Illinois Babies

Relocating to Naperville or Wheaton...questions!

Can anyone shed any light on these areas?  We are moving ASAP to one of these areas as DH just accepted a job in Elmhurst.  My son will start kindergarten next month (here in MI we don't start school until after Labor Day but I see they start in August there) I guess....yikes!  We don't have a lot of time to move....We are heading to Chicago next weekend to find a rental...we want to rent until our home sells.  I am looking for a short term rental so we can buy a house as soon as this house sells.  So much to coordiante...any information appreciated or suggestions on where to rent!

We want to stay within Wheaton or Naperville schools but I don't even know whether it matters where in these districts we live....??  I hate the idea of starting DS in one school and then buying a house and being somewhere else, but I have little control over that right now since this is happening so fast.....  Any tips, suggestions, recommendations appreciated.  Oh and if anyone is interested in getting kids together to play, let me know!   DS will be so sad to leave his friends and cousins here....he's an only child and is close to best buddy in our neighborhood and his cousins......

Re: Relocating to Naperville or Wheaton...questions!

• I grew up in Naperville so I can try to help! Wheaton and Naperville both have decent school systems. There are two districts in Naperville, 204 and 203. 203 is Naperville and some of Bolingbrook I believe. 204 covers Naperville and some Aurora. I went through the 203 schools and had great teachers and great facilities. 203 covers a pretty wide area; I don't know exactly how many elementary schools there are and I think there are five junior highs and then there are two high schools. 204 is probably about the same size.My parents still live in Naperville and it is a great city. The downtown area is really lively and there are lots of nice neighborhoods. I am not as familiar with Wheaton. Pretty much all areas of Naperville are great to live in but have different benefits, i.e. closer to downtown or closer to the highway, neighborhood pools, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I currently live in naperville and am raising my 7 year old in the 204 school district.  We have always lived in the western suburbs, but moved to Naperville for the schools.  We have been extremely pleased with her educational experiences and the teachers at her school.  I am also very involoved with volunteering at her school.  One thing I can tell you is to be aware of the school boundary lines. Because there are so many elementary schools, you can be in one elementary school and move down the street or across the street and be in another elementary school.  You really can't go wrong with any of the schools in either 203 or 204.

Oh, one more thing I can suggest - look for neighborhoods with a LOT of kids.  We miss that over by where we live. The houses in our subdivision were built in 1986 so most of the families here have kids that are now going to college.  There are new families moving in, but the kids are younger than my DD.  I have to drive her to playdates because I'm very overprotective and don't want her to walk or ride her bike a few blocks over yet.

Good luck with the move and search!  Your son will love Naperville - it is very much a family town.

• Loading the player...
  • I am west in Downers Grove, but went to school in both of those towns. Both are great areas with great schools!

As pp mentioned, be very careful of boundary lines as the 204 in Naperville recently changed and caused an uproar.  In fact, many people sued their realtors because they felt they were given wrong info! Naperville is extremely large so be aware that there are several different "Napervilles".  North, Central, South, etc. so explore all over! 

I went to high school in Wheaton and LOVED it. Great town, very family oriented.  Just a fun fact, Trivia Pursuit says Wheaton has "more churches per capita than any other town in America".  It is known as the bible belt - something you may absolutely love or not just depending on your individual beliefs, etc.  

Good luck!!!  

DS: Born November 2011
    TTC #2 since April '13
    DH 35, Me: 34
    DX: Unexplained Secondary Infertility, Slight DOR
    Sept 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel) = BFN
    Oct 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel + Progesterone) = BFN
    Nov 14- Benched due to cysts Looking for New Doc
    Feb - IUI #3 (Letrozole + Ovridrel)
    March/April - IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - Follistim+HGH+Low Dose HCG - 11R/9M/5F - 2 8 cell 3dtransfer - BFN on April 23, 2014

• I also grew up in Naperville.  As the previous posters stated, both district 203 and 204 are good.  The community is clean and secure pretty much as a whole.  I would raise a child there without a second thought.

Good luck making your decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"