Nurseries and Baby Gear

Is a bathtub thermometer even necessary?

Thinking about getting one since it has great reviews on walmart.com, but don't know if it will even be used.  Is it a necessity??

Thanks!

Re: Is a bathtub thermometer even necessary?

• I registered for this one because it's only $3.50 and could double as a little bath toy.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2737986&fromRegistryNumber=46612459&product_skn=362118

• We have a duck with "HOT" on the bottom that changes colors if the water temp is too hot.  I found it useful for the first few baths because I wasn't sure what would be considered too hot.  I like it now because anyone who gives a bath can check the temp to make sure it isn't too hot for baby.  You don't need more than one and you probably don't even need to register for it.  I think I got like 3 or 4 and had to return several of them because I only needed one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the little ducky that says "HOT" when it's too hot.  Not sure if mine is broken, but the water literally had to be stone cold to not say hot.  Even if it was the slightest bit warm it made the word hot appear.  So for me, it was pretty useless.
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • imageemsrdh03:
    I have the little ducky that says "HOT" when it's too hot.  Not sure if mine is broken, but the water literally had to be stone cold to not say hot.  Even if it was the slightest bit warm it made the word hot appear.  So for me, it was pretty useless.

Agreed - the duck is a waste.  Mine says "hot" even when lukewarm.  Oh, and we have 2...

Don't worry about getting it for a thermometer, but if you want it as a toy - go for it. 

For the water temp we use our hands/arms and common sense.  =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You do not need one. Just test the water with your own hands/arms.
  • skioskio member
    We don't have one. Most tubs have some sort of indicator that changes color if the water is too hot. I've always just tested the water on my wrist before filling the tub or whatever, and my daughter has yet to be scalded. ;)
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Totally unnecessary. Just feel it first with both hands/wrists whatever.
  • KGF625KGF625 member
    I got the little rubber duck that says if the water is hot or not, but it really wasn't something I needed. I used my own judgement to see if the water was the right temperature or not.
  • I think these are useless.  Stick your hand in first and decide.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agreed. Our duck is whack too. I just use my arm.
  • We've made it over 3 years without one.
  • Unless you lost all nerves in your hands and arms don't bother with a thermometer.  I find that to be one of those, "useless things to get FTP to spend more $$"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much!!  Guess I'll leave that one at the store! :)
  • imagemakclair:
    You do not need one. Just test the water with your own hands/arms.

This is what we do- easy enough and it's free!

• We got a digital turtle one that reads the actual temp of the water and I've found it helpful.  Mostly because I like showers and water scalding hot, so something that feels lukewarm to me feels hot to my husband and it definitely too hot for a LO.  In our case it was worth the couple dollars and I still use it with DS.
  • I would say so. I used mine all the time with DD and plan to get another one for LO #2 b/c the first one no longer works. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"