Postpartum Depression
Options

Can PPD/PPA cause attachment issues?

I've been struggling with PPD/PPA since DD was born 10 months ago.  I just started going to a therapist about a month ago.  I am currently on Lorazepam as needed for high anxiety situations. 

At one session, my therapist mentioned that she didn't want me to worry about attachment issues with my DD.  Well, that was probably the worse thing to say to me (the Internet searcher).  I went home that night and researched what could happen to babies if their mother's had PPD/PPA.  Now I am obsessed with thinking that I caused horrible damage to my DD and she has an insecure attachment to me.  Not too mention so many of the things she does are "symptoms."

Has anyone else heard of this?

Re: Can PPD/PPA cause attachment issues?

• Options
    I dont know for sure, but I have been feeling very down these past 2 weeks, and I fear DS is sensing it, because he has been very cranky, and he cant see me walk out the door because he starts to cry, he would always be ok by himself but now he cannot be without me, I wish I could go back to my old self but I dont know how, I hate feeling this way, I want to love my baby again and feel happy..... this is awful..
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Your babies are both around the age where they naturally develop separation anxiety. I really think it is more their age and development stage than it is sensing your anxiety. I am going through the same thing right now (PPA for me and separation anxiety for DS) and it is hard, for sure. It's definitely something to discuss with your doctors since I am sure they will have suggestions. Hugs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have read and fully believe that it does, however I don't believe it's that damaging for the long term. I spent 6 months (total) in the hospital and DD clearly did not develop an attachment to me during that time. She is a little slower in speech development as well as fine motor development. My psychiatrist agrees that the PPD has contributed to her being a little bit slower, but she said that she is so young that she can catch up in no time.

Now she has started giving me kisses and initating contact. this is a huge thing for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"