3rd Trimester

At what stage of labor does your water break?

Don't know if it's in a specific stage or what...  Thanks!

Re: At what stage of labor does your water break?

• megd06megd06 member

it's not a specific stage--a lot of women have it broken for them. Mine was manually broken about 9 hours before DS was born. It makes contractions hell.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'll retell what my mom's experiences were with her four labors:

1st: Broken for her during transition.
    2nd: Broken for her before transition.
    3rd: Not broken, baby born in caul/membranes. (Claims was her easiest)
    4rth: Broke on own, labor did not start on own, induced 48+ hours later.

Mine was broken for me, but I resent it being broken because it made my labor speed up needlessly. I'm not planning on having it broken for me this time if it's needed. Would rather have baby born in the caul if anything -- just like every other warm blooded mammal out there. 

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Loading the player...
  • Sometimes never. I've had my water broken for me with both my boys.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I know for my mom, her water broke before she went into labor with me.... 
  • my water broke spontaneously both times.  with #1 it broke 7 hours before he was born.  with #2 it broke 20 mins before she was born.
    Floyd P. Bamker - can't spell
  • I was in labor for 6 hours (got to 6 cm, easy to remember both!) before my doctor broke my water. I hear it's more common to labor without your water breaking than for your water to break first.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Mine broke on its own before I had any contractions.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • With DD, I had contractions on and off during the entire day of my due date.  I was 3cm dilated at that point, but since the contractions were not regular I was not considered to be in labor.  At 11pm that night, my water broke just as I was laying down in bed.  Contractions became stronger and more regular at that point. DD was born (via C-Section) 22 hours later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Mine broke on it's own at 38w with DD.  My first "real" contraction was about 45 minutes later and she was born 10.5 hours after that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My water broke at 38wks 6 days with absolutely no contractions... I got up in the morning, literally heard a pop and it gushed. 22 hours later DS was born via c-section. My OB said it's pretty rare to have your water break to start labor (less than 10%)
  • I went into labor and when I got to the hospital I was 6cm dilated and my water had not broken yet.  But, my LO was breech so I had a C-section so my labor never went any farther than that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine broke spontaneously at 40w5d at 6am, in bed. Light contractions began immediately, but I did not deliver until 49 hours later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How about at whatever stage and sometimes never? After over 12 hours of labor my OB had to break mine for labor to progress. 4 hours later I started pushing. DS was born shortly after, at 40w6d. While my water was intact I was stuck at only 4cm.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I must be in the minority because my water broke on its own at home then contractions started. We arrived at hospital within an hour and I was already 5 cm dilated and in active labor. My labor went fast but apparently that is not normal for the first time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"