Preemies
Options

My LO is off the NG tube (at home)!

My DD came home about a month ago with an NG feeding tube and monitor 2 weeks past her due date..  She had failed a swallow study in the hospital and was determined to be aspirating thin liquids.  Because of the recall on Simply Thick (the only thickener our NICU used), they couldn't test her for thickened liquids, so she had to be tube-fed when we got home.

We had a repeat swallow study done yesterday because the neonatologist and our pediatrician agreed that the risks from the recall (NEC) were significantly decreased one month after discharge from the NICU.  So, unfortunately she's still aspirating thin liquids, which means no breastfeeding for us, but she did great on thickened breastmilk.   So we ditched the tube and she's been taking all her bottles at home like a champ!

Our pediatrician wants her to stay on the monitor for one more week, and then we'll be tube and wire free!  I feel like she's getting to be such a big girl!  (even though she's only 7 1/2 pounds! :))

Oh, and she's 3 months old today :)

Ellie, mommy to Kate (4.20.06), Andrew (3.18.08) & Natalie (4.19.11), born at 34w1d Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: My LO is off the NG tube (at home)!

• Options
    Great news! You're one less tube/wire away from being free!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    congrats!! getting rid of the tube at home is SUCH  a great feeling!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wonderful news. That's great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Great news. Keep up the good work!

• Options
    beyogabeyoga member
    What thickener are you guys using?  DS still has his g tube but eats solids wonderfully.  We're just having trouble with the bottle.  TIA
  • Options

imagebeyoga:
    What thickener are you guys using?  DS still has his g tube but eats solids wonderfully.  We're just having trouble with the bottle.  TIA

Our pediatrician and neonatologist gave us the okay to use Simply Thick (despite the FDA warning).

Ellie, mommy to Kate (4.20.06), Andrew (3.18.08) & Natalie (4.19.11), born at 34w1d Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"