Success after IF

PCOS - How did you get your BFP? IUI? IVF?

Hi Ladies!

I have PCOS and really don't ovulate.  You can see my history in my siggy.  My RE wants to do IVF but we have to wait until January when I get new insurance with IVF coverage.  We are currently 100% OOP.  Until we can get the new coverage, we will continue with IUIs and hope that one of them works.

Which method gave you your BFP? 

Also, while I am on my break cycle, my RE put me on BCP to settle my ovaries down.  He hopes that I will have a better response to meds when I come off of the pill.  Any thoughts on this?  Next cycle we will do 100mg of Clomid CD3-7 and then 75IU Menopur cd8-10 with an IUI.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Lucky IUI #3 Clomid + Menopur + IUI = BFP!!!
Beta #1 (9.15.11) ~ 437!!! Beta #2 (9.19.11) ~ 1,854!!! EDD 05.24.2012 TWINS!!! BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: PCOS - How did you get your BFP? IUI? IVF?

• We did 2 rounds of Clomid and I had zero response.  So we went straight to IVF.

Took us 4 tries, but I also had an incompetent RE.

Good luck!

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • OMG you sound exactly like me! I get regular periods, but never ovulate because my ovaries are very Polycystic!

I did 6 cycles of clomid, 2 with IUI, then 4 cycles of injectables with IUI. I kept pushing for more IUI cycles, because my new insurance didn't kick until Jan! My last IUI with injectables was July, then I started BCP's in decemeber for Jan IVF!

IVF #1 worked for us, put 2 embies back in, one stuck and split, see siggy!

Good luck and I am here if you have questions!

I am getting ready to do IVF #2 in Spet/Oct.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 5 rounds of clomid, 2 rounds of injectables, 1 injectable IUI = BFNs

IVF #1 = BFP

IVF #2 = BFP

success rates for those where PCOS is the only issue are generally excellent. 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have PCOS - i used to have cycles about 50-70 days in length. I got pg on my own once with an O date of CD50 (ended in m/c)..... then I was with my RE.

I got pg with Griffin on our first cycle of 100mg clomid + met  + IUI and trigger. I had one follie.

I got pg with the twins on my 2nd cycle of the same protocol- only thing i did different was add in wheat grass pills from CD1 until IUI day.  I had 2 follies.  It was my 2nd cycle that time. First cycle was a bust - no true mature follies- i had a kidney infection that cycle and likely screwed things up.

best of luck to you!

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • imageLVBlvd:

This! PCOS patients can usually "make" a lot of eggs. My RE just told me the other day my ovaries are perfect for IVF, just not good for doing it on my own.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did not respond to clomid, but did respond to femara. It looks like that didn't work for you! Femara + IUI is what worked for me.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.Babbsy:
    imageLVBlvd:

This! PCOS patients can usually "make" a lot of eggs. My RE just told me the other day my ovaries are perfect for IVF, just not good for doing it on my own.

My RE told me that same thing!  I got 12 follies on 75IU Menopur for cd3-8!!!  My IUI was then cancelled. 

Lucky IUI #3 Clomid + Menopur + IUI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (9.15.11) ~ 437!!! Beta #2 (9.19.11) ~ 1,854!!! EDD 05.24.2012 TWINS!!! BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got my BFP on my 4th cycle of Clomid/IUI. 
    It's a GIRL! Born 12/16/10 Baby 2.0 is on the way! Due in June.
  • CHI-06CHI-06 member

IVF is what worked for me. 

Best of luck to you! :)

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • DD#1: I went through 5 failed IUI's (Clomid for 3 and Femara for 2) before having success with IVF #1. 

DD #2: Surprise BFP!!  Pregnancy temporarily "fixed" my PCOS and I was shocked to conceive on my own.  My PCOS is back and thriving so I recently went back on Met to help with it. 

Best of luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For #1 I did 4 rounds of clomid. 2 rounds that of follistim for IUI that were canceled due to over-response.  I got pregnant waiting for IVF consult on a break cycle.  Was only taking Met at the time.

For #2 Did 3 rounds of clomid.  1 round of femara (5mg) for IUI that might as well have been canceled for no response and then the 2nd round of Femara (7.5mg) with IUI worked.  When we went in for the IUI RE said we should try 1 more Femara/IUI then move to IVF.

I think I would have done well with a hybrid cycle also Femara or clomid + injects.

Good luck.  

TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Some PCOSers are notoriously bad responders to clomid.  I am one of them.

I concieved my daughter with metformin, femara and IUI.

I'd ask your RE about femara...we have SEVERAL femara babies on this board, and it is super, ridiculously cheap and has much fewer side effects than clomid. I'm a HUGE femara fan.

Good luck!!

• We did 5 rounds of clomid and 1 round of femara with my OBs.  After the anovulatory round with Femara my OB sent me to my RE who diagnosed me with PCOS and immediately started me on Metformin, despite all my bloodwork coming back normal.

3 months and one failed IVF later, we got pregnant the old fashioned way, while I was taking 1500mg/day of Metformin.

Good luck!!  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • clomid and femara never worked for me. i got my bfp from gonal-f +trigger+ iui. it was my 3rd iui but first with injects instead of pills.
  • I did 2 injectable IUI (Bravelle) cycles that were both BFNs.  My first fresh IVF was a BFN too.  My first FET was a success - we put back 2 and one stuck.  Good luck!
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We have had two surprise BFPs.  DS's came three cycles after a Femara+Menopur+Ovidrel cycle where I had three nice follies on the left and three tiny follies on the right and the Ovidrel had no effect = cysts on the left.  I suspect that I O'ed those three follies from the right based on the fact that the three cycles afterward were short for me and I got pregnant on the third one.  I had also been on a low carb diet and had been doing cardio five days a week for a year after metformin was determined to be a bad match for me (I lost too much weight and my estrogen levels plummeted).  

Our second BFP was my third cycle after weaning DS, we are cautiously expecting in February.  I attribute this one to the fact that it was still early enough after my hormone reboot that my PCOS had not taken its full effect yet.  I actually felt O pain (for days) with each of the three cycles and I'm pretty anovulatory.

Have you looked into Femara versus Clomid, I responded much better to Femara than Clomid... a lot of PCOS'ers do but not all.  Also, though more expensive, many PCOS'ers have better luck with follistim than menopur b/c of their individual LH and FSH levels.  Do you know what your levels/ratio are?

Good luck!!!

Succes after IF - DXN PCOS 2008 Surpise BFP 7/2009 Baby B was born 2/2010 Baby A is on her way; surprise! Due 2/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • IUI-I got my BFP from 200 mg of clomid (gave me one 30 mm follicle) with an Ovidrel injection the night before my IUI. MFI was also a slight issue with us (low morph)

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"