Washington Babies

Renting a house

So we are trying to decide which house to rent

We have 2 houses

One is at the top end of our budget and a 4 bdrm 3 car garage lots of space for both cars in garage and stuff and plenty of room for the kids stuff and entertaining etc-Management company great with responses etc

Option 2 Bottom of our budget 3 bdrm 2 bath, 2 car garage (only will be able to fit Escalade in it) and the garage currently does not have a motor to open it we have requested that a motor be put in the garage before we sign a lease- The management company has not been good with requests to see the place and has a reputation for not being responsive to repairs etc. But it is 200.00 a month cheaper and would work for us once we got the motor put in the garage it would be a tight fit for us and our stuff but it would work

Dh is wanting to go with option 2 because it is cheaper, and would fit mo

st of our needs and we could try for a year and then move at the end of the lease. I am leaning for Option 1 because it fits all of our needs and we could stay in it longer, and not have to move again next year and the management company is more responsive along with would we have to move again next year and may not find a bigger place and would end of paying more then we would be paying at option 1

thougts

Re: Renting a house

• I think it depends on how much the $200 a month would impact the rest of your budget.  If it's going to be a really tight squeeze and you won't be able to do things that are important to you, then option 2.  Or better yet, find a better option 2 with a better management...  But if $200 won't squeeze you much, I would rather be in a place I wanted to be in.
  • My thoughts are the $200 a month more sounds like it would be worth it if they other house is a complete headache and you have to deal with broken things.  What happens if the hot water heater breaks and you can't get them to fix it? 

imageimage Brothers! image
  • Loading the player...
  • Assuming you would just likely spend that $200 a month on something you didn't need anyway (like designer purses, shoes, clothes), I would lean toward option #1. If you have to waste a day trying to get something fixed all the time or the management company tries to screw you out of a deposit (and more) when you move out then the cheaper one is not always cheaper. 

Likewise I would probably say the same thing...if the smaller one had better management I would go for that one (even if it was the same cost as the bigger one.)

Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • imagetfarabians:

My thoughts are the $200 a month more sounds like it would be worth it if they other house is a complete headache and you have to deal with broken things.  What happens if the hot water heater breaks and you can't get them to fix it? 

ITA. I would much rather have to pay more and not deal with a management company that is known for being delayed/not fixing things. Plus, it is a huge hassle to move so I would prefer a place I could stay longer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just made this exact same decision and went with our option 1 - so happy we did, I love our house and know we can stay for awhile. The only downside is if they decide to raise rent and it is already at the top of your budget. In our case, I knew we'd spend the money elsewhere so we went for it and as a now SAHM I am glad we did because I feel like I can breathe in here with all of our stuff and not feel packed in. The boys are happier with the space too (granted we moved from a 3 bed 1200 sf condo we own to a 5 bed 2500 sf house). I've also noticed we just hang out at home a lot more, instead of feeling like we have to get out at every second which is actually saving us some money on unecessary spending.

GL - honestly I went with my gut, the house I was excited to move into, not just a house to move into.

• If you can afford it, I'd go with option #1.  Living somewhere that you don't really LIKE that much, and is a tight fit just isn't fun and makes you sort of miserable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"