Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

FF @ 7mo?

My sil recently was asking my SO if we are still RF and he told her some of the recommendations. Alot has changed since her kids were babies and she thinks its crazy about how ppl do things so differently now. She said at 7months her pedi told her she could FF her daughter since she was such a big baby. . . . . Im serious.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FF @ 7mo?

• Options
    I don't know how old your SIL is but my mom was saying they never put me RF. I left the hospital in my moms lap and my carseat went in the front seat FF
  • Options

My SO and his brothers and sisters range in age between 29-34. His youngest brother who is 25 was the only one to ride home in a carseat I am pretty sure. Sil's oldest daughter is 16yo and youngest is 9.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Was this back in the 80s when children weren't required to be buckled up and people rode around in the beds of pickup trucks? Things change because of research. Apples to oranges, but cigarettes didn't always have surgeon general warnings on them. KWIM?
  • Options
    I was carried home in my mom's arms.  She told me I had a little bed in the back seat she could put me in if needed.
    image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • Options
    Growing up we would drive to MI from FL for xmas. The backseats in the minivan would lay out to a bed so we could all nap on the way up comfortably. Thinking about that now is really scary!
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• Options
    imageTurbid:
    Was this back in the 80s when children weren't required to be buckled up and people rode around in the beds of pickup trucks? Things change because of research. Apples to oranges, but cigarettes didn't always have surgeon general warnings on them. KWIM?

Definetly. I was just sharing because of all the RF  vs FF. I just think the big huff over who RF and FF is silly. People not very long ago didnt use either and kids were fine. I think as long as ppl are following the current minimum requirements its all good. I wont if the judgey-pp about RF will be able to sleep tonight after reading this.
  • Options

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

Definetly. I was just sharing because of all the RF  vs FF. I just think the big huff over who RF and FF is silly. People not very long ago didnt use either and kids were fine. I think as long as ppl are following the current minimum requirements its all good. I wont if the judgey-pp about RF will be able to sleep tonight after reading this.

Umm ... I get what you're saying overall, but kids who got into car accidents pre-car seats weren't always necessarily "fine."

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

Heeeere we go again.  Just because we all survived not riding in carseats when we were younger doesn't mean it's safe.  Would you keep a crib knowing there was a recall on it because, you know, there were OTHER kids that used that crib and hadn't broken an arm or fell out? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedragon_chica:

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

Heeeere we go again.  Just because we all survived not riding in carseats when we were younger doesn't mean it's safe.  Would you keep a crib knowing there was a recall on it because, you know, there were OTHER kids that used that crib and hadn't broken an arm or fell out? 

Dude do you see my ticker? I RF. I believe in it. I will do it until the kid maxes the carseat. But I dont think ppl need to be breathin down each others necks over it. Its each parents choice. As long as they are meeting the min requirements/legal requirements then mind your own business.
  • Options

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  But with the sentence that I bolded you definitely came off as defending someone's weak justification to FF.

• Options
    imagedragon_chica:

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  But with the sentence that I bolded you definitely came off as defending someone's weak justification to FF.

No, but I think if people are already aware of the recommendations ect and still choose not to for whatever reason, a msg board isnt going to change thier minds kwim?
  • Options
    imagedragon_chica:

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

No, but I think if people are already aware of the recommendations ect and still choose not to for whatever reason, a msg board isnt going to change thier minds kwim?
  • Options
    imagejackieobride:
    imagedragon_chica:

imagejackieobride:
    imageTurbid:

Yeah, I kwym.  That's why I try to stay out of those posts!

• Options

Why wouldn't a message board be able to change someone's mind?  It's a discussion board, everything is open for discussion.  Sometimes people need to hear/see things many many times before it sinks it.  I had no idea about the RF/FF deal before hearing about it on message boards and it was after reading many many posts that I decided on ERF for my little guy. 

There are definitely thousands of kids and adults who are "not fine" because they were riding in a car without a carseat or seatbelt.

• Options
    imageKadensMommy1015:

Why wouldn't a message board be able to change someone's mind?  It's a discussion board, everything is open for discussion.  Sometimes people need to hear/see things many many times before it sinks it.  I had no idea about the RF/FF deal before hearing about it on message boards and it was after reading many many posts that I decided on ERF for my little guy. 

There are definitely thousands of kids and adults who are "not fine" because they were riding in a car without a carseat or seatbelt.

ITA that a msg board can help to inform, educate, open someone's eyes to an issue that they may not be aware of or not fully knowledgeable about.  But, as the OP stated, if the person is fully aware of all of that and still decides to FF their child at 12 months there's not a whole lot a bunch of strangers can do.  And by repeating the same thing over and over and saying to those folks that they're horrible people for doing that is basically shoving your opinion down someone's throat and those folks may not care to have their opinions changed.  I find it less frustrating to focus on my own child and until it directly affects me those folks can choose what they want to do.  It may make me sad for the tragic possibilities but in the end it's none of our business.

• Options
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageKadensMommy1015:

ITA that a msg board can help to inform, educate, open someone's eyes to an issue that they may not be aware of or not fully knowledgeable about.  But, as the OP stated, if the person is fully aware of all of that and still decides to FF their child at 12 months there's not a whole lot a bunch of strangers can do.  And by repeating the same thing over and over and saying to those folks that they're horrible people for doing that is basically shoving your opinion down someone's throat and those folks may not care to have their opinions changed.  I find it less frustrating to focus on my own child and until it directly affects me those folks can choose what they want to do.  It may make me sad for the tragic possibilities but in the end it's none of our business.

This is a little more of what I meant. Obviously a msg board can influence ppl but in this situation where we seem to discussed RF vs FF daily with the same group of women (give or take a few) it gets to be less than just informing ppl and more about forcing opinions on each other.
  • Options
  • Options
    imageBeckypooh09:
    Growing up we would drive to MI from FL for xmas. The backseats in the minivan would lay out to a bed so we could all nap on the way up comfortably. Thinking about that now is really scary!

This is what we did! My Dad even hooked up a tv/vcr to the cigarette lighter so we could watch movies. My Dad would also put us on his lap so we could help him drive Hmm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"