Minnesota Babies
Options

Potty Training?

My son just turned 18 months and I'm due in August, I thought I might give a go at potty training before baby gets here.  Any tips on potty training would be greatly appreciated!  How can I tell if he's ready, best ways to go about it etc.  He went #1 on the potty this morning but I'm not sure where to go from here!

Re: Potty Training?

• Options

honestly? 

wait. 18 months is really young, especially for a boy. It's possible he's ready...but it's very unlikely.

I personally would recommend the book "Stress Free Potty Training". There's even a quiz in the beginning that helps determine which teaching method will most likely resonate with your LO. 

But it's SO easy if you wait until they are undeniably, absolutely 100% ready. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If he is ready go for it but I would have to agree it might be to early. We started when he was around 22ish months & we are still working on P/T (some days are better then others but I find it WAY easier to change pull ups then diapers). I didn't use a book but I did put him in the potty every 30 mins and I let me wonder around pants less, but only for the first week or so.

Also we LOVE our Fisher Price Froggy Potty  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When would you two suggest to start? I have been trying to figure out a "normal" or "good" time to start M. I am thinking Oct/Nov she will be almost 2.
    "imageimage
    The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog
  • Options

We started when we did (around Jan-Feb) because I KNOWN we would be stuck inside all day. I kinda followed the 3day method. Also one thing I find odd is that Aiden will do really good staying dry and telling me when he as to go when we are out & about but when we are home it's a whole another thing (it's as if he gets to busy playing with his toys he forgets ) 

My feeling is give it a shot & try it if it don't work oh well and try it again in a few months  

• Options

I'm thinking we'll give it a try for a couple of days and if it doesn't work wait until after baby.  It's great to be able to get others' opinions though, my mom seems to think we should get it done no problem!

• Options

imagemrsadamswife:
    When would you two suggest to start? I have been trying to figure out a "normal" or "good" time to start M. I am thinking Oct/Nov she will be almost 2.

we tried just before 2, and it was a giant fail. Plus, there can be other issues by pushing it too soon. 

We waited until she showed signs she was ready, and we had her fully potty trained in 2 days.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Remember that it's not a one-day process...  When he does anything in the potty at this point, make a big happy dance deal out of it for him, call Grandma if you have to...  Same goes for going in the diaper make a sad face...  Start with the wearing pullups too as he's catching on...  Overnights will come with time, so be easy there...  When things start to turn a corner, you can switch to the pullup style cloth diapers and rubber pants..  Then as he's able to go for about a month without accidents then start transitioning into the character undies...

We started DD around 18mo and were completely done at 26-28mo. including the overnights.  The thing to remember is that it's a process and the earlier you start and reinforcing things like going potty before you go somewhere, potty books, etc. the easier the time will be.  Patience is a big part of it, but the sooner you get them going on the potty themselves the fewer diapers you have to change!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This may be stupid but is it a cloth diaper with some kind of rubber outside to it?  This morning he's already been running to the bathroom and been going number 1 so I think we'll try to keep at it, I've got him in pull ups but was wondering if it's too much like a diaper?

• Options
    I was having a "Mommy Moment" and couldn't think of the name - they're "training pants"...  Gerber makes them.  We got them at Walmart in the baby section.  The rubber pants part is separate from the training pants so they're easier to wash/keep clean but now they make them as one piece, but not sure what my opinion would be there since those weren't around when we trained DD...  The other nice thing about them is that if the kiddo has an accident they actually FEEL wet so they start to realize "I don't like feeling wet or being stinky - it's icky!".. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"