December 2011 Moms
Options

How much of a focus is pregnancy nutrition during your prenatal appts?

I am just curious how much time your dr.'s/midwives spend talking about nutrition during your appts?
someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

Re: How much of a focus is pregnancy nutrition during your prenatal appts?

• Options
    Other than asking me about my water intake and prenatal vitamins, nothing so far.
  • Options

ZERO, we don't discuss nutrition at all

HOWEVER - I have hyperemesis and lost 20 lbs so anything I can eat will do

II was a normal weight before the pg so there hasn't been a concern.

I find doctors speak more about nutrition if the patient is over or under weight

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Basically no time spent talking about this. I'm overweight, and was on Weight Watchers before the BFP. The only thing my doc said was that I will gain weight. However, I've been down about 5 lbs., and they haven't said anything about that.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    mrsabpmrsabp member
    I took an early pregnancy class offered by my doctors office when I was about 8wks, about a third of the class was spent going over nutrition. However, my doctor has not said anything about it.
  • Options

I was just curious because the midwives we have seen are really different about it. We never talked about it or discussed it with the CNM we saw with number one. She just made sure my weight gain looked good & moved on. The CPM spends a significant amount of time on my diet and she is teaching me a lot. It is just striking how different the two practices are.

FTR, the CPM appts are almost 45 minutes as opposed to the 10 min. appt with the last pg and I am not over or underweight. My pre-pregnancy BMI was 20 if that gives a good picture.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

• Options
    Nothing beyond the list of "Don't eats" at my first appointment.
  • Options
    It came up a little in my first appointment, only because I asked and was worried about not getting the right nutrients during the first trimester because of morning sickness.  My midwife said 'I consider first trimester survival' so it didn't really seem like she cared what I was eating, just that I stayed hydrated and was able to keep some food down.  It didn't come up in my last appointment either, but I actually lost 2lbs since my first appointment.  She does ask about prenatals, but nothing specifically about my diet.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It came up at both my appointments. She wanted to know wht I have been eating, adn then advised that I start rounding out my diet as the ms goes away. I got scolded a little for not gaining any weight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagehaleymay18:

I was just curious because the midwives we have seen are really different about it. We never talked about it or discussed it with the CNM we saw with number one. She just made sure my weight gain looked good & moved on. The CPM spends a significant amount of time on my diet and she is teaching me a lot. It is just striking how different the two practices are.

FTR, the CPM appts are almost 45 minutes as opposed to the 10 min. appt with the last pg and I am not over or underweight. My pre-pregnancy BMI was 20 if that gives a good picture.

I commented on your thread on the natural birth board, but I'll comment here, too. My CNM spends lots of time with me (usually around 30 minutes or so), and always asks about my diet and exercise. Maybe it just depends on the mw and not whether she's a CNM/CPM?

DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • Options

Not much. My CNM practice was a little concerned when I didn't gain weight until 24 weeks with #1, but they just went over what I was eating and that's all. I'm still down about 2 lbs with this pregnancy, and I really didn't have m/s, it's just how my body grows babies. The weight comes on steady from about week 24 on... I am sure if I had lost a lot of weight or put on a ton in a short period they would have discussed nutrition.

FWIW, I also have a background in nutrition, which they know, so that may be the reason my practice doesn't go over it too much with me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Never... once she said "make sure to drink lots of water" but that is it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

At my first appointment, I was handed a few brochures on nutritional guidelines.  I also had a full metabolic panel done to see how my nutritional levels were.  They were able to identify that I was still low on Vitamin D and needed an additional supplement.  

Since then, nothing.  Frankly, I'm an intelligent person and don't need them lecturing me on nutrition.  If I had questions, I would ask. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
  • Options

zero. which is part of the reason I love my OB. His consistent lines to me are " Do you have any questions?" "Ok if you don't have questions, I wont lecture you like you have never done this before, since you are old hat now." Love him, he says them each time.

• Options
    SHUVUUSHUVUU member
    Not too much but I did get a very detailed call from the insurance company (Humana) the nurse probably spent a good half hour discussing nutrition. She will be calling me in a few weeks to do a follow up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDiademChi:

Since then, nothing.  Frankly, I'm an intelligent person and don't need them lecturing me on nutrition.  If I had questions, I would ask. 

I would like it known that I am a fairly intelligent gal also and I don't consider it a lecture when we go over nutrition. She doesn't side eye me or condescendingly treat me like I am in 7th grade health class. Perhaps if she did, I would be uncomfortable and probably switch providers but I am actually really liking the time we spend on it.

But different strokes, hey?

• Options
    We spend about 5 minutes talking about my nutrition sense I had GD with DS1 (but not with DS2).
    Becky: Mother to John Barrett 10/9/2007, Evan 3/19/2010, and sweet pea 12/23/2011 image BabyFruit Ticker Graphics http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5147/5577181999_cafa515c27_m.jpg
  • Options

I think I've been the only one to bring anything up and it's been rare.

• Options
    SaraTFSaraTF member

None! 

My doc asked if I was taking prenatals at my first 2 appointments but that was it. I'm pretty normal weight to begin with and have always had great stats (blood pressure, etc.) so they don't mention it.  

• Options
    ZERO only in our first appt did we talk about eating more food cus I couldn't eat much.
  • Options

imageteetime345:
    Nothing beyond the list of "Don't eats" at my first appointment.

Ditto. 

• Options

Zilch. I've only had three appointments so far (and a phone intake appointment) so I'm not sure if it will come up in the future or not.

I would love a 45 minute appointment. I love my OB but I can tell she's busy and is crunched for time. I feel guilty asking her lots of questions. If I didn't live so far out in the sticks (delivering at Fairview Lakes) I'd love to go to a practice that has midwives. 

• Options

Nothing! It's crazy! 

One of the first thing my NP told me was "Eat everything in sight." Horrible advice. Nutrition deserves more- it's all your baby gets! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"