December 2011 Moms

Gender Reveal Ideas - Please vote!

Please help!  I have two ideas for the gender reveal for my family, and I'm not sure which to pick.  We are finding out during an elective ultrasound this Friday, and originally I wasn't going to see my family until two weeks at a family vacation.  We always take family photos on the beach, so I was going to setup our camera to take the large family photo, and right before the picture goes off, say something like ' Baby girl/boy B is really kicking hard today' and the photo will capture everyone's expression when they found out.  I really like that idea, but the problem is I am horrible at keeping secrets!  It was OK before, because I wasn't going to see my family until vacation.  Now an impromptu BBQ is being planned for Saturday, right after we find out!  I know myself, and know the odds of me keeping this secret are slim.  So my other idea is to create a playlist of songs - all about either boys or girls, and let it play on repeat during the BBQ.  Once someone picks up on it (I know it might take a while...) we will confirm what we are having.  

Sorry this is so long, but what would would do?  Try to wait it out to do the family photo idea, or spill the beans this weekend using the playlist idea?   

[Poll]
laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Gender Reveal Ideas - Please vote!

• A BBQ would be the perfect place to do cupcakes with blue or pink frosting. I hate gender reveal parties but I think the cupcakes at an already planned occasion are really sweet :)
    someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• We are doing a cake at a family cookout when my hubby's grandparents come in from out of state this weekend.  Pretty much everyone but them knows already (we wanted to tell them in person) so we are letting them cut the cake :)  Plus... I have been craving cake from this bakery ever since I went in to order the cake!
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehaleymay18:
    A BBQ would be the perfect place to do cupcakes with blue or pink frosting. I hate gender reveal parties but I think the cupcakes at an already planned occasion are really sweet :)

We thought about this too.  It would be a fun way to reveal our little surprise! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hrm, well I don't know that most people would pick up on the playlist thing?  It seems a bot too subtle.  I like the cupcake suggestion too!  I think for the picture thing, it might be better if you set the camera to record instead of just taking a picture because it usually takes people a while to relax. 

Why don't you say you want to take a family picture at the bbq, but set the camera to record and then tell the news then?  No reason to wait for the beach if you are going to tell at the bbq anyways, and then you can truly capture the reactions instead of just a quick snapshot?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehaleymay18:
    A BBQ would be the perfect place to do cupcakes with blue or pink frosting. I hate gender reveal parties but I think the cupcakes at an already planned occasion are really sweet :)

Agree with this.... love the cupcake idea!

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm impatient so I wouldn't be able to wait past the BBQ so I'd do it then. The song idea is really cute but it might take a while for someone to pick up on it like one of the pp's said .. the cupcake idea is really cute. I thought about doing that for my last pregnancy. I also saw an idea (maybe on here?) that I really liked using balloons. You could get a bunch of yellow balloons blown up with helium and bring them to the BBQ .. inside each one you put a piece of paper saying "It's a....?" and in only ONE you put "It's a GIRL/BOY" so only one person will get the balloon revealing the gender. Pass them out .. everybody pops their balloon at the same time and the "winner" is the one getting to announce the gender found inside their balloon. Again this was NOT my idea but I really loved it .. I don't remember who's it was but I think it was someone on this forum. Either way it's unique and fun for all :)  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    imagedomesticatedhuman:

Why don't you say you want to take a family picture at the bbq, but set the camera to record and then tell the news then?  No reason to wait for the beach if you are going to tell at the bbq anyways, and then you can truly capture the reactions instead of just a quick snapshot?

This is what I was going to suggest! I like the picture idea better than the playlist idea. I say do the picture at the BBQ.

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• imageLinds1224:

I'm impatient so I wouldn't be able to wait past the BBQ so I'd do it then. The song idea is really cute but it might take a while for someone to pick up on it like one of the pp's said .. the cupcake idea is really cute. I thought about doing that for my last pregnancy. I also saw an idea (maybe on here?) that I really liked using balloons. You could get a bunch of yellow balloons blown up with helium and bring them to the BBQ .. inside each one you put a piece of paper saying "It's a....?" and in only ONE you put "It's a GIRL/BOY" so only one person will get the balloon revealing the gender. Pass them out .. everybody pops their balloon at the same time and the "winner" is the one getting to announce the gender found inside their balloon. Again this was NOT my idea but I really loved it .. I don't remember who's it was but I think it was someone on this forum. Either way it's unique and fun for all :)  

I LOVE the balloon idea! I haven't heard that before! So great!

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• imagehaleymay18:

Ditto.  I think the music idea is too subtle, or could possibly become too annoying depending on the music chosen. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!  The votes are 50/50, but I like all the ideas about doing cupcakes at the BBQ!  I think that is the way I'm leaning.  We can also setup the camera and record (maybe use video?) eating the cupcakes so we can have that memory too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • QmommyQmommy member

I voted BBQ.    My DH and I have decided to wait until our Cruise on July 29th to announce the sex to my inlaws.  We find out tomorrow!!  :)  Of course we'll see them before the 29th and it's going to be hard keeping the secret (especially since my MIL is babysitting my DD while we go to the a/s)!!!  I'm going to try to stay strong though.    

Have fun! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • you could do the BBQ and have a cake... pink or blue incing inside for girl/boy :) Maybe have your parents or someone cut it open for the surprise!
    Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 
    ...baby #3 boy MC at 10 weeks

• Release blue or pink balloons from a box or black bag?

Unwrap a boy/girl outfit from a package?

Unfurl a banner?

Have a pinata filled with themed or blue/pink candy or other items?

But definitely record it, whichever you decide!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"