Preemies
Options

Nippling trial

I know its different for everyone but I thought I might get a general idea....my LO starts a nippling trial on Monday (he was born at 30 WGA and is now 4 weeks old)...how long did it take for your LOs to learn how to nipple? 
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage

Re: Nippling trial

• Options
    I've never heard of this term before...do you mean BF?
  • Options

He did fine the first time he did it.  Assuming you mean eating out of a bottle.

That said, they only gave him a very small amount, maybe 10-15ml? Anyway, they knew he was ready to try because of his vigorous suck on the paci.   He never had any desats because of it either, though I know that is common because babies forget to breathe when they are doing the sucking and swallowing. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The boys were really good eaters, it took them 3 weeks to go to full feeds every time from the bottle, and they both had major surgeries in that time frame. We seemed to be the exception rather then the rule in my NICU group of friends, it took up to 7 weeks for some of them to get the hang of it. Use the resources you have, don't be afraid to push for a feeding consult of thongs don't seem right, it might be something as minor as needing another style nipple. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My little man was born at 29 weeks. He started nippling when he was 4 weeks old. It took him 4 weeks to master the bottle (he had to eat all his feedings for a full 48 hours before he was released from the NICU). He started off great, but would sometimes have heart rate drops and desats while feeding in addition to some reflux. However the nurses kept telling us that one day it would just "click" for him. and it certainly did! He just came home this week and he's doing great. Hang in there! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"