Breastfeeding

Would i know if i had a supply problem?

How could I tell?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would i know if i had a supply problem?

• Do you pump?  If so how much do you get when you pump?
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Pumping is NOT an indicator of how much milk your breasts produce - I have two sisters who were never able to pump more than an ounce or two, and they were able to feed four babies just fine between the two of them.

When they're really little, you go on the fact that they are peeing and pooping consistently, if they're sastified (i.e. sleeping/"milk coma" afterwards) and if they're gaining weight.

Supply and demand are your friend, so if you're worried, offer the breast more, and drink tons of water to just help things along. hth!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Good to know...I sometimes cannot pump that much either...but my DS fills diapers like a champ.
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • If you had a supply problem your DS would have weight gain problems. As long as she is gaining well then she is getting enough. Also wets and dirties are a factor.
  • Ditto pp - go by wet/dirty diaps and weight gain, not by how much you can pump.
  • I can also tell if it's dropped if DS gets fussy after eating, seems like he hasn't had enough, or stays sucking on the breast for long periods of time (when he's not trying to go to sleep). 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • To determine if I had a supply problem, my LC weighed DS before I nursed and then immediately afterward.  The difference in weight was the amount he took in (which for me was an abysmal amount).  I thought I was having a problem to start with because DS was not gaining enough weight and was never satisfied after a feeding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were out of state for weeks 2-6, and I didnt know I had a supply problem until I finally found a place to weigh her at week 4, and found out she was not up to birth weight.  Thinking back, there may have been signs, but being a first time mom, I missed them.  (My supply went down because she didn't suck properly, although I thought the first surgery at 1 week 6 days fixed it).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"