Health & Exercise
Options

Healthy Meal Ideas For Camping

We'll be camping in a few weeks and while all of our dinners will be cooked over a hot campfire/grill all of our lunches have to be cold. Does anyone have any good ideas/suggestions for a healthy, well balanced lunch-- that doesn't include cold lunch meat of course? 

Re: Healthy Meal Ideas For Camping

• Options
    Our kids love PB & J for lunches while camping - well all the time!  Add a fruit cup and it sounds pretty balanced to me.
  • Options
    best thing I did was get a dutch oven, you can make anything in there, grilled chicken sandwiches/grilled cheese/pizzas anything, and add veggies, whatever you need, they make them and sell them at Walmart, REI, anywhere, awesome invention.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Whenever I camp, I make some salsa chicken in the crock pot beforehand with homemade salsa OR homemade taco mix and some water.  The shredded chicken in a ziploc keeps well in a cooler with ice.  I use it to make quesadillas loaded with beans, chicken and rice, etc.  I even put it in eggs for breakfast burritos.  It's a main staple of our camping meals.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    This reply has been edited by a moderator
    to remove the redirecting hyperlink spam

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARDS

• Options

We usually bring something to grill the first night, some kind of meat or fish and then do quesadillas or pasta for subsequent nights.

Lunches are usually more "snacky" since we're hiking.  Sandwiches, trail mix with lots of dried fruit and nuts, etc.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options
    What we normally do is cook some bonless, skinless chicken breast or pork tenderloin to use for sandwhiches instead of cold cuts.  You can also do a cold pasta salad with a ton of veggies in it.  We're camping next weekend and trying to make it as healthy as possible too! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    mvhydemvhyde member

You could try hummus and pita bread with cutup veggies.

Also wheat thins/ baked chips with a bean dip and salsa (because you don't need to refrigerate till after you open the jar).

Also you could take a canned hard cheese and crackers. and have it with cut up vegs.

Take canned tuna with you, get a hold of relish, mustard and mayo packets from a nearby sonic or such. Mix into drained tuna, eat on crackers. Eat with dried fruit (raisins, craisins, apple rings, pineapples, apricots).  

• Options

If you've got a way to keep it cold, I've been in LOVE with eggsalad sandwhiches for lunch (probably because of the vinegar in the mustard). The recipe I got for "lower fat" egg salad was

1 Boiled Egg plus 3 Egg Whites +  1/4 Cup of Light Sour Cream  +  Mustard, Paprika, salt and pepper to taste + 1 tsp Relish if desired =  2-3 sandwiches

It has a good balance of Protein and Carbs (bread) and some fat from the 1 egg yolk.

I'd say add a peice of fruit and you're probably good to go!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"