Orange County Babies

Carpal Tunnel

Is anyone else out there getting carpal tunnel with their pregnancy?  I just started getting it in my wrists about a month ago, they go numb, tingle and burn at night when I am trying to sleep.  I have started to wear braces on my wrist when sleeping but they are not comfortable and cause a different soreness.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks 

Re: Carpal Tunnel

• I really don't have any suggestions but I wanted to let you know that mine went away shortly after giving birth. Good luck to you ;)
  • Mine was bad during pregnancy also - it was so bad sometimes I had trouble brushing my teeth!

Hang in there. I sometimes felt better not wearing the braces at night because it ended up being more uncomfortable to wear them. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Target sells a more comfortable brace especially made for sleeping and Rite-aid carries a super comfy wrist protector for using in typing. I use both, as I've suffered from carpal tunnel long before being pregnant. If it gets bad enough I take a tylenol and that does help a lot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine is really bad, too. I use Tylenol when it's really bad. Sometimes I'll ice my wrists at night. Mostly, I just have to get up and walk around and then go back to bed and that seems to help.
  • I've been dealing with the same issue (especially at night).  I have read somewhere to raise your wrists UP by propping them up on a pillow but that makes mine even worse.  

What helps mine is to get my hands lower than my heart so sometimes I'll hang them over the side of the bed.  Or, I've sometimes propped myself up into a more seated position (with a bunch of pillows to try to get as comfortable as possible) so that my hands are hanging lower than my heart.

Doc says not to take any ibuprofen but Tylenol is OK.

Good luck! 

• I have been suffering with this too!  It is especially bad at night while I'm asleep and first thing in the morning.  My doctor said that, unfortunately, there's not much to be done about it at this point especially since I'm at week 37 and that it should go away after the baby is born.  I feel so fortunate that I haven't had to deal with this for the entire pregnancy.

Since it is caused by swelling though and putting pressure on the nerves, I'm sure icing and keeping you arms elevated (as much as that's possible) should help.  I know the heat of the summer probably just exacerbates the problem. 

• not to be picky... but everyone has a Carpal Tunnel. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, however, is not fun.

It is very common during pregnancy, even for women who dont have a history of carpal tunnel syndrome.  As a massage therapist, I find the best thing for both myself and my clients is stretching and icing. do some nice, gentle wrist stretches- your Dr can show you, if you dont know any- and ice lots! I'm 30 weeks and have noticed a difference with icing and stretching within a day or so. if I feel like its starting to flare up or feel inflamed ice right away helps me with the rest of the day!

good news, tho, is that it will get better after baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"