazy if I go out alone when I go out with DH he don't bark. Our big guy (german shepherd) used to jump on me suddenly he stopped but he still jumps on my husband. It's like they know they have to be niccer to me for some reason.
    image image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"