Maine Babies

Head Shape

I feel like my baby's head is lopsided or somewhat flat in the back.  I guess my question is, what does the back of your baby's head look like?  Is it perfectly round or flatish in certain spots?

At his one month appt the ped said that it is flat-ish in one spot but I feel like since then it has gotten worse.  Maybe I am just worried over nothingl. 

It took over four years to be diagnosed with PCOS. We TTC #1 for 18 months, did 5 rounds of Clomid and finally moved onto IVF...which worked! Throughout our IF journey, we suffered 3 miscarriages. We conceived both DD and DS without treatment.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Head Shape

• She doesn't sleep on her back. I think that's what has kept her head round in the back. It's got a few hills & valleys, but round for the most part.?

I would definitely call the pedi if you feel it's gotten worse.

He will tell you what to do in order to avoid needing that helmet thing to fix it. A lot of babies have the same issue and a lot of mothers don't find out there's a problem until much later. ?

• Definitely worth bringing up with the pediatrician. 

Kate's head is flatter on one side than the other due to her Torticollis (muscles on one side of her neck are shorter than the other...she was squished when I was pregnant with her).  We have to stretch her neck daily and adjust her positioning (we move her toys and will bumper her head) so that she turns the other way so we can minimize the flat spot. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yes.  My baby's head is that way.  I am planning to ask my pedi about this in a couple of weeks.  All I know is that if it is flatter on one side than the other, you are supposed to move the visual stimulation to the other side of their head so they spend more time looking that way.  I have tried this, but my baby always falls asleep with his head in the same position so I am not sure what to do about this. 
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Thank you!  I planned on bringing it up at our next appt.  Where do your babies "hang out" during the day?  My little guy likes his swing, bouncy seat and boppy.  At night I can try to position his head but it is harder during the day.
    It took over four years to be diagnosed with PCOS. We TTC #1 for 18 months, did 5 rounds of Clomid and finally moved onto IVF...which worked! Throughout our IF journey, we suffered 3 miscarriages. We conceived both DD and DS without treatment.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • my pedi told me to do more tummy time to help prevent this
  • dd spends a lot of time sitting in her boppy while we play, read, sing or hanging over an arm superman style. she likes to see out and have her arms & legs dangling.?

she also likes being over my shoulder. ?

• Willem's head is still pretty round.  I worry about it getting flat, too, especially because he doesn't always like to turn his head while he sleeps.

• Kellen's head is round.  I worry b/c he is in his car seat a lot since that's where he sleeps best, but so far no head issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"